Will The Obsession With Jones' Image Ever End?

a5mqhk.jpg

I do think that the image or the perception of Jones' tends to undermine some of his performances, which is unfortunate. He only eye poked Cormier once (by my count), so they couldn't use that for subject matter for an article.

People hate Lebron James and he's arguably the best player in the sport. That's not an identical comparison, but I think people just like picking a team. Love or hate Jones, he's the best 205 lb fighter on the planet, so reporters and fans can criticize his image until they are blue in the face. I think when Jones inevitably losses or retires, his career will be looked back on with much higher esteem than people look at it now, and that is not right in my opinion.

You are The first to mention Lebron and without a doubt thats The best comparison. The rare instance of another great who made a slew of public image mistakes when he went to miami which for yearssss had The media questioning his character at every opportunity.

Great comparison

Yes, it was actually. It got to the point where people would just make up shit about him. The one about him supposedly using his sick mother to skip a seminar was pretty bad.

Yeah but thats sherdog lol there were never any media articles about anderson skipping a seminar for his Mom lol

JBJ has some haters because well he's a sad excuse for a human being. GSP had his haters but everyone respected the way he carried himself as a champion and true ambassador to the sport. JBJ will probably be around dominating for a long time, I just won't spend another penny supporting that trash

You are The first to mention Lebron and without a doubt thats The best comparison. The rare instance of another great who made a slew of public image mistakes when he went to miami which for yearssss had The media questioning his character at every opportunity.

Great comparison

I remember someone telling me Kobe would beat LeBron 1v1. I like Kobe and he is obviously a legend but no way could he take LeBron. He is way stronger and could drive on him every time. Even prime Kobe would have trouble.

no, and his wins will also always be tainted by his dirty moves (eyepokes mainly)

I remember someone telling me Kobe would beat LeBron 1v1. I like Kobe and he is obviously a legend but no way could he take LeBron. He is way stronger and could drive on him every time. Even prime Kobe would have trouble.

Kobe would school Lebron 1v1 though lol thats Kobes Game is to go off when defense plays man, Lebron is more of an all Around player. It would be close but def kobe in his prime would be favored. Too old w too many injuries present day though

1. How exactly is Jon Jones being bullied?

2. Is there any evidence for the dislike of Jon being racist other than that he is black and some white fighters are not hated as much as he is?

1) Hes being trash talked & put down by not just fans but also the mma media on a regular basis for no reason. Its not physical bullying obviously, but the sort of bullying TMZ does to celebrities like say paris hilton, where they degrade them every day & try to get everybody to join in & harass them.
I think Sherdog's own TJ said that fans (because he speaks for all fans) dont like jon jones as a human being. What kind of shit is that to say

2) Theres no evidence its partly racism because of course people arent going to come out and say they dont like him because hes black. Theyre going to say "I dislike him and i dont know why; i cant put my finger on it".
I can put my finger on it. I know exactly why and its embarrassing.

Just ignore it Joseph

Fuck that mmafighting is The number one mma media outlet, when an article this retarded is published im more than happy to share my opinion with The mma community, its a welcome break from trolling

Kobe would school Lebron 1v1 though lol thats Kobes Game is to go off when defense plays man, Lebron is more of an all Around player. It would be close but def kobe in his prime would be favored. Too old w too many injuries present day though

LeBron shuts down anyone he defends though. I remember Rose was going off then LeBron switched to PG and he literally could do nothing. Not saying Rose is Kobe but still, Lebron is good at defense too and he's a lot bigger then Kobe.

Hes made mistakes like all humans. He shouldnt try to be a role model for kids because of a dui?

Either way, none of those things are still a valid reason for some schmuck at mmafighting to be writing about hating Jon Jones after saturday

i would say getting a dui is not a good start for someone who repeatedly says they think people should look up to him.

athletes don't have to be role models--a lot of athletes don't court that responsibility. jones does. that means he has to keep his shit together by: not brawling at weigh ins, not getting arrested, not behaving badly when he thinks the cameras are off.

or, just be a great athlete and don't worry about being a role model. a young guy in his 20s isn't usually role model material to begin with for fuck's sake. someone shoulda told jones to take it easy on that count. its hard enough to be a top athlete without adding all that other nonsense.

i would say getting a dui is not a good start for someone who repeatedly says they think people should look up to him.

athletes don't have to be role models--a lot of athletes don't court that responsibility. jones does. that means he has to keep his shit together by: not brawling at weigh ins, not getting arrested, not behaving badly when he thinks the cameras are off.

or, just be a great athlete and don't worry about being a role model. a young guy in his 20s isn't usually role model material to begin with for fuck's sake. someone shoulda told jones to take it easy on that count. its hard enough to be a top athlete without adding all that other nonsense.

Link to Jones stating people should look up to him? Think youre reaching there, dont recall him ever stating that so bluntly.

This is The fight Game. You can be a positive role model, and also not take shit from The challenger who has been instigating The "fake" narrative to get ppl to hate him

This is all a bit funny your reasoning for disliking is Jones is he wants to be a role model but makes mistakes lol

Yeah but thats sherdog lol there were never any media articles about anderson skipping a seminar for his Mom lol

True, that was invovling someone who posted here. If I wanted to see an article about Silva's personality, I could google "Anderson Silva 112" or something like that. :D

Still, the insistence that Jones be loved is equally stupid. He is a polarizing figure, and most of his fans accept that and even revel in it.
Youll get no insistence from me, as i originally pointed out The viewing public have The right to feel however they want.

I just question why at this time The media, or at least this writer, feels its a good time to yet again bring that narrative to The forefront and make reasons people hate Jones The story coming out of 182

Because they hate Jon Jones

EDIT: And it's tabloid level press which is more clickbait trolling than anything else

Happens to all GOATS. People hated Jordan back in his day, people hated Kobe.. People hated Tyson and people hated Ali. Some people hate greatness, it comes with being the best.

Jones is by far the current greatest UFC fighter of all time. It's no longer even a debate and people hate that. Since they can't bash his fighting skill, they bash the one thing they can, his personality.

Um not it doesn't. Fedor was pretty much universally liked by all other than a few butthurt UFC fanboys who couldn't accept that the best heavyweights were in PRIDE rather than in the UFC.

Because they hate Jon Jones

EDIT: And it's tabloid level press which is more clickbait trolling than anything else

I thought clickbait was shit like mmamania having a headline that read Anderson vs Jones for Corey Andersons last fight.

Expected more from mmas number one media outlet

1) Hes being trash talked & put down by not just fans but also the mma media on a regular basis for no reason. Its not physical bullying obviously, but the sort of bullying TMZ does to celebrities like say paris hilton, where they degrade them every day & try to get everybody to join in & harass them.
I think Sherdog's own TJ said that fans (because he speaks for all fans) dont like jon jones as a human being. What kind of shit is that to say

2) Theres no evidence its partly racism because of course people arent going to come out and say they dont like him because hes black. Theyre going to say "I dislike him and i dont know why; i cant put my finger on it".
I can put my finger on it. I know exactly why and its embarrassing.

1. Jones may be criticized daily, but how is he being harassed? He is not. It is a stupid claim. I am not sure who TJ is, but it does seemt hat many fans do not like Jon Jones as a human being. So I suppose it would be an accurate thing to say.

2. I think people are being very specific about why they do not like Jon Jones.

Let me give you some examples:

a. A lot of fans do not like him because he portrayed himself as an upright christian, and then behaved very differently.

b. Some fans hold a grudge because he smashed a car while drunk driving, thus endangering his passengers.

c. Many fans dislike him because they think he is a dirty fighter.

d. Some fans took issue with him for what they felt were homophobic remarks.

We could debate the merits of any of those claims, but Jon has certainly given his critics plenty to work with. Claiming racism without evidence is a way of ignoring the arguments people are actually making.

It cheapens the rhetoric of racial equality to use it in this manner.

Happens to all GOATS. People hated Jordan back in his day, people hated Kobe.. People hated Tyson and people hated Ali. Some people hate greatness, it comes with being the best.

Jones is by far the current greatest UFC fighter of all time. It's no longer even a debate and people hate that. Since they can't bash his fighting skill, they bash the one thing they can, his personality.

People hated Jordon?

I always found MJ to be very well spoken in interviews before/after games. Like Gretzky he towed the line well and never was disrespectful in interviews.

Maybe I missed something?

As The viewing public its our right to like and dislike who we want for whatever reason.

No. It it our right to tell ourselves that what we think matters when we know that it will not affect the people we see on TV one bit.

Back