Will The Obsession With Jones' Image Ever End?

Its The Monday following another brilliant Jones performance. Low and behold, a visit to mmafighting.com doesnt boast an article reminding us to revel in appreciation of The main event of 182, but takes a 1000th look at why "we" just cant seem to like him, with a reminder of every instance that altered fan perception.

Will this recurring theme ever end? Is it not obvious to The majority yet this "fakeness" is an attempt to be a positive role model to children watching? Will The media ever stop beating this dead horse of picking at Jones character?

As The viewing public its our right to like and dislike who we want for whatever reason. And of course The media will catch wind and instigate it. But is The biggest story from Saturday about how Jones greatness gives us more reason to dislike him?

Horrible article and idk about you guys but im sick of this narrative

At some point, it will be impossible to deny his greatness. For Jones fans its already a known but at his current pace he is going to break every record that matters. The media, and the community to some extent are mad that Jones is this incredible talent who seems to love being a smug dickhead. Well, too bad. As long as he continues to pile on incredible wins he will eventually be thought of as one of the all time greats, if he isn't already, and the media will not be able to escape it.

People hated Jordon?

I always found MJ to be very well spoken in interviews before/after games. Like Gretzky he towed the line well and never was disrespectful in interviews.

Maybe I missed something?
besides ppl hating him for always winning, he talked mega shit lol

I thought clickbait was shit like mmamania having a headline that read Anderson vs Jones for Corey Andersons last fight.

Expected more from mmas number one media outlet

It's a sad affair not doubt but I think it points to the lack of maturity in sport of MMA that we don't really have many GOOD journalists that aren't under Zuffa's thumb some how, imo. TMZ ftw

i think all those cases differ from Jones though.

Mj and Kobe were hated for being shit talking winners, but The sports media never recurringly examined their characters and all The perceived faults of who they are. ESPECIALLY after championship wins!

Tyson was fuckin nuts lol and Ali purposely made himself a villain
You also didn't have the internet back then and a bunch of kids posting that think trolling is something top be proud of or a good way to kill some time. Or any idiot with a thought didn't have a medium to get it across to the general public in the forms or articles and blogs. Then throw in the sheep factor, the desire for internet validation, and people hating winners to begin with the phenomenon isn't really all that surprising unfortunately.

Link to Jones stating people should look up to him? Think youre reaching there, dont recall him ever stating that so bluntly.

This is The fight Game. You can be a positive role model, and also not take shit from The challenger who has been instigating The "fake" narrative to get ppl to hate him

This is all a bit funny your reasoning for disliking is Jones is he wants to be a role model but makes mistakes lol

i never said i dislike jones. i was explaining that jones himself made character an issue by speaking in terms of being a role model. and no, i'm not reaching, jones literally said people should look up to him. and then proceeded to do things that are not admirable.

and yes this is the fight game--you can go and fight and win and not pretend you're doing something noble at the same time. or that your a role model. jones is like a youg kobe bryant--totally awkward in interviews, very forced, very unnatural, not comfortable with who he was...and very very talented.

i hope jones relaxes and starts to discover who he is and worry less about crafting some persona. it'll be more fun to watch him.

You also didn't have the internet back then and a bunch of kids posting that think trolling is something top be proud of or a good way to kill some time. Or any idiot with a thought didn't have a medium to get it across to the general public in the forms or articles and blogs. Then throw in the sheep factor, the desire for internet validation, and people hating winners to begin with the phenomenon isn't really all that surprising unfortunately.

Very true all great points

People hated Jordon?

I always found MJ to be very well spoken in interviews before/after games. Like Gretzky he towed the line well and never was disrespectful in interviews.

Maybe I missed something?

Agreed. Jordan haters were a minority, and they were people who simply thought he was too good. And Gretzky...did anyone hate Gretsky other than a few fans of rival teams in his era perhaps?

1. Jones may be criticized daily, but how is he being harassed? He is not. It is a stupid claim. I am not sure who TJ is, but it does seemt hat many fans do not like Jon Jones as a human being. So I suppose it would be an accurate thing to say.

2. I think people are being very specific about why they do not like Jon Jones.

Let me give you some examples:

a. A lot of fans do not like him because he portrayed himself as an upright christian, and then behaved very differently.

b. Some fans hold a grudge because he smashed a car while drunk driving, thus endangering his passengers.

c. Many fans dislike him because they think he is a dirty fighter.

d. Some fans took issue with him for what they felt were homophobic remarks.

We could debate the merits of any of those claims, but Jon has certainly given his critics plenty to work with. Claiming racism without evidence is a way of ignoring the arguments people are actually making.

It cheapens the rhetoric of racial equality to use it in this manner.

Let's not forget that the pot snitch thing is a small factor here too. That rubbed a lot of Sherdoggers the wrong way. It just sorta spoke to the type of dude that he is.

hes a dirty fighter, he honestly did it to himself
that being said tho I thought he fought a great fight against dc without any dirty tactics, the way id like to always see him fight

Back