Will the real Champ-Champ please stand up....

D'z

Me against 40 of you?...A fair fight! -Big L
@Black
Reaction score
Curious about a few things regarding the "Champ-Champ" status.

1) Who do you regard as the original "Champ- Champ"? I realize this is based on one's definition of Champ-Champ(that's why "you" is bold), I'm asking based off your definition)

2) Slightly less pertinent, but still, out of all the supposed Champ-Champs whom do you consider to be the most dominant?

3) Who is your favorite?

4) Who do you hate the most?

Is it....
Hendo?-
Dan-Henderson-Belts.jpg

BJ?-
BJ-Penn-Holding-His-UFC-Champion-Belts.jpg

Randy?-

rc.jpg

Conor?-
image.jpg

GSP?-
0223-spt-col-cowan-2.jpg

DC?-
images (11).jpg

Nunes?-
13109196_web1_MMA-UFC245-DEC13-19hf_013.jpg

Or, Cejudo?-
i.jpg

*Honorable mention/Technacality* Vitor?
Joe-Rogan-Vitor-Belfort.jpg

Pretty sure I put those in chronological order(with Vitor as an exception). So I'll start...

1. Original - Hendo
2. Dominant- Nunes
3. Favorite- Hmmm, tough call between Hendo and GSP, but I have to go with Hendo.
4. Hated- Easy call, Conor

So, sherpeeps, opinions-

Last edited:
Hot take, Aldo is effectively a champ champ given everyone saw Edgar as the champion after the second Bendo fight and Aldo faced him immediately after. As far as the most dominant champ, it's easily Nunes. But that doesn't mean greatest or best.

Hot take, Aldo is effectively a champ champ given everyone saw Edgar as the champion after the second Bendo fight and Aldo faced him immediately after. As far as the most dominant champ, it's easily Nunes. But that doesn't mean greatest or best.
I'm not following. How is it that Aldo is "effectively champ champ"?

I'm not following. How is it that Aldo is "effectively champ champ"?
He beat Edgar at FW while the latter was effectively champion at LW. Im mostly joking but also pointing out champ champ is pretty arbitrary and more a promotional achievement than raw skill achievement.

Curious about a few things regarding the "Champ-Champ" status.

1) Who do you regard as the original "Champ- Champ"? I realize this is based on one's definition of Champ-Champ(that's why "you" is bold), I'm asking based off your definition)

2) Slightly less pertinent, but still, out of all the supposed Champ-Champs whom do you consider to be the most dominant?

3) Who is your favorite?

4) Who do you hate the most?

Is it....
Hendo?-
View attachment 852718

BJ?-
View attachment 852722

Randy?-

View attachment 852726

Conor?-
View attachment 852727

GSP?-
View attachment 852731

DC?-
View attachment 852730

Nunes?-
View attachment 852732

Or, Cejudo?-
View attachment 852733

*Honorable mention/Technacality* Vitor?
View attachment 852735

Pretty sure I put those in chronological order(with Vitor as an exception). So I'll start...

1. Original - Hendo
2. Dominant- Nunes
3. Favorite- Hmmm, tough call between Hendo and GSP, but I have to go with Hendo.
4. Hated- Easy call, Conor

So, sherpeeps, opinions-
no

Attachments

• HenrySquat.png
    HenrySquat.png
    489.8 KB · Views: 6
I know it's a long thread, but it's not like y'all actually had to read very much. Yet not one of you answered the 4-part question.
<JagsKiddingMe>

Edit- Look to this thread to find the posters with reading comprehension issues.:)

1.) BJ - I don't count Henderson because he had pride titles. He lost both titles in the UFC so was never the best at both weight classes.

2.) CCC - Based on a slightly different definition. He is the only one that I actually think would be ranked number 1 in both divisions. Conor always had Khabib and DC always had Jones in the division. Amanda doesn’t count because 145 is a joke.

3.) Henderson based on personality

4.) Nunes - I just view WMMA as inferior and don’t think she should be viewed as part of the pack. Bader was champ champ of two harder divisions than she is

He beat Edgar at FW while the latter was effectively champion at LW. Im mostly joking but also pointing out champ champ is pretty arbitrary and more a promotional achievement than raw skill achievement.
No this is wrong in so many ways. Champ Champ is one of the hardest things to do, it's hard enough to become champion in 1 division, it's even harder trying to be champion in 2 divisions. Most fighters will never even be a champion in 1 division. Look at all the fighters that also tried and didn't succeed, You have a few names on the champ champ list, how many single division champions compared to champ champs in the history of the UFC? If it was easy everybody would be able to do it, yet the champ champ list is small.

Beating champions is harder than beating title contenders.

No this is wrong in so many ways. Champ Champ is one of the hardest things to do, it's hard enough to become champion in 1 division, it's even harder trying to be champion in 2 divisions. Most fighters will never even be a champion in 1 division. Beating champions is harder than beating title contenders.
You realize that prior to Mcgregor, the UFC rule was that if you moved up you had to give up your belt if you won a 2nd belt? Hence when Aldo wanted to move up to fight Pettis, he was told he couldn't unless he was willing to drop the FW belt. Winning 2 belts is incredibly hard, but holding them at the same time is a marketing gimmick in the UFC.

You realize that prior to Mcgregor, the UFC rule was that if you moved up you had to give up your belt if you won a 2nd belt? Hence when Aldo wanted to move up to fight Pettis, he was told he couldn't unless he was willing to drop the FW belt. Winning 2 belts is incredibly hard, but holding them at the same time is a marketing gimmick in the UFC.
It's not just about holding both belts at the same time, I'm saying being champion in 2 divisions. Aldo did try to be double champ, it just didn't work out. He decided to drop weight instead of moving up in weight to attempt becoming a champion in 2 divisions.

It's not just about holding both belts at the same time, I'm saying being champion in 2 divisions. Aldo did try to be double champ, it just didn't work out. He decided to drop weight instead of moving up in weight to attempt becoming a champion in 2 divisions.
And yet, being champ of FW and then beating the person most people saw as LW champ is more impressive than most of the double champ claims. No one is saying double champ status is easy, but it's overrated in terms of difficulty.

Hence why I made this thread subject to one's personal definition, and not anyone else's.
<LucyBless>

...though I do agree that Aldo qualifying for the "Champ Champ" title in this example is an even further stretch than I thought Vitor to be initially. Like, damn bro, Aldo? Really? How the....
{<huh}
<{outtahere}>

He is a category by himself :
Fedor Emelianenko

I like :
1 : Hendo
2 : Randy
3 : GSP

I hate :
1 : Corner Cornor
2 : DC, BC, AC, CC,

Hence why I made this thread subject to one's personal definition, and not anyone else's.
<LucyBless>

...though I do agree that Aldo qualifying for the "Champ Champ" title in this example is an even further stretch than I thought Vitor to be initially. Like, damn bro, Aldo? Really? How the....
{<huh}
<{outtahere}>
No I don't count Aldo as a champ champ because he never actually got the belt yet. Another poster sees him as one because he beat Frankie who had a controversial loss to Benson. I rank 2 division champs higher than 1 division champs, because I personally feel it's a harder accomplishment.

Reactions: D'z
Beating champions is harder than beating title contenders.

The problem is that going from contender to champ is dependent on being granted a TS and matchmaking in general.

Top contenders might suffer from poor management or just not be very marketable and get screwed out of rightful title shots for years. Think guys like Fitch, T Ferg, Raphael Assuncao. The reigning champ may not even be acknowledged the best fighter in the division and that's why these kinds of debates are subjective. MMA math and styles making fights are also factors in defining who is the "best."

McG had a decent claim to being the best at 145 (although he never fought Frankie and IMO full camp Mendes would have beaten him), but in Alvarez he was matched with certainly one of the weaker 155 champs of his era and McG never defended either belt. Ditto for GSP taking out Bisping. Those guys becoming Champ Champ is hella impressive but IMO can't compare to Jones, Anderson, GSP (and Aldo) cleaning out their divisions while taking on all comers for years and remaining on top.

Last edited:
Back