Will we ever see a ban of elbows in the UFC?

if it favors wrestlers, they aren't banning it.
They aren't banning them because they favor wrestlers lol. Get outta here with that shit.

They aren't banning them and won't ban them because it is very rare that fights get stopped due to cuts from Elbows

They aren't banning them because they favor wrestlers lol. Get outta here with that shit.

They aren't banning them and won't ban them because it is very rare that fights get stopped due to cuts from Elbows

Exactly what I said, if it doesn't hurt the wrestlers, they aren't banning it.

lol

I am okay with ground elbows to the head being banned.

2012 has been the year for injuries..what if in 2013 we started to see an abnormal amount of fights end due to cuts? I was thinking of this last night after seeing Boetsch/Philippou and Miller/Lauzon. I know Boetsch got cut by a headbutt and not an elbow, but the back to back cut of Boetsch and Lauzon was awful. That fight really meant nothing for Phillipou...so what if next year this started happening? Would the fans get annoyed with this? 2012 the year for injuries...2013 the year for fights ending early due to elbows :)

Technically the promotion can request additional rules and have it put into fight contracts like Bellator does for its tournament fights, I don't see the UFC doing anything like that.

There is always some cry baby that wants more rules, ts elbow are part of martial arts, take them out and you might as well call MMA cage fighting or grapple boxing

stop trying to ban moves. MMA fans dont realize how lucky they are to have such a limited rulebook. most of the grappling moves seen in MMA are banned from even top black belts in BJJ tournaments.
for example when lauzon tried that flying scissor to heel hook on miller last night, if that was bjj he would have already dont enough to get DQ'd 2 times

That's because of the pants increasing the risk of injury and most BJJ practitioners are NOT vocational/professional/paid to do it, ergo it adds unnecessary risk for very little gain. Besides, ankle locks that target the achilles are more effective in tournament situations.

I agree that elbows being banned would be a good idea for the following reason:

The cuts they cause do not enhance MMA, they just lead to doctor stoppages, scarring, and seeing the carnage during Miller vs Lauzon was a great way to make my gf (and other casual/squeamish viewers) justify opposition to watching UFC.

I think Pride had a better rule set personally, not because I'm some irrational fan boy, but because they seemed to get it when it came to elbows.

I don't have a particular fighter that I am fond of that would benefit from a ban nor do I dislike any fighters that would be harmed by a ban, I am neutral, but I believe elbows are bad for the sport.

That's because of the pants increasing the risk of injury and most BJJ practitioners are NOT vocational/professional/paid to do it, ergo it adds unnecessary risk for very little gain. Besides, ankle locks that target the achilles are more effective in tournament situations.

I agree that elbows being banned would be a good idea for the following reason:

The cuts they cause do not enhance MMA, they just lead to doctor stoppages, scarring, and seeing the carnage during Miller vs Lauzon was a great way to make my gf (and other casual/squeamish viewers) justify opposition to watching UFC.

I think Pride had a better rule set personally, not because I'm some irrational fan boy, but because they seemed to get it when it came to elbows.

I don't have a particular fighter that I am fond of that would benefit from a ban nor do I dislike any fighters that would be harmed by a ban, I am neutral, but I believe elbows are bad for the sport.

actually there is an IBJJF pro league and heel hooks and scissors are illegal there too. they are also illegal for no gi so the pants have nothing to do with it

2012 has been the year for injuries..what if in 2013 we started to see an abnormal amount of fights end due to cuts? I was thinking of this last night after seeing Boetsch/Philippou and Miller/Lauzon. I know Boetsch got cut by a headbutt and not an elbow, but the back to back cut of Boetsch and Lauzon was awful. That fight really meant nothing for Phillipou...so what if next year this started happening? Would the fans get annoyed with this? 2012 the year for injuries...2013 the year for fights ending early due to elbows :)

Why are you hoping for problems?

I mean what if a bunch of guys were killed by straight punches. Do you think we can finally see those outlawed? Wouldn't it be awesome if a bunch of guys broke their necks on double leg take downs so the commission would ban wrestling?

Elbows have been looked at, and premature stoppages due to cuts created by elbows are statistically insignificant. There's no problem to fix here.

Miller threw those standing elbows to rock Lauzon and try to put him away, not to cover him in a crimson mask.

Those elbows did rock Lauzon too. I don't get what standing elbows thrown to finish has to do with banning elbows on the ground.

Also the eye poke which damaged Boetsch and even caused swelling and possibly Boetsch injury seemed to be bigger factors than the cut from the incidental headbutt.

actually there is an IBJJF pro league and heel hooks and scissors are illegal there too. they are also illegal for no gi so the pants have nothing to do with it

Well then they simply decided that the injury risk did not improve on competition. Scissors take downs are also illegal in Judo.

Back