Will we ever see a ban of elbows in the UFC?

REEMwillbeCHAMP

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
2012 has been the year for injuries..what if in 2013 we started to see an abnormal amount of fights end due to cuts? I was thinking of this last night after seeing Boetsch/Philippou and Miller/Lauzon. I know Boetsch got cut by a headbutt and not an elbow, but the back to back cut of Boetsch and Lauzon was awful. That fight really meant nothing for Phillipou...so what if next year this started happening? Would the fans get annoyed with this? 2012 the year for injuries...2013 the year for fights ending early due to elbows :)

uhm Lauzon and Boetsch cuts were not caused by elbows. So what the fuck are you talking about?

Just because of Jones? Hope not. Don't ban elbows just to ban hellbows.

Lol, they aren't going to ban elbows. When Zuffa bought Strikeforce, Strikeforce didn't have ground elbows. Zuffa made Strikeforce ADD grounded elbows.

uhm Lauzon and Boetsch cuts were not caused by elbows. So what the fuck are you talking about?

"I know Boetsch got cut by a headbutt and not an elbow..."

And what? Am I blind? Didn't Lauzon get standing elbow'd 4-5 times in a row which caused that disgusting cut? :eek:

If elbows are banned Jones will employ new strikes and techniques. He's a prodigy. Fighting is one of the things he does better than most. If people think banning elbows will render Jones helpless they are in for a rude awakening. Then again, those who think that can't be very intelligent anyway.

Have you ever seen The old Stikeforce and Bellator fights that ban elbows to the head? The fight are boring. The guy on bottom gets wrists control and nothing happens the whole fight.

if it favors wrestlers, they aren't banning it.

stop trying to ban moves. MMA fans dont realize how lucky they are to have such a limited rulebook. most of the grappling moves seen in MMA are banned from even top black belts in BJJ tournaments.
for example when lauzon tried that flying scissor to heel hook on miller last night, if that was bjj he would have already dont enough to get DQ'd 2 times

Not any time soon, but with more main stream success they may.

I like the idea of no elbows on the ground

but standing is fine

i dont see elbows geting banned at all Zuffa is what made elbow legal in stikeforce and Melendez took full advantage against kawajiri lol

I still think so, though the issue has died down considerably since The Crow left the UFC. As the sport continues into the mainstream, I think the reactive media will see a high profile fight on Fox where elbows cause a blood bath, and will jump all over it, or we will see Jones putting a fissure in some dudes face again.

If elbows are banned Jones will employ new strikes and techniques. He's a prodigy. Fighting is one of the things he does better than most. If people think banning elbows will render Jones helpless they are in for a rude awakening. Then again, those who think that can't be very intelligent anyway.

Yean, I think if Jones wanted to, he could just take guys down and elbow them into oblivion like he did in his earlier fights, but he wants to make his fights last a bit and have some fun and get better at other things. If he fought Anderson though, he would look like Gallagher on Anderson's head.

The haters should just ban Jon Jones and call it a day. They want jones oblique kicks banned, elbows banned and I am pretty sure they want his wrestling banned.

hes been pulling some nice subs more recently anyway.

Back