Will Jon Jones' legacy stand the test of time?

Jake the Muss

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Would we remember him as the greatest mixed martial artists of all time, or would he always have an asterisk or question mark on his record?

Last edited:
Somewhere behind Machida, Evans Shogun, Hammil & Sean Salmon.

It's not like he's the most dominent LHW ever now is it!

If we are ok with Jones, we are ok with all the others also

Most fans acknowledge Jon Jones as the goat (Sherdog is a biased sample)

My goat list

Jon Jones
TJ Dillashaw
Anderson Silva
GSP
Fedor
Jose Aldo
Khabib
Nunes
Dometrious Johnson
Tony Ferguson

It will stand up better than anyone who's currently fighting. In terms of what that means in future generations who knows. Probably in 100 years he'd remembered like Joe Louis is now or maybe Jack Johnson or Dempsey. Most fans will have heard his name but most prolly won't know more than that. But that is better than what anyone else fighting(except maybe Conor whose wine brand has a serious chance of overshadowing his MMA career) can realistically hope for.

It will stand up better than anyone who's currently fighting. In terms of what that means in future generations who knows. Probably in 100 years he'd remembered like Joe Louis is now or maybe Jack Johnson or Dempsey. Most fans will have heard his name but most prolly won't know more than that. But that is better than what anyone else fighting(except maybe Conor whose wine brand has a serious chance of overshadowing his MMA career) can realistically hope for.
I won’t remember him as any of those guys. I will remember him as Mohammad Ali. The very best. There’s no one else as notable in the American mainstream. Conor is more famous but he doesn’t have the resume to be remembered as the all time great of MMA.

It couldn’t stand the tests of USADA.

But he is allowed to fight anyway.

Most fans acknowledge Jon Jones as the goat (Sherdog is a biased sample)
This thread was DOA for a reason. He's a cheater and a criminal and rat fink, who doesn't even belong in the HoF. No balls to even try to be double champ against a man he's beaten twice. Sound like GOAT shit to you?

If not for Usada/ UFC corruption he is supposed to be suspended for four years, right now.

This thread was DOA for a reason. He's a cheater and a criminal and rat fink, who doesn't even belong in the HoF. No balls to even try to be double champ against a man he's beaten twice. Sound like GOAT shit to you?
Double champs are overrated imo. They all get an imidiate title shot in a separate division and never defend 2 belts concurrently. It’s almost like having it gifted. Not having to put in the work to get it and don’t have to do the work defending it.

I won’t remember him as any of those guys. I will remember him as Mohammad Ali.

Like almost the same Muhammad Ali is still a contemporary figure though, Ali's current status(and particularly someone like Leonard, Mayweather or Pacquiao) over someone like Louis, Dempsey or Baer is based on the fact the generation in power grew up when he was on top. The durability of Ali's legacy will be more clear in 50 years when almost everyone who wasn't a toddler when he fought is dead. Because until that happens everytime you talk about a sports figure there's all sorts of superlatives.

Fat neckbeards will always hate him no matter what, but luckily they're utterly unimportant in determining a fighter's legacy so I'd say Jon's absolutely holds up. :)

Yes! Next question...

My goat list

Jon Jones
TJ Dillashaw
Anderson Silva
GSP
Fedor
Jose Aldo
Khabib
Nunes
Dometrious Johnson
Tony Ferguson

Tj? He was great but he got caught taking epo bro, its a hard sell to call him one of the goats even if he didn’t cheat tbh

he hasn't fought anyone other than massive under dogs since his steroid suspension. if he keep this up he's going to just build a GSP varietal legacy of having cleaned out the old guard, stunted the growth of emergent talent rushed into title fights and refusing dangerous match-ups beyond his talent emaciated weight class. i'm not impressed with post-suspension Jon Jones. I'm not saying he's not great, but he's not taking risks, it's not exciting and kinda makes him look like a prudent pussy for someone trying to proclaim himself the GOAT by refusing to venture outside the safety of a weight class, something all the real GOATS have done and done successfully. A true GOAT spirits seek challenging contests to prove their merit, they don't shy away from them.

it's probably why he turned in such a garbage performance against a mid-teir talent like Thiago Santos. because he can and still win. without competition and real contests there is no push to show your best.

Double champs are overrated imo. They all get an imidiate title shot in a separate division and never defend 2 belts concurrently. It’s almost like having it gifted. Not having to put in the work to get it and don’t have to do the work defending it.
Killashaw pops once his life was destroyed.. how many times has Jon popped? like 7 or 8 times? Except on Tuesday after the fight card Vegas kicked him out of town for. How are you not mad at a guy like Jon, as a Dilly fan?

Back