Woodley says he didn't have financial incentive to heavily promote UFC 201

Obviously he has a better idea as to how this shit works than any of us. I'll side with the guy that actually fights on this one.

Obviously he's doing it wrong because he still doesn't have his "financial incentive."

I don't pretend to be an expert on how to do it, but I don't have to be. I just need to look at real case studies of people who have made it and they aren't whining the way he's whining.

Conor, Ronda, heck even Bisping got PPV points long before he got the belt, and these people made tons of cash by promoting themselves and building a fanbase. And they did it not by whining like this, or complaining that they're not making enough, they just went out there, talked shit, got mindshare with the fans and put their money where their mouth is.

Woodley can prove me and the people who have already written the blueprint wrong, but I'm pretty sure he won't.

He's the new Johny Hendricks. Everything out of his mouth makes you want to like him less.

He needs to have a sit down with Uncle Chael.

no PPV points so why bother to promote? even the UFC didn't care about that event and it's their job to promote. woodley's job is to fight. why should he do UFC's job for them????

He should watch what he says. This isn't good for business.

no PPV points so why bother to promote? even the UFC didn't care about that event and it's their job to promote. woodley's job is to fight. why should he do UFC's job for them????

For the same reason Conor went out of his way to promote himself long before he was giving a single PPV point.

Man, can you guys stop taking every little blurb and tweet so literal? He didn't say he didn't want to promote, nor did he say he didn't promote. He just said there wasn't much of a point to go above and beyond at that stage.
He is 1000% right on this. The card was sandwiched between two monster cards. It got hardly any push from the UFC. The fight that led into his championship match was a WMMA fight between Rose and Karolina for fucks sake. There was nothing he could have done as a challenger in this situation. His time was better served focusing on the fight.

He is partially right.

Contenders get paid peanuts....They should get some form of PPV percentage. It will motivate Contenders to actually get rewarded for hyping up a fight.

Having said that, he should still hype up a fight...Conor did it and eventually he got a big fanbase and when he renegotiated his contract, he pointed out the fact of how big he had gotten thus he got paid better.

Good point, right now, Woodley's only bargaining chip is the belt, once that's gone...

because how you end with ppv point even if you don't have a belt. Chael, Bisping, Ronda, Conor are all example of people getting paid very well in the UFC they're also all promoted their fights well before they made the big $$

Yeah but all the fighters you listed are white, so they were able to talk their way to points, also Chael and Dana are buddies. Michael and Conor get the overseas promo, and Ronda has lady parts the Fertittas and Dana were fiending for.

I doubt Dana and co. really commiserate or associate with a black man from Ferguson, but I could be wrong. And I doubt the community there is their target demographic. Really hard for Tyron or Bones or DC or whoever to overcome that without having belt leverage on them.

Yeah but all the fighters you listed are white, so they were able to talk their way to points, also Chael and Dana are buddies. Michael and Conor get the overseas promo, and Ronda has lady parts the Fertittas and Dana were fiending for.

I doubt Dana and co. really commiserate or associate with a black man from Ferguson, but I could be wrong. And I doubt the community there is their target demographic. Really hard for Tyron or Bones or DC or whoever to overcome that without having belt leverage on them.

giphy.gif

You know what helps hype a title fight? Not being out of competition for 18 months.

Tyron wants someone else to do the commercial work for him.

you literally just replied with a bunch of speculation lol, All the people I listed built their fan bases up on their own by promoting themselves then the UFC started to really promote them. None of the guys you listed promoted themselves before the UFC started to give them a push.

Last edited:
I don't think he has shut up since the Robbie fight was announced, so whether he did or didn't have any incentive to promote it, he still did.

That's why he doesn't deserve mega money. He puts in half ass effort and doesn't make the company money.

Obviously he has a better idea as to how this shit works than any of us. I'll side with the guy that actually fights on this one.

Why would you assume that a professional fighter makes good decisions?

Back