Will this build your neck???

i wouldn't go so far as to say "build" your neck. it's just basic isometrics MAN!! a very very limited way to train your neck. do some bridges, they will "build your neck" better than just about anything else.

ya, but i have neck problems and back problems and not sure of proper technique for bridges....and i heard you have to do like 4 diff kinds to keep your neck even/straight i guess is the word........

i dont know proper tech. for bridges and i hear that it can be dangerous if you dont know it

Its not a bad way to start out if you havent done any type of neck work before.
For strength you will need extra resistance, bridges, a partner or a neckharness can all work for that.
Personally I think that bridges are the king when you can handle them!

Yeah i heard bridges arent the safest workouts, and many diferent sites tell you to do it different ways, find a wreslter and ask them, since bridges are a wretslers workout.

we do chin tucks, side to sides, and ear to shoulders, 50 of each as part of our warm up

chin tucks - lie on your back keep your head slightly off the mat, then tuck your chin to your chest, then lay your head back but do not let it touch the ground. So it's like nodding "yes" without letting your head touch the mat.

side to sides - lie flat on your back, keep your head slightly off the mat, and take your head side to side as if shaking your head "No" to the left then to the right is 1 repitition

ear to shoulder - lie flat on your back, keep your head slightly off the mat, tilt your head to one side then the other, trying to touch your ear to your shoulder.

warning, these exercises are horrible, but will stack your neck and provide immense help in the guard and for bridging/sweeping.

I played football in High School and always used either a neck harness (a thing you put on your head that had a chain dangling down, with which you can attach weight), or a 4-way machine. At the end of high school, I had a 17 inch neck, and now I'm sporting the 18".

Neck bridges sounds pretty damn fun though, I'll give them a try if I can ever find a damn video of someone using proper form.

You can always use a weight and a towel.

Sit in a chair or on the end of a flat bench, bow down and place a towel on the back of your head and place and hold a 10,25,35lb,etc plate on top of the towel. Simply look down at the ground and then without moving your torso and just moving your neck begin to look up.

and then.

lay on a flat bench, make sure your neck is hanging off the end. Now place a towel on your forehead and then place a 10,25,35lb, etc plate on the towel and bend your neck down and then back up until your chin is tucked up near you throat.

These two motions hit the rear and front areas of your neck and should help you work your way to attaining the girth you seek.

krellik said:
Its not a bad way to start out if you havent done any type of neck work before.
For strength you will need extra resistance, bridges, a partner or a neckharness can all work for that.
Personally I think that bridges are the king when you can handle them!

i hear wrestlers do a load of bridges. i might give this a try

I do isometric ones like they describe int he article and they work ok. I used to do briding in wrestling and that is good for neck building, but it can be dangerous. But IMO, the best neck work I ahve done was head harrasment in wrestling where you try to move the other guys head around and he does the same, and you each try to keep your head stationary. That is an awesome workout and if you grapple, you should definitly give it a try. Probably a lot safer than briding too because you are not loading the spine.

But BE CAREFUL with the neck. Never go to failure, or even near it. I know, I have hurt my neck before, just by getting it too tired, and then something cramps, something else gets pulled out of alignment, and then you are in a lot of pain for a week. So take it easy whatever you do.

Neck bridges progressively adding small increments from session to session and working with a harness using the same concept is prety good and be carefull about going to failure when working your neck. Near failure is still tough and alot safer, but hey, different strokes for diiferent folkes.

we do all sorts of neck bridging in wrestling class. i love it, it feels great. but you have to go at your own pace. and don't be afraid of looking "weak" if you use your hands for support. almost everyone uses their hands, only people who have spent alot of time building up strength and flexibility over time can do proper bridges hands-free.

Universal gave good advice, don't go to failure. Stupid Matt Furey writes in his crap book Combat Conditioning about holding a bridge for ages and ages in one position. He's full of crap.

oyaji poi said:
Stupid Matt Furey writes in his crap book Combat Conditioning about holding a bridge for ages and ages in one position. He's full of crap.

HAHAHAHAH
Yep, everyone loves good old Matt Furey.

I use a harness and chains. In addition to bridges and hand held resitance. Be carefull!

The "neck" isn't a max out muscle.

Also do high pulls, shrugs, and anything that hits the traps.

Behind the neck barbell press and upright rows worked best for me

Annsofia said:
Behind the neck barbell press and upright rows worked best for me

Well we have to separate the trapz and the neck now wont we?

Back