Will your dog protect you or your home? The intruder challenge!

Zeke's Chaingun

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Anyone here have a guarding breed dog, or think that your dog will protect your home?

I saw on Jason Corey's YouTube Channel that he had tested his Cane Corso's response to a prowler.

I then put my dogs to a similar challenge and filmed it.

Anyone here with a guarding breed or even a non guarding breed that you think will protect willing to record yourself testing the response of your dog to an intruder?

I adopted a very alert but scaredy cat ex racing greyhound so no.

But if cats come near the house, he is the most on edge, alert dog I've ever seen and it's fucking ragnarok for them.

No, and I honestly wouldn't want them to. Having your dogs act like that towards 'intruders' is a good way to have them attack guests or putting the dogs in danger in the case of an actual intruder. I'll leave the job of protecting the house to myself.

Our German Shepherd, doubtful she'd protect the house. She's 9 months, adorable but doesn't bark or anything.

Our Greek rescue mutt however does at least bark and snap at noise or the similar so he might do something..

The dog didn't protect the female, he simply barked. Every dog i've ever had would bark like that if someone was at the door or in the yard. There are videos of people actually breaking into homes that had dogs in them, and from what i've seen most of the dogs either ran away or greeted the intruders.

Also anyone who mutilates a dog's ears, like the ears of that dog in the video, should be heavily fined and banned from having dogs. It should be outlawed in all countries, like it is in mine.
Makes the dogs look ridiculous anyway.

Prolly not.
Reckon that’s not in his skill set. ;)

That said, he’s pretty chill & makes for good company.
giphy.gif

not that there is anything wrong wiht it but i can't help thinking this guy fantasizes hard about his dog savaging an intruder

No, and I honestly wouldn't want them to. Having your dogs act like that towards 'intruders' is a good way to have them attack guests or putting the dogs in danger in the case of an actual intruder. I'll leave the job of protecting the house to myself.

His dogs have never attacked guests. He takes them out in public and meets strange people too. I do this also.

This is a misplaced fear. A dog can differentiate between an intruder and a guest.

Our German Shepherd, doubtful she'd protect the house. She's 9 months, adorable but doesn't bark or anything.

Our Greek rescue mutt however does at least bark and snap at noise or the similar so he might do something..
Don't underestimate your GSD. They're typically - at the very least - great noise makers.

The dog didn't protect the female, he simply barked. Every dog i've ever had would bark like that if someone was at the door or in the yard. There are videos of people actually breaking into homes that had dogs in them, and from what i've seen most of the dogs either ran away or greeted the intruders.

Most guard dogs only need to do 2 things.

1. Make a lot of noise.

This can alert the homeowner, allowing them time to call the police and arm themselves.

2. Be big and intimidating.

This will cause most intruders to second guess their target. Most intruders want an easy target. Not one that might fight them and at the very least alerted everyone within half a mile that there's someone there.

My dobbie is not a year old, and she is super friendly with anyone I bring over, and everyone on the street. Doesn’t act crazy or aggressive when people knock or come close to the yard. Unless she has some traumatic experience, I doubt she will try and fend off an intruder in the future. I’m fine with that. Most people just assume they are mean based on looks and reputation, and that does the job just as well. It’s what I prefer too.

My dobbie is not a year old, and she is super friendly with anyone I bring over, and everyone on the street. Doesn’t act crazy or aggressive when people knock or come close to the yard. Unless she has some traumatic experience, I doubt she will try and fend off an intruder in the future. I’m fine with that. Most people just assume they are mean based on looks and reputation, and that does the job just as well. It’s what I prefer too.

Dobermans are great dogs.

A goal of mine is to work with dogs who have been giving their owners behavioral issues, but a tremendous help would be having a balanced dog with me to work with those dogs.

I can't do that with my Akitas. They're too dominant and intolerant of other dogs. It's in their DNA. I'd need a dog like a Doberman.

Having said that, yes, the Dobermans look and size alone will likely deter most intruders, and the noise they make would alert you and give you time to call the police and arm yourself. That's typically all you'd ever need.

Still... it would be interesting if you filmed a simulated intruder to see how the Doberman responds.

Dobermans are great dogs.

A goal of mine is to work with dogs who have been giving their owners behavioral issues, but a tremendous help would be having a balanced dog with me to work with those dogs.

I can't do that with my Akitas. They're too dominant and intolerant of other dogs. It's in their DNA. I'd need a dog like a Doberman.

Having said that, yes, the Dobermans look and size alone will likely deter most intruders, and the noise they make would alert you and give you time to call the police and arm yourself. That's typically all you'd ever need.

Still... it would be interesting if you filmed a simulated intruder to see how the Doberman responds.
She doesn’t even bark much. She barks maybe once or twice a week. Just a silent “killer” maybe?? lol. It’s one of the reasons I got one. They are actually nice dogs if you want them to be, and lack that super aggressive behavior found in many other guarding breeds, like you Akitas. Beautiful as they are, I don’t want one for the reasons you stated.

Maybe when she is older I will try this experiment. Not anytime soon. I like her exactly how she is now, and hope she stays this way when she passes her teenage phase when those whacky hormones sometimes changes a dog’s behavior. Would much rather shoot the intruder myself than have her possibly get hurt. Like mentioned, the image of her just being a Doberman is my preferred method of deterring intruders.

I have two, two year old Labrador's, the female is a giant wuss and would absolutely run away... the male, I don't know. When I bring people over he is super friendly but when someone walks by, out the front of the house, he runs up to the fence and barks... and not the nice, friendly kind of bark.

He's about 35kg of solid muscle and seems to be territorial... but at the same time, he's a super friendly two year old Lab so who knows how he'd react if someone tried to come in really?

Back