Will The Obsession With Jones' Image Ever End?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Joseph Budden, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Joseph Budden

Joseph Budden Banned Banned

Its The Monday following another brilliant Jones performance. Low and behold, a visit to mmafighting.com doesnt boast an article reminding us to revel in appreciation of The main event of 182, but takes a 1000th look at why "we" just cant seem to like him, with a reminder of every instance that altered fan perception.

Will this recurring theme ever end? Is it not obvious to The majority yet this "fakeness" is an attempt to be a positive role model to children watching? Will The media ever stop beating this dead horse of picking at Jones character?

As The viewing public its our right to like and dislike who we want for whatever reason. And of course The media will catch wind and instigate it. But is The biggest story from Saturday about how Jones greatness gives us more reason to dislike him?

Horrible article and idk about you guys but im sick of this narrative

2. Luke Rockhard

Luke Rockhard Purple Belt

Happens to all GOATS. People hated Jordan back in his day, people hated Kobe.. People hated Tyson and people hated Ali. Some people hate greatness, it comes with being the best.

Jones is by far the current greatest UFC fighter of all time. It's no longer even a debate and people hate that. Since they can't bash his fighting skill, they bash the one thing they can, his personality.

3. MMun

MMun Black Belt

No. Whether it's GSP, Fedor, Anderson or Jones, one thing is the same: The haters never shut up.

4. Frozenkilt

Frozenkilt Purple Belt

Nope.

It's his only "weakness". He's the bad guy and 'everyone' wants to see him lose but it isn't going to happen. So they'll lock onto the character instead.

I'm not even sort of a Jones fan but he's hanging onto that belt until he decides he's done with it.

So all the mma community can do is shake their collective fists and call him a bad person.

[​IMG]

5. Reach4theSky

Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

For real. Completely agree. Jon Jones' talent should be celebrated. He's becoming the GOAT.

6. Frank Edgar

Frank Edgar Purple Belt

Pretty much every single thread on Sherdog right now is about Jon Jones. He is the most hated fighter ever lol. I hope he keeps winning.

7. Joseph Budden

i think all those cases differ from Jones though.

Mj and Kobe were hated for being shit talking winners, but The sports media never recurringly examined their characters and all The perceived faults of who they are. ESPECIALLY after championship wins!

Tyson was fuckin nuts lol and Ali purposely made himself a villain

8. Joseph Budden

Those three men never had their character villified

9. Luke Rockhard

Luke Rockhard Purple Belt

as being an older guy I couldn't even imagine being - Rich, successful and famous all at the young age of 23. You're still a child at that age and IMO Jones has handled it well. Because let's face the facts, you're a bitch between the ages of 21-28. You really don't mature as an adult till you hit your 30's. Your 20's are for your mistakes.

10. Perrichet

Perrichet Tinpot Belt

It will end when Jones himself no longer is obsessed with his own image

11. Juventud

Juventud Black Belt

It's fine for forums but if you brought this whiney pussy shit up in a real life conversation about fighting you'd look like such an idiot.

Talking about fighting skills then some girl says he doesn't like his personality.

I'd just laugh at them and walk away.

It's fighting. Not a pageant.

12. IRENICUS

IRENICUS Purple Belt

I didn't like his attitude much before, he seemed fake to me.
    However I like his current arrogant attitude because it really seems sincere.
    His feud with Cormier was great and he had witty words like "you can be a role model for being able to lose a lot of weight", "if you bought a break bones TS take it back you wasted your money", etc
    That seem to be his true self and I like honesty.

13. Fantastic_Man

Fantastic_Man Brown Belt

I think He's one of the best fighters ever to walk the earth.. Do I have to like him? No! He's a dick! lol.. I'll watch Him fight every time though!

14. Theproof

Theproof Brown Belt

Just something for the haters to hate on because Jones Skills are too ridiculous to bash.

15. Joseph Budden

I dont get The Feeling hes obsessed w it, just tries to be concious of it. A long time ago that translated to a narrative of "fakeness" but at this pont in his reign, especially w no good reason at all at The moment to bring it up, its disgusting thats The focus again of a mainstream mma media article rather than a focus of just appreciating The fight and his abilities

16. born2killl

born2killl Brown Belt

It is ridiculous and pathetic, that what began as bitter shogun fans crying after that fight has grown & grown into this disgusting massive bullying/bitching campaign. Its an embarrassment to the sport. Jealous & racist as hell.

17. mma midwest fan

mma midwest fan Purple Belt

There will be some people who will always dis like someone who is dominant and successful. This makes up a percentage of Jones haters. However, there is something about Jones that is polarizing beyond this. There are some champs who have very few haters.

Think Chuck Liddell. Sure, there were people who probably thought he was overrated and would soon be "exposed" by this or that weakness (EVERY fighter has someone on the internet saying this about them), but you very rarely find/found any true hate threads about Chuck.

Or, let's look at JDS. Very few haters. He is about as polite and kind of a persona that you will find, but nobody thinks he's "fake." He gets lots of KO's and lets that do the talking.

Why are guys like that widely beloved and Jones isn't?

18. Perrichet

Perrichet Tinpot Belt

He's definitely obsessed about how he's perceived to the public.

He wouldn't have felt the need to portray himself as something he's not, lie about how his Instagram was hacked after the uproar about his outburst/homophobic comments.

He constantly puts his foot in his mouth

19. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Those three men gave less ammo to their critics. Had GSP smashed up his car while driving drunk, I think we would have been reminded on a weekly basis. I can hear the jokes: "The only thing GSP could finish was a beer before starting his car." "The last time GSP had bad intentions in a fight, the telephone pole won."

The age of only skill mattering and not character is long gone, if it ever truly existed. OJ probably did the most to kill it, but guys like Ray Rice and Lance Armstrong added their own contributions.

I think Jones' character issues are overblown and can be chalked up largely to his relative youth, but it is laughably naive to think he will get a pass in 2015 simply because he is great in the cage.

20. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

1. How exactly is Jon Jones being bullied?

2. Is there any evidence for the dislike of Jon being racist other than that he is black and some white fighters are not hated as much as he is?