Will Jon Jones' legacy stand the test of time?

How did Khabib get on that list?

How could he be on the GOAT list with only 3 top 10 wins ( I’m sure he’ll earn more top 10 wins) ?

I know GOAT lists are subjective but....... all it takes to get on the list in Khabib’s case is 3 top 10 wins?
He’s 20+ fights undefeated the hottest thing in MMA not a man has been able to test him yet. Even if he doesn’t meat goat by your standards(he’s already in my top ten) he’s going to be there soon

Brb travelling to the future to determine the established opinion on Jones' legacy

tumblr_n3bzt7KomT1rzkkzqo8_250.gif

He’s 20+ fights undefeated the hottest thing in MMA not a man has been able to test him yet. Even if he doesn’t meat goat by your standards(he’s already in my top ten) he’s going to be there soon

Not a man has been able to test him yet?

It’s not a negative thing to be a champion in a division more than once. Losing isn’t even a negative thing especially if you come back and win. So what defines a champion a guy who wins the belt and the moment he loses it his reign wasn’t even good? Winning the belt again means you were able to pick yourself up dust yourself off make improvements and become champion again despite a man or woman being better than you on a particular night. In my opinion being champion in a single division more than once is only a testament to being able adapt to changes, and that’s an attribute of a real champion. Yeah having a nice long wring looks nice on paper but it only looks better against a guy who’s won lost and won it again on the condition that you don’t consider what it means to be able to beat someone who’s beaten you before or work your way back up in a game that’s constantly revolving. In my opinion TK didn’t deserve to lose his belt to Cruz that night and was always and in a way still is the lineal bantamweight champion of the world.

It can be neutral but it's not positive. Racking up "multiple time" accoldades requires losing a belt which requires either losing or ditching the belt which is even worse. It just doesn't make sense. It's like winning the championship every other or every third year it's a nice superlative if things turn out that way but no one's like "yeah we're gunning to be the champs every OTHER contest!". That's basically what that entire concept does. I was reading a book as a kid and they were talking about Floyd and Ali being the first to win the HW belt 2 and 3 times like they broke boxing's HR record and TD's or something when not being perfect. And yeah I know going undefeated isn't unrealistic for almost all of even the best but doesn't matter it's just that losing more(just the right amount) makes holding a belt more times easier to do and winning makes it harder. And my concern with the concept isn't throwing fights it's people giving up belts more.

I mean no one's arguing coming back from a problem is impressive but isn't it more impressive if said issue doesn't occur? There's a difference between not holding something against someone cause of how they bounced back and encouraging being in that situation by making it a pre requisite to a historical honor like "two time champ" or "three time champ". Problems are bad we don't want problems in life, being prepared for a crisis doesn't mean one starts hoping for it to occur.

Most fans acknowledge Jon Jones as the goat (Sherdog is a biased sample)

According to Colby, Jon has been juicing since college, and his multiple failed tests seem to corroborate with Colby's assertions.

That is a pretty shaky foundation to build a legacy on.

How does Jon's tainted legacy stand the test of time?

Jon's legacy will be mostly bad, but somewhat mixed like Lance Armstrong.

Some people still say Lance is the greatest cyclist of all time because everyone else was doing the same stuff he was. This is the same as Jon's supporters arguing that "everybody is on steroids", and thus claim Jon is still the GOAT.

However, the majority of people largely discount Lance's accomplishments and view him as a disgrace. Unless we go to a crazy future where PED use among athletes becomes more accepted than it is today, I suspect that most will view Jon's legacy as tainted.

His legacy as one of the most naturally talented guys to ever do it will endure for some years with hardcore fans and hardcore fans alone. His reputation within that community will also always be diluted due to the ped scandals. In the mainstream he will (already has in my opinon) slip into irrelevancy due to his unremarkable personality and lack of charisma. The guy's cultivated, preachy, faux-boy scout persona isn't engaging in any way, and casual viewers remember the persona, not the highlight reel.

Would we remember him as the greatest mixed martial artists of all time, or would he always have an asterisk or question mark on his record?
I think it will read something like "the best that could have been better"

even though I can't stand the guy, he's the best talent to ever walk in the ring imho. Size, length, mentality, skill set to match, strength, reach, he has it all

Nah because 5 or so years after he retires people that know things from behind the scenes will start talking, you see it all the time

Would we remember him as the greatest mixed martial artists of all time, or would he always have an asterisk or question mark on his record?

Jon's legacy will be just as good as Lance Armstrong's, or Ben Johnson. I'm suprised he hasn't tried to Nancy Kerrigan DC at HW.

from sponsored by bud light with his own nike shoe to allowed to cheat and beat up a horrible division
no one is going to remember this guy aside from what should have been

Back