"Winner" taps...

i can see both points of view. it seems that the guy who was getting destroyed understood why his opponent tapped, and seemed ok with it. if the seemed fine with it, then i guess it was the right decision.

some pussy shit to me

Your reading assignment for summer break.

ArtofWar_zps57a7318f.jpg

I've never fought competitively, but I think it's disrespectful to your opponent.

Yeah. I understand the guy's motivations but I would never do that.

I think if a fighter has the courage to step into the cage with you, the most disrespectful thing you could do is to pity him and just forfeit and give him the win.

If he wanted to show true sportsmanship and respect, he would've continued until he finished the fight, whether by KO/TKO or decision.

it's odd that we live in a society where one who shows mercy and kindness is seen as remarkable.

Hm.

it's odd that we live in a society where one who shows mercy and kindness is seen as remarkable.

Hm.

It's an interesting dichotomy between fighting and everything else. Fighting is an inherently cruel thing, where the goal is to defeat your opponent, usually harming him in the process. It's an arena where mercy and compassion are not desired traits. Personally, as I've been getting further down my track towards medicine, I've been starting to have some problems watching. As a human being, I think it's commendable what he did, but as a fight fan, I don't see it that way.

It was an admirable act and he should be given props.
As he said, they're not making money and the fight really doesn't count. Props to the guy who got his ass beat for taking it and hanging in there, props to the guy who beat his ass for showing some human decency
This
Wonder why dude didn't go for a td and sub.

He might not be very confident in his ground game. He was throwing some crazy shit so I figure he comes from a striking background.

Bowing to the guy and raising his hand was unnecessary. The guy who tapped wanted the fight to stop because the guy he was fighting didn't belong in there, no reason to pretend that his opponent did well. I doubt it made anybody feel better. It's good that he didn't want to hurt the guy, but there was a bit too much forced humility. It's possible that one of the reasons he did it was to feel good about himself. Like many people mentioned in the other thread, he could've turned it into a sparring match which would be a lot less embarrassing for the opponent.

good thing there were no betting odds (i hope) because that would be a whole lot of tomfuckery. personally, i don't see it as honorable and both guys should never fight again at least not at a pro level.

if only the sport allowed a way to apply a hold to someone to finish them without hurting them...

I think what he did was honorable and compassionate, and I admire it. His opponent was beaten, and he knew it, so he showed mercy. Empathy is a characteristic that is seriously losing out to selfishness these days; perhaps it always has been, and always will be. But it's nice to see someone doing their part to try and tip the scale in the other direction.

I've never fought competitively, but I think it's disrespectful to your opponent.

It isn't. If you're getting beaten badly and you refuse to quit, it's not a sign of disrespect if the guy decides he doesn't want to batter you to brain damage. It's called compassion.

And yes, compassion for your opponent can be felt in the midst of combat, despite you being there to engage in a fight and win it.

Good for him. It is a frikkin amateur fight. Hey, lets get 2 guys to fight for free while we make money off of it. Oh, and if you get your ass beat good for you. Don't forget to go to the doctor afterwards because we don't care if you are ok.

Some have a valid point that maybe he could have subbed him but maybe his BJJ sucks. Most amateurs I have seen don't have great bjj.

It's amateur fight.
Fighters have rights to give up when they want to do.

If this were a pro fight I'd say that's a bit ridiculous. But an amateur fight? Good for him. Classy dude.

I don't think he was being self righteous or trying to be famous, I just think he realized that he was way better than the other fighter and didn't want to inflict unnecessary punishment. Plus its an amateur MMA bout

No problem with it. He made a judgement call about his opponent, and by the looks of it, the right one.

Amateur bout are about gaining experience and well, he wasn't going to gain much beating the fuck out of him.

Agreed

Lopsided matchup and no one gains anything from the lesser fighter getting brutalized.

I had a modest, and I mean modest ammy run...
I'd rather go out on my shield, that's just me.
I'd respect my opponents(decision,)but would be pissed.

It's an interesting dichotomy between fighting and everything else. Fighting is an inherently cruel thing, where the goal is to defeat your opponent, usually harming him in the process. It's an arena where mercy and compassion are not desired traits. Personally, as I've been getting further down my track towards medicine, I've been starting to have some problems watching. As a human being, I think it's commendable what he did, but as a fight fan, I don't see it that way.

Yes. I'm not sure where the line is for myself, either. I disliked the Glover/Maldanado fight but loved the GSP/Penn fight, or the Hendo/Shogun fight.

Is the line competitiveness? Is the line between art and barbarism a fighting chance?

Hard for me to say.

absolutely retarded and cringe worthy. it reminds me of barry hugging cro cop. we get it, you're a peaceful warrior and only do it for the art. you deserve so much respect.

Back