Wing Chun in MMA

Chi Sao might help a bit a wee bit in building some kind of kineasthetic sensitivity...but it would be many many times more effective for BJJ students to just roll....and you wouldn't be committing wasteful and potentially self destructuve moves to muscle memory

Half of what you get from rolling is "Chi Sao" just a little different flavor. Both Rolling and proper Chi Sao training build up kineasthetic sensitivity. One is more for standing and the other is all about the ground game.

Wing Chun could work, pak sao is like a parry however I would like to see more lap sao etc. THe thing is as they say there are no tan sao or bong sao so it's not wing chun WC is a theory and using the center line principles etc it can work in MMA. I have used WC with a twist of boxing and BJJ to spar a few MMA fighters one pro and held up my own though I could have been beaten as well who knows and I don't think I want to fight MMA and only do BJJ competitions in my older age though I still like to spar........

Last edited:
The problem with everyone saying yes it would work... as long as ect ect is that after all that its not really Wing Chung anymore. Boxing for MMA, Muay Thai for MMA, and Karate for MMA, even when they are adapted, are still Boxing, Muay Thai, and Karate. The techniques are the same. Machida is still using Karate, it's obvious. If a wing chung fighter addapts his style for MMA, he looks like a Kickboxer. Wasn't San Shoa made to help compete with more traditional kickboxers? And it pretty much looks exactly like kickboxing.

wing chun is too deadly. its not made for the "sport" of FIGHTING..... its made for REAL LIFE situations:redface:

That's what I've always been told. And that wearing gloves would totally throw it off.

So which one of you Chunners is going to make the leap?

The problem with everyone saying yes it would work... as long as ect ect is that after all that its not really Wing Chung anymore. Boxing for MMA, Muay Thai for MMA, and Karate for MMA, even when they are adapted, are still Boxing, Muay Thai, and Karate. The techniques are the same. Machida is still using Karate, it's obvious. If a wing chung fighter addapts his style for MMA, he looks like a Kickboxer. Wasn't San Shoa made to help compete with more traditional kickboxers? And it pretty much looks exactly like kickboxing.

Everything resembles kickboxing ito a degree in a live situation because thats how the human body naturally moes and functions . Its not that it has to be adapted its that common sense has to be realized.

I Doubt who ever created the art intended people to stay stuck to the floor i that silly stance wildly chain punching at each other.:icon_chee

On the subject ive heard theories that the art was supposed to have been a complimentary style. In other words you learned another art preferably one that was more long range before you got into teh chun.

If that theory is correct then its perfectly fine to mix it with boxing and MT or whatever else.

Everything resembles kickboxing ito a degree in a live situation because thats how the human body naturally moes and functions . Its not that it has to be adapted its that common sense has to be realized.

I Doubt who ever created the art intended people to stay stuck to the floor i that silly stance wildly chain punching at each other.:icon_chee

Agree.

On the subject, from an old post of mine (mind you, im not an expert or profesional trainer,etc... just a martial arts lover throwing hypothesis - analyze them with due escepticism):

Well, you say lateral movement is fundamental in mma - which i agree with, but its precisely this extreme obsesion of Wing Chun with the center line that impedes lateral - and general - movement.

When you start to move and make powerful changes of direction your hands must change accordingly, at these high speeds your body contains a lot of different inertial vectors. When entering in range you take what your body is giving you at that precise instant and use - in part -those vectors to throw your hands (hooks, uppercats, crossed,etc). WC forces you to not only to attack the center line (which is indeed the most basic principle of chinese boxing) but to do so along -and only along - the line between centers - i.e. wingchun straight punch.

This is, in my modest, ignorant opinion, the main reason WingChun wont work in MMA sport (where theres a lot of time & space to move). Trying to attack along that line only would disrupt your body aligment when making diagonal changes at high speeds. (Try to make powerful diagonal steps while mainting the WC guard and yoou

11 pages and nobody has posted any obasi videos?

take what u will from these vids

There's nothing wrong with the stances and footwork of WC; there's speed, mobility, and can generate fantastic power. Those who are foreign to WC often think of it as what I like to call "Siu Nim Tao fighting". I'm not surprised; many WC guys are literally "Siu Nim Tao fighters" that take the center-line and forward intent principles literally. There are tons of forms and movements in Chum Kiu, Biu Tze, Wooden Dummy, Butterfly Knives, and Long Pole that aren't found in Siu Nim Tao. Even the forms/movements that are done with weapons can be done with empty hands. WC is very versatile, but Siu Nim Tao fighters make it seem otherwise.

Hernan "He-Man" Mendez;45687053 said:
11 pages and nobody has posted any obasi videos?

take what u will from these vids

Wow lol. Those two fights were horrendous

wing chun is too dangerous and should be outlawed from mma.

HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN IP MANS GNP?!!?! please dont bring this deadly art to mma :redface::redface:

Don't really want to see it in MMA tbh.
My understanding is that it belongs in the 'self defence' genre with Krav Maga and co.

Wow lol. Those two fights were horrendous

As someone who has done Wing Chun in the past and seen it done in competition, that was some horrible Wing Chun. Actually correction, that wasn't Wing chun at all. Even his friggin stance was horrible. That dude probably gets by on size and strength. Would be destroyed by any good fighter. And the whole thing about him not being able to kick b/c he does Wing Chun. B.S.! True Wing Chun discourages high Kicks b/c in a self defense environment they are harder to use and leave you more open as well as requiring a further range of distance than trapping range, but they still teach you how to Kick! Besides even if they didn't, you are trying out for a sport....train the techniques of the damn sport! If you notice he does jiu-jitsu or attempts to in one fight. That for damn sure ain't Wing chun but he learned it anyway. Sad representative for the style.

Would love to see a REAL wing chun practitioner do MMA. This would only improve wing chun and help it evolve. Any ish about it being too dangerous for competition etc is bull. Yip Man's students competed all the time in Hong Kong in rooftop matches etc. None of them died in street competitions so I'm pretty sure modern day practioners would not be killing their opponents in the ring!

As someone who has done Wing Chun in the past and seen it done in competition, that was some horrible Wing Chun. Actually correction, that wasn't Wing chun at all. Even his friggin stance was horrible. That dude probably gets by on size and strength. Would be destroyed by any good fighter. And the whole thing about him not being able to kick b/c he does Wing Chun. B.S.! True Wing Chun discourages high Kicks b/c in a self defense environment they are harder to use and leave you more open as well as requiring a further range of distance than trapping range, but they still teach you how to Kick! Besides even if they didn't, you are trying out for a sport....train the techniques of the damn sport! If you notice he does jiu-jitsu or attempts to in one fight. That for damn sure ain't Wing chun but he learned it anyway. Sad representative for the style.

Would love to see a REAL wing chun practitioner do MMA. This would only improve wing chun and help it evolve. Any ish about it being too dangerous for competition etc is bull. Yip Man's students competed all the time in Hong Kong in rooftop matches etc. None of them died in street competitions so I'm pretty sure modern day practioners would not be killing their opponents in the ring!

well thats the only evidence of wing chun being used in a ACTUAL FIGHT. grasp on to that video.... its all wing chun has.

please prove me wrong... i been dying to see wing chun be used in something besides kung fu flicks.

Vid makes a pretty decent case for the straight lead punch, I'd say.

Keeping your hands up, too.

well thats the only evidence of wing chun being used in a ACTUAL FIGHT. grasp on to that video.... its all wing chun has.

please prove me wrong... i been dying to see wing chun be used in something besides kung fu flicks.

You are right, and it is sad. The only thing I could show you is Wing chun in competition against other Kung-fu styles. Full contact wearing gloves and head gear. I watched it hoping it was a decent video but to be honest the opponent sucked and since it was against another kungfu style that hasn't proven itself in modern times, the win didn't mean much. Wish they'd man up and do MMA the same way the older generations tested themselves years ago. Oh well. I'd go cry about this dude being the WC torch bearer...but I'll be too busy at my Muay Thai class next week to worry about it. Somehow I feel more confident learning from a guy that can show me proof of his effectiveness. I may love Wing Chun, but I too must evolve.

YouTube - Ving Tsun and M.M.A. (freefight technics)

This fellow is good wing chun/Vin Tsung and he appears to compete in MMA at some level. I will leave the WC or VT fight to people that actually care about the difference.

I have no doubt that guy is good in wing chun but nothing in that video makes me think he would be very good in MMA. The guy he is showing stuff on is almost always squared up completely making him way off balance, his hands are usually in bad position.

I would be interested to see this guy spar hard against a live opponent though to see his real effectiveness

The only thing i've seen where mma guys fight wing chun guys was on the show fight quest. Probably not the best representation.

The two hosts tried very hard to stay within the wing chun sparring rules and they held their own with only 5 days of training. THe times they accidently strayed from wing chun and went back to their normal fighting styles they were able to land good clean shots relatively easily on their opponents

Their opponents would be doing chain punches and they would land a good stiff jab or right straight that would immediately back their opponents off and you could tell that the wing chun guys they were fighting really didnt like the hard contact

Back