Will MMA ever be in the top 5 most popular sports in the world?

Will MMA ever be in the top 5 most popular sports in the world?

• Yes it will be in the next 30 years or so.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Yes it will be in the next 10-15 years or so.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • It will never in the top 5, maybe in the top 10.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • It will never be in the top 10.

Votes: 44 50.0%
  • I have no idea.

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
voted never in top 10. It is a niche and violent sport that is looked down upon in many parts of the world
I remember reading some Daily mail UK articles on MMA and most the comments were calling it a barbaric sport and legalized violence.

I actually prefer it being a niche sport and small community rather than it going mainstream
Will always be an MMA fan regardless how big it gets

Also my Saint Jones shirt arrived! Can't wait to wear it to MMA class tommorrow
20240909_205219.jpg

voted never in top 10. It is a niche and violent sport that is looked down upon in many parts of the world
I remember reading some Daily mail UK articles on MMA and most the comments were calling it a barbaric sport and legalized violence.

I actually prefer it being a niche sport and small community rather than it going mainstream
Will always be an MMA fan regardless how big it gets

Very well said, thanks.

I don't think it'll ever crack the top 10, but I'm okay with that. I went from renting events on VHS in the 90's (months after the event happened.) to watching a card almost every weekend..

I'm a happy fight fan.. 😄

What you call "looking down" is little more than fake posturing by governments/MSM for political reasons. In reality, violence is embraced universally by every major human culture.

You can't tell me a violent sport can't ever be top 10 in popularity in a world where GTAV is the biggest entertainment release of all time.

What you call "looking down" is little more than fake posturing by governments/MSM for political reasons. In reality, violence is embraced universally by every major human culture.

You can't tell me a violent sport can't ever be top 10 in popularity in a world where GTAV is the biggest entertainment release of all time.
Yeah I agree MMA is awesome and should be celebrated by the majority. I think boxing could have potential to be top 10, but MMA is relatively new, it might take a few centuries to reach 450 million fans, and by then the top 10 sports will probably have billions of fans

Didn’t realize Volleyball was #5. As big as Baseball and Golf combined.

Especially didn’t think Hockey had 4 times the amount of fans as Baseball.

Last edited:

GTA V isn't though based on a quick google search.

Minecraft has by far outsold GTA V by like 100 million

As for releases:
1725880910401.png

It doesn't change your point about violence being popular, as evidenced by the top3 lol'

I selected "I have no idea" but I don't think MMA will be in the top10

Yeah I agree MMA is awesome and should be celebrated by the majority. I think boxing could have potential to be top 10, but MMA is relatively new, it might take a few centuries to reach 450 million fans, and by then the top 10 sports will probably have billions of fans

Huh? Basketball was invented in the 1890s, there wasn't even an recognized international league until the 1930s, NBA didn't even become a thing until like 1950. MMA today is already far ahead of where basketball was relative to other sports in the 1950s. Why does it have to take "a few centuries"?

GTA V isn't though based on a quick google search.

Minecraft has by far outsold GTA V by like 100 million

As for releases:
View attachment 1061854

It doesn't change your point about violence being popular, as evidenced by the top3 lol'

I selected "I have no idea" but I don't think MMA will be in the top10

Both your Googling and your video game knowledge are shit. You list literally has GTA4 on it but not GTA5. Anybody with even a semblance of video game knowledge knows how much bigger GTA5 was compared to 4. The fact that you think "accumulated units sold" is some ultimate indicator of video game profitability is laughable. Heard of Microtransactions? What about GTA Online? When was the last time you even played a video game, the 1990s?

Also, guess what the COD and GTA franchises have in common? That's right, VIOLENCE.

Yeah, I'm glad someone else said it. I have a feeling this is really a "wait and see" kind of deal, but I am confident that the "sport" has its place at/among the top, and it's only a matter of time.

Its growth is at the moment limited by/in the hands of a select few entities. If cards are played right, 10-15 years is enough to get to top 5 status. 30+ years could have it at the top, or at least very strong if things don't go as swimmingly.

The only way this question becomes muddied to me is what happens to us as a species in 50-100+ years. The future is increasingly unpredictable. I don't mean we won't be here, I mean we could be cyborgs, partly/mostly digital, etc. Or we could kind of do a 180 and go back to harmony with nature. Who knows.

Unless we do become cyborgs/space faring holograms etc I don't see how MMA won't have lasting appeal. It isn't barbaric, if most people pulled back the layers of what they regularly watched, consumed and did they would see that. So in that sense to me it's a matter of time until the nobility of 1v1 fighting is once again exalted. When there are no wars, humanity is united, etc, peaceful contest will be even more important. Not less.

Back