WMMA Discussion #29

what an absolutely bumper crop of women's fights this weekend - heaps of ufc/invicta alum across the board, we get to see val's goddaughter anelya toktogonova, heck even gabi garcia has a "fight"! feeling blessed :D

ufc picks this week:
- i really like vanessa but i feel like she's still building her game, while emily is a more established striker. ducote UD
- ariane carnelossi is back, yay! she didn't fight in 2023 and i wondered if she'd been cut. ariane has fought and beaten better competition than piera so i'll go with ariane. both fighters are aggressive so am expecting a fun fight (pls). carnelossi UD or club n' sub
- tamires is promising for wbw but i don't think she'll trouble melissa. gatto UD
- who gets wheel kicked by amanda ribas and thinks they can beat angela hill? get outta here! angie UD
Oh yeah! All four UFC fights are competitive this week. I picked Ducote, Rodriguez, Gatto and Hill. Enjoy the fights. If you're around, see you in the PbP discussion thread.

This account is compiling a list of confirmed fighters for DWCS this year

This thread is a good resource

Road to UFC weigh in results:
Strawweight: Feng Xiaocan (116 lbs) vs. Kiran Singh (110 lbs)

Strawweight: Miki Motono (115 lbs) vs. Huang Feier (116.7 lbs)- As a results of Huang Feier missing weight, her fight with Miki Motono has been cancelled. Miki Motono advances to the Road to UFC semi-finals.

Strawweight: Shi Ming (115.5 lbs) vs. Seo Ye Dam (115.5 lbs)

Strawweight: Dong Huaxiang (115.5 lbs) vs. Priya Sharma (116 lbs)

Sucks about Feier, but at least I don’t have to watch either her or Motono lose to the other.

Bellator was never on the level of UFC, and always used low level local fighters to fill out their undercards and sell tickets. UFC does not follow that model.
ufc still do that for australia - think shannon ross and shane young...

Sucks about Feier, but at least I don’t have to watch either her or Motono lose to the other.

When I saw Feier's promo vid I thought she looked way more muscular than before, maybe she overdid the Weight Gain 4000 in anticipation of entering the UFC (or maybe it was just the angles bro). Agreed it sucks though (she's cute) (which is of course the most important skill I look for in a new fighter)

Whatever happened to Invicta? I haven't heard about any events from them in a long time. They used to pop up on Axs TV every couple of months.

entertaining night of women's fights: 1 SD, 1 DQ, 1 TKO and 1 SUB? full house baby!!!
- vanessa totally deserved that win, i'm very impressed by her determination. ducote's counters were better than i thought.
- piera broke ariane with that knee and front kick in rd2, what a silly mistake to make
- titty KO???? wtf bahahaha
- angie got her sub and the win bonus!!! did anyone else catch the factoid that this bonus is the first in a win? angie's previous 4 bonuses have come in a loss: FOTN v. andrade, FOTN v. karate hottie (robbery), FOTN v. lemos (even bigger robbery) & FOTN v. dern. go angie!!!

I scored it for Ducote, but Demopoulos’ style is a proven fight winner, & translates better to live viewing versus TV. Was not too mad about the win & thought it could’ve gone either way.

Vidal is very much still the woman that got shit kicked by Ailin Perez. Losing by titty KO is an amazing way to end a UFC Run. I suspect however they’ll save her for a Cowan fight as it’s Hailey’s best shot at a UFC win rn. Gatto should stay at 135, she’s not quite technically sound enough for 125, but certainly is good enough to be ranked at 135.

Carnelossi was probably unable to continue, more to do with that kick though. Rodriguez made a terrible decision so you cannot be surprised. I feel like refs are being pushed more than ever to penalize bad fouls, so the DQ was easily seen coming.

I missed Pinheiro/Hill but I did catch Ladd/Shakalova & Road to UFC. Ladd looked better than usual, probably because Shakalova is small for 145 at 5’2”. Shakalova was faster but gassed trying to wrestle Ladd & got kicked a lot to the body. Shakalova did hit a sweet fireman’s carry though. She needs to move down to 125 or 135 though if she hopes to see any real success.

Cong Wang is going to need to be fast tracked at 33, but she is an absolute pleasure to watch. Really looking forward to see where she goes. I’d say Andrea Lee would be great opponent for her UFC debut.

A guillotine choke, a TKO, a DQ and a split decision.

UFC Fight Night: Barboza vs. Murphy
Angela Hill vs. Luana Pinheiro. Hill gets a round two submission and earns a $50 K performance bonus. She has improved her ground skills and that's maybe her best performance. She should be re-signed and move up in the rankings. First time in a while the announcer says 'the guillotine is in tight' and it proves true. Pinheiro was strongly outmatched. Back to the drawing board. I'd love to see Hill made a run at a title. Angela 2.0: The Finishing Machine!

Tamires Vidal vs. Melissa Gatto. TKO win for Gatto. Vidal was looking for a time out after the kick / punch to the ribs / breast. None deserved, none given.

Piera Rodriguez vs. Ariane Carnelossi. Weird DQ ending. Rodriguez dominated Carnelossi. In the midst of a possible ground and pound finish Piera blatantly head butts her twice and gets disqualified. So Carnelossi gets a W via DQ, after a poor performance. Piera going 'whut whut?' but has no one but herself to blame.

Emily Ducote vs. Vanessa Demopoulos. Judges scored the split decision for Demopoulos. I'm not a fan and wouldn't want her jumping into my arms afterward. I scored it for Ducote who I felt threw the more significant strikes, applied more pressure and did more damage to her opponent.

Gotta catch up on Aspen Ladd, Clark, Road etc.

Scored it for Ducote as well. Disappointed in the DQ as well as the TKO. I am told by more than one woman that - particularly when you are lean - getting the mammary gland mashed against your ribcage hurts like hell, even more for 5-7 days a month or so. Really happy for Angela, this has been a long time coming and is the result of a continual desire to keep trying to improve.

Last edited:
Back