Will it hurt Canelo's legacy and reputation if he doesn't dominate GGG at 40?

ATG means youre the best of the HOF not just the most popular...guys like Gatti are HOF
gatti is an outlier but sure. i actually see it the other way around. i think there are ATG’s not in the HOF (and non-ATG’s in the HOF of course) with HOF’er being the ultimate title

I think Canelo was always a bit overrated. What are his legacy defining wins? The second win vs GGG probably. That was a close fight vs an aging GGG, and it should have been 1-1 at that point.

Besides vs GGG, the two other times Canelo has fought top guys he's been routed (Vs Mayweather and Bivol).

I'm not saying he's garbage or not one of the best of this pretty weak era, but I don't think he's an ATG.

I think Canelo was always a bit overrated. What are his legacy defining wins? The second win vs GGG probably. That was a close fight vs an aging GGG, and it should have been 1-1 at that point.

Canelo's strategy I've assumed was to take his super welterweight speed and take it up to 168 where he could clown slower champs. A plan that worked but it was cherry picked all the way. He didn't knock out Jacobs and only got by 116-112 which is in-line with GGG's victory and while the scores were close for Jacobs-Rosado and Jacobs-Ryder, Rosado and Ryder looked better at times than what Canelo did. Canelo is a level above the guys he fights aside from Bivol and Mayweather but he's not 2 or 3 levels above his opponents like Bud Crawford or Inoue.

GGG you could argue is on the same level as Canelo.

Odd take on who are the top guys Canelo fought. The only reason Bivol is considered 'top' is because he beat Canelo. Had any of Plant, Suanders or Smith beat Canelo instead all these comments would be replacing Bivol with thier name.

Odd take on who are the top guys Canelo fought. The only reason Bivol is considered 'top' is because he beat Canelo. Had any of Plant, Suanders or Smith beat Canelo instead all these comments would be replacing Bivol with thier name.

Ya IDK that Bivol is a top guy. He's just larger, longer, and a competent LHW.

It's confusing that you're using quote marks for "top" when no one's used that word to refer to Bivol that I can see. The only post in the entire thread which yours seems to be a reply to is the one directly above yours which you didn't quote, but you say "all these comments" -- every other comment mentioning Bivol so far was just talking about the potential rematch.

Ya IDK that Bivol is a top guy. He's just larger, longer, and a competent LHW.
Bivol's been ranked as usually the best or second best guy in his division for about 4 years, how's that not a top guy? If you're saying that you don't think Bivol is a p4p talent head and shoulders above others then that's different, though he's still better than most of Canelo's resume obviously, regardless of weight difference.

Bivol's been ranked as usually the best or second best guy in his division for about 4 years, how's that not a top guy? If you're saying that you don't think Bivol is a p4p talent head and shoulders above others then that's different, though he's still better than most of Canelo's resume obviously, regardless of weight difference.
Bivol is (or was) the least hit fighter in the sport statistically per the punch stats. I haven't checked them lately but I guarantee he's still in the Top 3 defensively. Like Beterbiev his resume is thin but he passes the eye test with flying colors and he just handily beat the P4P king a few months ago. He's never lost or been down, either. Bivol and Beterbiev are clearly the Top 2 guys at light heavyweight. That isn't even up for debate.

All the Canelo haters are forgetting 2 key things or have not been around boxing long enough to understand these points.

-Roy Jones was bigger than Canelo and an all time great. Look at what going up too far in weight did to his speed and career.

-GGG probably has one of the greatest chins and is one of the most durable fighters of all time. He is a freak of nature. Its not like he is some defensive wizard. He is as tough as they come even at 40. He is just built different.

It's confusing that you're using quote marks for "top" when no one's used that word to refer to Bivol that I can see. The only post in the entire thread which yours seems to be a reply to is the one directly above yours which you didn't quote, but you say "all these comments" -- every other comment mentioning Bivol so far was just talking about the potential rematch.

I actually was replying directly but decided to unquote half way through typing to make a broader analysis, as I recalled people here claiming Bivol was a cherry pick and that he was ducking Berterviev etc before thier fight. Had Canelo won thier narrative now would be completely different to suit thier agenda.

GGG probably has one of the greatest chins and is one of the most durable fighters of all time. He is a freak of nature. Its not like he is some defensive wizard. He is as tough as they come even at 40. He is just built different.
He also has great fundamentals, he's very technically sound as his amateur record proves, he is not just a brute with power.
He doesn't have a flashy style, but he's able to dodge most of the punches, and with his jab constantly pressing, its not easy to land a clean power shot to the head.

He also has great fundamentals, he's very technically sound as his amateur record proves, he is not just a brute with power.
He doesn't have a flashy style, but he's able to dodge most of the punches, and with his jab constantly pressing, its not easy to land a clean power shot to the head.
That may be true for the majority of his career. Now its different.
Last night Canelo landed a lot. GGG didn't use his jab effectively
They actually were in preliminary talks before Bivol got the Canelo fight. Network and promotional politics have made it difficult to be made but we should get that undisputed fight sometime next year.
The Canelo fight will actually help sell and promote it.
Arguably one of the best fights in boxing that most people would have no clue about. At least Canelo getting beat down can help shine the light on how good Bivol is. Also, Biev by default since he will probably be favored.
Hopefully the Canelo Bivol match is an easy formality and doesn't muck up a fight that needs to happen. Guess Zurdo can muck things up too.

Canelo is literally cock blocking like 3 divisions right now. However, its in the name of being great so somewhat acceptable.

For me this fight didn't do much if anything for Canelo's legacy, and if this was supposed to be a showcase to prove that Canelo was the p4p #1 again, then it was a flop in that regard too

The Canelo fight will actually help sell and promote it.
Arguably one of the best fights in boxing that most people would have no clue about. At least Canelo getting beat down can help shine the light on how good Bivol is. Also, Biev by default since he will probably be favored.
Hopefully the Canelo Bivol match is an easy formality and doesn't muck up a fight that needs to happen. Guess Zurdo can muck things up too.

Canelo is literally cock blocking like 3 divisions right now. However, its in the name of being great so somewhat acceptable.
All true. Yeah Bivol vs Beterbiev needs to happen. However, as you pointed out, that fight will depend on both winning at least another fight or two in the interim. If they come through that then hopefully by the end of next year we'll get that fight.

Bivol has been 2nd best behind Beterbiev since, well, forever.

I dont know if Bivol is PFP talent. Have to see him against other top competition that arent significantly smaller. He's got a decent resume but far from the best in boxing. In fact his resume probably isnt even Top 10...hence the fringe PFP placement

GGG fights the way he usually does. All this age talk is hear say.

So when is Canelo fighting Triple H anyway?

That may be true for the majority of his career. Now its different.
It is, he's old, reflexes and response time are not the same as before.

Last night Canelo landed a lot. GGG didn't use his jab effectively
See the above ;)
Nevertheless, GGG was never bothered by the shots, and even his face was clean after the fight.
He was also able to have some great moments after Canelo started to fade.

All things considered, it was a good competitive third fight, Canelo won fair and square, but rounds were close, and GGG leaves a great image of himself, being 40 and bringing the action to the much younger champion in the later rounds!

Back