Will it hurt Canelo's legacy and reputation if he doesn't dominate GGG at 40?

Bivol just laid out another blueprint. Can GGG repeat it? Its not like Gennady has to do much different as fights 1 and 2 were razor close
razor close is a stretch imo blocked/slipped jabs will never score as much as blocked/slipped power punches.

Canelo is eerily similar to DLH. In a TON of good, great, and excellent fights but has his fair share of controversy and mulled performances. Canelo will likely be a fringe legend/ATG when its all said and done.

As far as the fight, anything less than a stoppage victory demonstrates a decline. GGG is locked in here too and his boxing is criminally underrated but he's never had good defense and everything about him looked bad against Murata. He was slower, less reactive, his body seemed more responsive to punches, and his power even looked a little less. Oh and GGG is moving up in weight and fricking 40 years old...

If Canelo can't absolutely wipe GGG I'd be hesitant to sign him to a long-term promotional contract.
canelo is already an ATG, the dude is as dominant from 154-168 as damn near any fighter ever. didnt stay in one weight class for a long time like hagler or hopkins, but dude has been super dominant.

Since I saw Canelo lose twice to GGG, it would be nice for either guy to make a point, either canelo finally beating GGG or GGG get his redemption win. The thing is if GGG wins this fight convincingly then he will automatically have won all 3 in the minds of the majority.

but he is 40 and way slower, if canelo doesn’t dominate it’ll be a mess, even worse if he wins a split decision

Since I saw Canelo lose twice to GGG, it would be nice for either guy to make a point, either canelo finally beating GGG or GGG get his redemption win. The thing is if GGG wins this fight convincingly then he will automatically have won all 3 in the minds of the majority.

but he is 40 and way slower, if canelo doesn’t dominate it’ll be a mess, even worse if he wins a split decision

It’s a shame the first fight didn’t go to GGG - this would now be a classic rubber match.

Lol his legacy wasn’t hurt when this corrupt ass sport stole 2 wins from GGG

canelo is already an ATG, the dude is as dominant from 154-168 as damn near any fighter ever. didnt stay in one weight class for a long time like hagler or hopkins, but dude has been super dominant.

Gotta be objective though. Although I felt Canelo and GGG split it could just as easily be 0-0-2 or even 0-2-0 for GGG. A case can be made Canelo lost to Lara a f Trout also. He did become undisputed at 168 but it wasnt exactly a division of killers tbh. The Bivol loss showed that Canelo hasnt come as far as it seemed since losing to Floyd.

I'm a Canelo fan but he's a fringe ATG if at all at this point. He can definitely get there though and a big win tonight would go long way

Gotta be objective though. Although I felt Canelo and GGG split it could just as easily be 0-0-2 or even 0-2-0 for GGG. A case can be made Canelo lost to Lara a f Trout also. He did become undisputed at 168 but it wasnt exactly a division of killers tbh. The Bivol loss showed that Canelo hasnt come as far as it seemed since losing to Floyd.

I'm a Canelo fan but he's a fringe ATG if at all at this point. He can definitely get there though and a big win tonight would go long way
you can say a multitude of fights from ATG’s could have been scored against them. they weren’t though. being able to convince the judges you’re the better man is a skill. theres really only been maybe 20 or so blatant robberies in the modern era. most fights are just close.

i personally favored canelo’s power punches to golovkin’s lighter straight punches and it totally makes sense that the judges did too.

canelo is the only loss on many quality fighters’ records, especially at 168 where he was undisputed. you have to be going out of your way to not call him an ATG. im not saying hes top 10 or anything but to dominate from 154-168 the way he did, he’s a first-ballot hall of famer man.

But he has never been dominant or even the best in a single division he has fought in. He is not even at DLH level if you remove the fan boy glasses, and we have not even seen the downside part of his career yet.

How was he dominant? He never clearly beat GGG at 160, and has never fought the best fighter at 168. Its all smoke and mirrors by beating paper champs. Plus he has been dominated twice in his prime.

Last edited:
you can say a multitude of fights from ATG’s could have been scored against them. they weren’t though. being able to convince the judges you’re the better man is a skill. theres really only been maybe 20 or so blatant robberies in the modern era. most fights are just close.

There was nothing skillful about Adelaide Byrds scorecard in GGG1. That was corruption and bribery, outright.

i personally favored canelo’s power punches to golovkin’s lighter straight punches and it totally makes sense that the judges did too.

Listen 5/6 judges had it 6-6 or 7-5 either way in 24 rounds. That was the correct scoring - very competitive fights.

canelo is the only loss on many quality fighters’ records, especially at 168 where he was undisputed. you have to be going out of your way to not call him an ATG. im not saying hes top 10 or anything but to dominate from 154-168 the way he did, he’s a first-ballot hall of famer man.

I def agree he's 1st ballot HOF but I'm more conservative when handing out ATG status to fighters. Not everyone can be an ATG just because they were popular or had a few good wins. Convincingly beating GGG (as in stoppage or wide US with KD) and then coming back to beat Bivol in a rematch at 175 would go miles even if Canelo would get KTFO afterward by Beter (he wouldnt).

He's close but he needs to separate himself a bit more for me but 100% HOF. ATG is a special status though

Struggling to beat a 40 year old middle weight? It should hurt his legacy but the fan boys will always find excuses. He needs to put a beating on GGG and win decisively.
Literally no one has beaten Golovkin "convincingly" and there's no real reason to expect anything but a competitive fight tonight. You know he's not blowing out Golovkin, and that exactly why you posted what you did.

Literally no one has beaten Golovkin "convincingly" and there's no real reason to expect anything but a competitive fight tonight. You know he's not blowing out Golovkin, and that exactly why you posted what you did.

The point is an ATG should have beaten a 35/36 year old GGG convincingly, especially a 40 year old tonight. GGG had a war against Derevyanchenko 3 years ago, and barely beat Jacobs 5 years ago. He is no longer elite level. If Canelo really was ATG you would not need to be making excuses for him tonight. You are just saying that so if he wins by stoppage you will crap on about how amazing he is and pump him up again like you did last time.

The point is an ATG should have beaten a 35/36 year old GGG convincingly, especially a 40 year old tonight. GGG had a war against Derevyanchenko 3 years ago, and barely beat Jacobs 5 years ago. He is no longer elite level. If Canelo really was ATG you would not need to be making excuses for him tonight. You are just saying that so if he wins by stoppage you will crap on about how amazing he is and pump him up again like you did last time.
No one is making any excuse. I've predicted another competitive fight since this was announced.

I saw him openly hurt to the body in recent fights. Badly in the one. I don't like his chances tonight with that. Father Time and body work.

There was nothing skillful about Adelaide Byrds scorecard in GGG1. That was corruption and bribery, outright.

Listen 5/6 judges had it 6-6 or 7-5 either way in 24 rounds. That was the correct scoring - very competitive fights.

I def agree he's 1st ballot HOF but I'm more conservative when handing out ATG status to fighters. Not everyone can be an ATG just because they were popular or had a few good wins. Convincingly beating GGG (as in stoppage or wide US with KD) and then coming back to beat Bivol in a rematch at 175 would go miles even if Canelo would get KTFO afterward by Beter (he wouldnt).

He's close but he needs to separate himself a bit more for me but 100% HOF. ATG is a special status though
how is a first ballot hall of famer not an all time great though?

I saw him openly hurt to the body in recent fights. Badly in the one. I don't like his chances tonight with that. Father Time and body work.
How'd Canelo look in his last fight?

Ggg looked old and slow with no power. Kept his head straight up blocking shots with his face.

Back