WMMA Discussion #29

Strawweight is dead man.

Flyweight depleted it of young talent, and what's left is a bunch of women in the second half of their 30s fighting each other for a shot at a champion that doesn't fight, and a bunch of women in their late 30s and early 40s with little name value left to put over the younger women they fight. The rest of the division consists of average and below average women fighting each other in non factor fights that lead to nothing, because the old guard can't seem to lose to them.

Dern is already 31 and at this point, has fought pretty much everyone in the Top 10 but she never made it to title contention. Suarez is still in her early 30s but has a very well documented history of being unreliable. Jessica Andrade is a former champion, and has the most fights out of any woman in the UFC... She's still younger than most of the other veterans, yet she can't get her shit together because her personal life has been a mess for years now.

There's not a single strawweight in her 20s making any type of significant impact in the division. Tabatha Ricci, Loopy, they can't get it together either, so the division will continue to move at a snail's pace for the foreseeable future. Angela Hill at 40 beating Loopy and arguably beating Ricci in 2024 ladies and gentlemen. No disrespect to Angela, but on paper that shouldn't be happening anymore.

Again, not to take away from their high level opponents. Wondering whether Team Lobo was spread too thin with Aldana, Grasso and Lopes all having big fights last night. Sincerely I think Dumont and Shevchenko were so dominant that it might not have mattered much. Interestingly Dumont mentioned pre-fight that her team's game planning was sound and that she was confident in her abilities to adjust during a fight. Which she clearly displayed. Lopes was asked about Grasso's fight and he said basically that it sucked and that Alexa came out flat. He didn't offer up much more than that.
I don't know about aldana she was in a bad matchup, granted I thought it would be more like the GDR fight on her struggling on her back or the cage.
But I said in the pbp lopes not being able to return to corner after just fighting could be huge. And I pretty sure he's the one giving Alexa the grappling advice mid fight and given it was basically a grappling fight it's hard to say he couldn't have helped. I also got the sense val and her team picked where she was strongest in the other fights and just went all in, vs vals more traditional approach of needing to show she's best at everything and overcoming the opponent's strength head on.

@aerius interesting val training with Henry, that is three former champions he aided to regain their belt now Zhang, figgy and val.

Happy that Suarez is healthy and can compete.
Legit matchup
Sad that this implies Zhang is gonna sit on her fist gor months more (and inevitable recovery time for Suarez)
Not gonna watch cause it has Jandiroba in it
When I heard about this fight it was the worst news of the year. I was ok with Zhang fighting either now she's got no one. For another half year and god forbid swarez wins with an injury.

Back