Will Elder Scrolls 6 Ever Come Out?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Skyrim came out like 6 years ago. Yes, we know. It was an amazing game. Bethesda has done everything they can to milk the shit out of the title coming out with remastered versions, new versions for VR and Nintendo Switch, etc. But holy shit. Are we ever going to get an Elder Scrolls 6?

Is it a matter of people still willing to shell out cash for an old product? Maybe they're thinking, why make a new one when we're still making money on Skyrim?

As far as I've heard after doing a deep dive, development hasn't even been discussed for a new Elder Scrolls game. Pretty ridiculous. Skyrim is probably in my top 3-5 games ever and I've been waiting for the 6th installment for quite some time. Starting to wonder if it'll ever come or if Bethesda has grown bored of the series.

Anyone have any info? Do you think we'll never get it? Or will it be a surprise announcement that no one expects?

Bethesda usually has near a half decade between games in the same series don't they?

Going back to just Morrowind:
Morrowind released 2002
Oblivion began development in 2002 right after Morrowind's release. It came out in 2006
Skyrim REVEALED in 2010, released initially in 2011.

Fallout 3 released in 2008
New Vegas announced in 2009 (developed by Obsidian). Released 2010
Fallout 4 released in 2015.

We're only 2 years removed (about, since it was a November release) from the release of Fallout 4.

If you look at that I would suspect we MIGHT get an announcement about a new Elder Scrolls NEXT E3 (2019). Bethesda seems to like to keep spaces between their projects. Bethesda essentially has three franchises in TES, Fallout, and the new Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein II just released recently didn't it?

iirc they're supposed to be working on a sci fi RPG, not the next TES.

The next Elder Scrolls game will be the biggest game release ever, in the west if not the world.. A cultural event. I suspect they looked at the lukewarm response to FO4 and decided to take their time. Hoping for a brand new engine not merely an updated one. iirc they changed writer for the DLC as well.

Wouldn't be suprised if they wait another three or four years to get the hype up to Half-Life 3 levels.

Then, gamers will be so relieved they're actually making it, it'll be forgiven they're loading the game with microtransactions (paying for mods), required internet connection, and whatever else.

I'm sure if they weren't doing another one they'd say so. I'm sure we'll hear something this year at E3

I think I'm over Bethesda.

After The Witcher 3, consequences will never be the same.

I don't mind the wait honestly.

GOAT series but they need to step it up and add some new stuff to the game. New engine would be a great start and like @RTL said... some TRUE consequences would be nice.

I remember an interview with Todd where he said that they are waiting for technology to advance. He said he already has the game planned out but the technology is not ready yet.

Last I read this, and other big SP game series as well, get bigger gaps because their online versions generate so much revenue they'd rather update those than start a new SP project. Basically blame the ones who still play TES online on a regular basis.

From what I've read Todd Howard has said they are working on two stand alone titles as they don't want to be known as the company who just makes TES and Fallout.

I've read it will likely be 2022 until we see a new TES. Sucks, I know, but here's to hoping it's all a big smokescreen as I'm dying for new TES content.

From what I've read Todd Howard has said they are working on two stand alone titles as they don't want to be known as the company who just makes TES and Fallout.

I've read it will likely be 2022 until we see a new TES. Sucks, I know, but here's to hoping it's all a big smokescreen as I'm dying for new TES content.
I think it'll end up being the Fallout 4 effect, where it was extremely anticipated after 3 and New Vegas, and then when it came out, it apparently didn't live up to the hype.

I just gotta say that after a game like Witcher 3 came along and set the bar almost impossibly high, Bethesda's got A LOT of work to do. Time to get rid of the fetch quests and cave-clearing for some actual riveting gameplay.

I think it'll end up being the Fallout 4 effect, where it was extremely anticipated after 3 and New Vegas, and then when it came out, it apparently didn't live up to the hype.

I just gotta say that after a game like Witcher 3 came along and set the bar almost impossibly high, Bethesda's got A LOT of work to do. Time to get rid of the fetch quests and cave-clearing for some actual riveting gameplay.

I’ll always buy into tes because I love the lore, but I agree about TW3.

Would be very surprised if Skyrim was the last one.

It's been a long time coming already I'll be there day one invested many hours into skyrim own 3 copies 1 on ps3 1 on Xbox 360 and again on ps4.

I feel like it's going to be a disappointment, similar to Fallout 4. They need to have engaging characters and storyline. It's not enough to just have a sandbox world.

Last I read this, and other big SP game series as well, get bigger gaps because their online versions generate so much revenue they'd rather update those than start a new SP project. Basically blame the ones who still play TES online on a regular basis.
I played ESO when it first came out and it was trash. If they have a big player base it must have improved dramatically since then.

Probably 6ish years after the release of Fallout 4 if we go by their typical in-house release schedule. Probably 2022 at the earliest.

Id really love for these guys to develop an entirely new engine. I mean, FO4 is a modified Skyrim creation engine, which was just a modified Oblivion engine. Its pretty crazy but theyre working with h a system whose bones are like 12+ years old.

Back