will i gain weight with this westside program?

toufeksian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well ive some doubts in mind, first of all is the point that i want to get big , but also i want to gain strenght and mantain my actual strenght (i think i have relative good strenght now acording to my 150 lb)

i was thinking that i could do something like 1 or 2 months of a net hypertophy program like hst to build up some muscle , and then switch for another 1 or 2 months to a westside program for strenght.

but i really dont know if just a westside program would be best , because if im just doing hypertrophy form 1 or 2 months , in that time , my strenght will dimish right?

on the other hand , i look at this westside program and maybe it help me to get strenght and also build muscle.

what do u think that would be the best for my pourposes?

here is the program , its pretty classic i think

Monday: Max effort squat and deadlift

Wednesday: Max effort bench press
bench progresive overload to 1rep max
jm press 6x12 (high volume)
bent over rows 5x10
lateral raises 5x10

Friday: Dynamic squat and deadlift

Sunday: dynamic Bench press
bench 8x3 (50%)
tricep extensions 3x6 (high intensity)
pull ups 3x3
military press 3x10

How about a little more detail on your Monday and Friday. Are you actually going to squat and deadlift on the same day? You realize that a lot of "Westsiders" don't do that much actual deadlift training, right?

Also, have you checked out Joe DeFranco's "Westside for Skinny Bastards" article? I know that a lot of people (including myself) have had some good results with it. It seems right up the alley for someone like yourself...a little thin and needing to pack on muscle and strength.

actually i dont put any other detail of the other days because ive some injuries and right now im most concerned about the upper body excercises

Also, don't forget that a lot of "westside" folks fill their off days with "extra" workouts. Primarily GPP, sled dragging, kettlebells, etc. They also do the Repetition Method of weightlifting on these off days as a recuperative method, but the hypertrophy benefits of such lifting are obvious (assuming the rest and calories are there).

In the end, I think you'll benefit from a Westside template, but you have to keep in mind that there's a little bit more to it than Max Effort/Dynamic Effort. I think DeFranco's program may be good since you're throwing out the dynamic and concentrating on max and repetition.

why you think that throwing out the dynamic days is good? this is not my first routine at all , ive about one year of weightlifting.

and other thing , in the article of defrancos westside for skinny bastards, on the repetition day of upper body it says

A. REPETITION LIFT

Apparently a lot of people have injuries that prevent them from training for real. I don't see much of them having shoulder injuries and consequently training only squat and deadlift though. I guess shoulders are just seldom injured.

I don't see the point of going Westside without serious training on the dead and squat.

At least do comparable volume of bench and row if nothing else.

Holy shit im doing the first westide program for skinny bastards.

idk my bench is going up alot on it. I dont do the max efford on legs cause my back will like... die. but idk if seen good shitso far from it.

I think you should throw out the dynamic because you're basically saying that you're wanting to get bigger and stronger. Alternating max effort and repetition work will certainly move you in that direction.

On the repetition lift you mention...personally I would choose the weight that I could get 10 to 20 reps on before failure. But, that's just me.

what do u think about adding a max effort excercice for pull up? i think strenght in pull up is also very important as in bench

Back