Wing Chun in MMA

seanpaul81 said:
First off lets all get one thing straight Wing Chun is kill you shit,when take as a form of self defense. Its all about balance. I good fighter should be able to through aspects in of it at somtime in a fight.

any martial art has kill you shit.

seanpaul81 said:
My uncle has trained here in the states and in china. He has worked with my chi sau alot and my trapping. When I made the switch to mma it was one of diffulcuty. I had wrestled and had some bjj, but not enough. Know I do apply to all my fights street or in the ring. What ever you can learn will help its all about the centerline and chi.

lol

i dont see chi playing a factor in the octagon

Halls said:
You don't think Chi Sao and other sensitivity training has any bearing to BJJ? I think all BJJ students could get a lot better through sensitivity training.

Chi Sao might help a bit a wee bit in building some kind of kineasthetic sensitivity...but it would be many many times more effective for BJJ students to just roll....and you wouldn't be committing wasteful and potentially self destructuve moves to muscle memory

chlorox said:
Chi Sao might help a bit a wee bit in building some kind of kineasthetic sensitivity...but it would be many many times more effective for BJJ students to just roll....and you wouldn't be committing wasteful and potentially self destructuve moves to muscle memory

Not just Chi Sao but other sensitivity drills are very useful to the grappler. After you understand what sensitivity is you realize that it has nothing to do with muscle memory but gaining the "feel" for where your opponent is moving and reacting to their energy and movement.
I have used sensitivity in the ring and it has proven effective for me in my experiences.

Hand-Of-Fate said:
You can start in MMA with almost any style, but as you progress, you find out that some things generally work better than others. After a few years of keeping what works and rejecting what doesn't(which every fighter should do) you start to realize that you are no longer doing the same art you started out with.

You are now doing a form of "MMA."

This kind of sucks, imo. I LOVED the early UFC, where styles clashed. Now we have a general "BLAH" style.

Wonderful definintion of Jeet Kune Do. It's a shame that more people don't share the same viewpoint. In my experiences the majority rave about the greatness of Muay Thai and BJJ and dismiss other styles as garbage.

Lets stop trying to be nice about it and saying, "well it might work maybe if you do -(blablabla)-"

You dont see Wing Chun because it lacks the effectiveness and simple brutality of boxing and muay thai.

Interesting concept, but instead of going with the theoretical 'effectiveness' of wing chun, I'll take the proven route of boxing and kickboxing schools.

Plus I hate the bullshit concept of chi and immediately discredit any school that tries to push it on me. Maybe I shouldnt because the techniques may have something behind them besides chi rubbish, but the concept is too stupid.

From what I saw on page 1 of this topic, WC looks to me, from a point of view where I know little about the Art, rather inefficient; especially when compared to Boxing or Muay Thai, or the other 'do' arts. The practicioner on the link posted on page one of this topic instead of a small sidestep and punch to the ribs, extends way out and has to come way back in. And that was his counter to a jab, which is quite easy for the jab-ber to recover to stance from.

Not too sure what I think about that particular strategy, not that I am an expert or anything. I believe in sparring and learning by doing. Since I have no sparring experience with a WC practicioner, so I am at a loss for words until I can spar a little bit with one. I would welcome the experience with open arms though.

From this post/link:

"Is it like this: http://wongkk.com/combat/boxing.html"

BuZ said:
It was the first MMA fight for both of them. Royce won the first UFC submitting untrained truck drivers, did you complain then as well?

1. It's Weng Chun, which is slightly different than Wing Chun
2. The Dude knows more about Weng Chun than you ever will. He pointed out the elements of WC that were used in that fight. He also mentioned that BJJ was used to finish the fight. Everything in that fight aside from the armbar can be found in WC. What exactly is your problem with the description?

You're a professional fighter, aren't you supposed to have respect for other MAs?

weng chun ehh?? different? Then WHAT THE FUCK IS IT DOING IN A wIng Chun thread?

what about wang chun? wung chun? wong chun? and sometimes wyng chun???!

stay on topic please. we are talking about wIng Chun. One fucking spelling.

Anything else is like spelling cindy with an "I" to be . . . "different".

Wing Chun would work.... but i never seen mma fighters with wing chun backgrounds...... hopefully wing chun style fighters can come to mma, most mma guys gets hit because of their lack of speed and reaction and not knowing how to counter and block.... wing chun has those elements...

actually brett rogers claims to have a wc background

"The majority of fans are familiar with Rogers

Lets stop trying to be nice about it and saying, "well it might work maybe if you do -(blablabla)-"

You dont see Wing Chun because it lacks the effectiveness and simple brutality of boxing and muay thai.

Interesting concept, but instead of going with the theoretical 'effectiveness' of wing chun, I'll take the proven route of boxing and kickboxing schools.

Plus I hate the bullshit concept of chi and immediately discredit any school that tries to push it on me. Maybe I shouldnt because the techniques may have something behind them besides chi rubbish, but the concept is too stupid.

actually may be the only reason you have opinions liek about chi is because the peopel who explaiend it to you are crack pots

there doesnt need to be any mystical mumbo jumbo to explain its exsistence

wing chun is too deadly. its not made for the "sport" of FIGHTING..... its made for REAL LIFE situations:redface:

I trained in both Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do, before training in Boxing/Kick-Boxing/Wrestling/MMA.

Wing Chun can work, but you have to blend it.

1. You must modify the Wing Chun stance.

The problem with the traditional Wing Chun stance is the rigid lower back and tendency towards the chin being up.

The center line concept will still work. You put the chin down and still turn the body a bit sideways. The arm position is the same. But, the hands are not held rigidly open or straight, but relaxed or almost in a fist, like Boxers do.

Instead of the feet being parallel, you have to move one foot slightly back. If you are in the orthodox side with the left hand first, then after doing the traditional Wing Chun fighting stance, you move the right foot back. If right hand first, then the left foot moves slightly back. You are in a kind of slant/diagonal stance. The feet are not parallel, and it is NOT like the Jeet Kune Do on-guard stance, Karate, or traditional stance.

The stance still reminds you of the Wing Chun stance, but works effectively in Boxing or Kick-Boxing. This type of stance, actually already existed in Boxing. Basically the new stance is like a merging of the traditional Boxing stance and the Wing Chun stance.

This stance can also be effective against Wrestlers and in MMA. This is because the lead foot is not directly in front but slightly angled away. It makes it harder for Wrestlers to shoot on the lead leg.

2. Wing Chun fighters should learn to open and loosen their foot work, like Boxers and Kick-Boxers. Including circular footwork.

Traditional Wing Chun fighters, can have a tendency towards stiff and limited footwork. In MMA, that's not good. You become a stationary target for Wrestlers to shoot on you.

Good examples of good and circular footwork in MMA are Ex. LHW Champ Machida and LW Champ Frankie Edgar.

3. You must learn Wrestling. In this way, you also learn to COUNTER-Wrestling. Think of prime Chuck Liddell. Hard to get down and hard to keep down.

MMA fighters will obviously shoot on the legs of any standup only Striker. By learning Wrestling, you learn to be better at moving the front leg away, side-stepping leg shoot attempts, sprawling, and getting up from the ground if somebody takes you down.

Personally, I recommend Catch-Wrestling or modified MMA/Submission-Wrestling.

This allows you to get Submission techniques, with Wrestling. Submissions are a bit different in Catch-Wrestling, than in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but there is a LOT of cross over and borrowing of techniques and that is good. Also Catch-Wrestlers learn to keep more dominant positions on the ground, which is better for MMA and street fighting.

wing chun is too deadly. its not made for the "sport" of FIGHTING..... its made for REAL LIFE situations:redface:

I know you're trolling, but I want to slap you anyway for saying that.

Strong points of Wing Chun:

1. Wing Chun fighters can often develop into good defensive fighters, counter-strikers, and "scientific"/technical Kick-Boxers.

However, it requires the Wing Chun fighter to have a Jeet Kune Do type mindset, where they give up on traditionalism. They use what's useful, and throw out what's not working.

2. Wing Chun fighters can develop into devastating close range strikers, where punches and kicks hit at unexpectedly close range.

Wing Chun teaches how to strike without needing space, no "John Wayne" wind up punches, etc... Very efficient and direct striking.

However, in a MMA environment, it requires the Wing Chun fighter to give up the traditional stance. The stance and body posture must be modified so that its merged and is a quasi Boxing stance.

A bad habit of some Wing Chun fighters is punching for speed or the gimmicky "chain punching". In MMA, POWER COUNTS. Rapid punching is fine, but you need to put your body weight into it. When Wing Chun fighters modify their stance and use a semi-Boxing stance, many will find they can put more weight into their punches, but still also do it from close range.

3. Wing Chun fighters have a devastating blind side rush attack, that can be very effective.

Many Wing Chun fighters are taught to close the distance rapidly and get an angle behind the elbow of the opponent's lead hand. In this way you can strike with 2 hands, but he has only 1 hand to defend himself and its hard to get out of the way.

This can be an effective technique whether in Boxing, Kick-Boxing, or MMA.

4. Wing Chun fighters have very effective ways of checking and stopping kicks.

A not widely known secret is that Wing Chun stop kicks are even more advanced than Muay Thai leg checking. Combining the techniques make for some great kick defense.

Even more, Wing Chun has some nice unorthodox leg attacks and trips.

Just like Machida Karate, the trick is to adapt Wing Chun to MMA and blend its techniques with Kick-Boxing and Submission/Catch-Wrestling.

Why isn't Wing Chun Kung Fu utilized in MMA? I trained under the lineage of Duncan Leung who was taught by Yip Man and we trained in some very effective counterstrike techniques. I don't know if most of it could be translated into MMA but Pak Sao and Lap Sao counterstrikes I believe could be very effective against a boxer. Thoughts?

a lot of wing chun is for show. i mean sitting there slapping eachothers hands around? a lot of wing chun demonstrations have "attackers" throwing huge looping punches that an mma fighter wouldnt throw. wing chun wouldnt work in mma, it is not functional

Strong points of Wing Chun:

1. Wing Chun fighters can often develop into good defensive fighters, counter-strikers, and "scientific"/technical Kick-Boxers.

However, it requires the Wing Chun fighter to have a Jeet Kune Do type mindset, where they give up on traditionalism. They use what's useful, and throw out what's not working.

2. Wing Chun fighters can develop into devastating close range strikers, where punches and kicks hit at unexpectedly close range.

Wing Chun teaches how to strike without needing space, no "John Wayne" wind up punches, etc... Very efficient and direct striking.

However, in a MMA environment, it requires the Wing Chun fighter to give up the traditional stance. The stance and body posture must be modified so that its merged and is a quasi Boxing stance.

A bad habit of some Wing Chun fighters is punching for speed or the gimmicky "chain punching". In MMA, POWER COUNTS. Rapid punching is fine, but you need to put your body weight into it. When Wing Chun fighters modify their stance and use a semi-Boxing stance, many will find they can put more weight into their punches, but still also do it from close range.

3. Wing Chun fighters have a devastating blind side rush attack, that can be very effective.

Many Wing Chun fighters are taught to close the distance rapidly and get an angle behind the elbow of the opponent's lead hand. In this way you can strike with 2 hands, but he has only 1 hand to defend himself and its hard to get out of the way.

This can be an effective technique whether in Boxing, Kick-Boxing, or MMA.

4. Wing Chun fighters have very effective ways of checking and stopping kicks.

A not widely known secret is that Wing Chun stop kicks are even more advanced than Muay Thai leg checking. Combining the techniques make for some great kick defense.

Even more, Wing Chun has some nice unorthodox leg attacks and trips.

Just like Machida Karate, the trick is to adapt Wing Chun to MMA and blend its techniques with Kick-Boxing and Submission/Catch-Wrestling.

bingo

Back