Wilder breaks hand per Malik Scott

I have old horsehair gloves at home. its a family heirloom. Crazy how it compresses when hitting something compared to a foamcore glove. Can definitely picture that to be a "punchers" glove but you really need to have very well conditioned hands to not break anything. Wouldnt surprise me if Wilder, unused to these gloves injured himself. But at the same moment Malik can never be taken serious. He will tell all kinds of nonsense if it helps team wilder.
I never liked the gloves they have today, everything changes though. What they might call a medicine ball today looks more like a basketball. The velcro they have on some stuff is nice while the overall quality is worse.

Never heard the build up arm excuse but I just don't see it. I see the same reflex wrist grab and the same hands get lower as he gets beat in both fights. No difference. He continues to throw & land big (ish) rights but everything else around them dissappears as hr gts hurt.

The ear drum I am referring to is fight 2 - which I believe they also denied, ven though it's clear as day.

I don't think you specifically target a guys ear- it's a weird target but maybe I am wrong. Seems you'd get a KO from a temple or chin or bust his breathing from a nose just as easy. But what do I know.

If anyone is sharp enough to see where that blood is coming from & understand the implications for changing your strategy- ear is bad= equalibrium is bad= keep em going backwards then it's Tyson.
Here is the thing about the arm before the second fight. It may be BS, but it was out there:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16376480/deontay-wilder-tyson-fury-injury-haye/

And yep, I know what you are referring to in the second fight Wilder said it was just a cut on his ear but it was rumored the ear drum popped. In the broadcast that I watched they mentioned in the fight how Tyson kept on targeting the same ear, and after the KO in the 11th his ear was bleeding again. Not sure how he could get "cut' with gloves on inside his ear. Wilder probably is doing damage control to protect his ego and not reveal how badly Tyson really busted him up.

And as a side note: did Wilder look mad nervous at the beginning of the fight to anyone else? I wonder if he was so late coming out because he knew he was walking toward his death. So weird how much his mojo and swagger changed from 1-3. Reminds me of Ronda.

Wilder has broken his hand a heap of times and had surgery on it ( as well as torn his bicep). Made no difference to outcome of this fight thou imo.

saw that, i think he mentioned a "broken knuckle" whatever that meant. Also, i heard they used horsehair gloves, I haven't heard about those being used since the 80's or 90's.
Some fighters still use horse hair gloves

Some fighters still use horse hair gloves
all horsehair? I never see them anymore, I haven't seen them since I was 16. If I went to some boxing gyms I might but the mma'rs never had them for sure, even though they had an assortment of gloves.

It was a non-issue in both fights but it's true what Wilders man was trying to get at, in the 80's you could see Tyson trying to shuffle the horsehair around just a bit before fights, I don't think it was underhanded just sort of breaking them in. And in the 70's ali could use his jab like a whip, i often wondered what his opinion would be on the new gloves because that would not be possible to do.

tommy busted his hand against benitez and went on like it was normal. Tommy was a bad man.
To be fair Benitez wasn't quite as imposing a figure compared to Fury and the pressure he was putting on Wilder.

Thing is, why would Malik lie? It makes him look awful as it, as he is Deontay's coach and they chose to wear the MX horse hairs at the last moment vs the much more protective Powerlocks that Wilder always wore. That is just mind blowing bad call making. Malik should have steered Deontay away, explained that owing to his power going to a new glove could hurt his hand and to not let Tyson cause Wilder to put himself at risk.

Remember how there was an 'issue with the gloves' before Wilder walked out and there was a delay too? People said it was 'just mental warfare', but there may have been something more to it than we previously thought. Delusional Deontay probably did not realize how different the gloves were and was crapping hi pants <45>
He might lie, or Deontay might have lied to him, as an excuse for the performance down the stretch. I do think his hand was surgically repaired though and when you punch like him hand injuries are to be expected.

Scott had some choice words for Tim Witherspoon. Was that account a ruse?
Considering I can get a video message from Rudy Giuliani greeting you Sherbros I don't think anything is proven. It shouldn't take long to figure it out though.

Maybe he doesn't drop fury and come a few counts away from winning again if he doesn't use puncher's gloves .
Fighters know the trade offs with using those kind of gloves, which is exactly why Wilder switched away from them in the 1st place.
I think it was him truly going for broke.

He might lie, or Deontay might have lied to him, as an excuse for the performance down the stretch. I do think his hand was surgically repaired though and when you punch like him hand injuries are to be expected.
Do we know what round the hand injury came in?

For all Wilder's '250% power increase" and the sharp pad work, as soon as he got hit and tired, he reverted back to his old windmill ways. On top of the power he throws with, he is incredibly sloppy - like novice street fight level sloppy - and ends up hitting with parts of his hand the hand is not anatomically designed to be hit with.

To me, the 3 big biggest knee jerk reactions that hurt him were:

1. not taking a few warm up fights to try new things with Malik, whilst also taking 8 million to it out the immediate rematch clause
2. Putting on even MORE weight than the first fight - he blamed the suit, but not the obvious weight gain? Your heart does not have to oxygenate the suit during the whole fight, but it does have to oxygenate all that extra muscle.
3. Switching gloves knowing the horse hair caused him issues before.

Last edited:
Maybe he doesn't drop fury and come a few counts away from winning again if he doesn't use puncher's gloves .
Fighters know the trade offs with using those kind of gloves, which is exactly why Wilder switched away from them in the 1st place.
I think it was him truly going for broke.
Instead he ended up catching a break

david-caruso-glasses-on.gif

To be fair Benitez wasn't quite as imposing a figure compared to Fury and the pressure he was putting on Wilder.
Wasnt comparing so much but just mentioning. Hearns was a tough man to endure like that. He was still throwing it against hagler after he broke it too.

Wasnt comparing so much but just mentioning. Hearns was a tough man to endure like that. He was still throwing it against hagler after he broke it too.
Hearns is a good example of what Wilder could have become, under different circumstances, with his physical gifts.

Hearns is a good example of what Wilder could have become, under different circumstances, with his physical gifts.

I don't think Wilder ever had that level of physical ability.

Hearns had literally everything, good reflexes, blazing handspeed, enormous power, and he was incredibly coordinated and compact with everything. Wilder has power, and decent speed I suppose, but I don't think he's that coordinated or athletic overall. Always came off as a bit awkward to me. A little slow to react to things and a little bit lost on what to do.

Hearns was like the grim reaper in that ring. He could come in and out, throw a combination to the body and head before the other guy could really even react to what was going on. You had to have top-level reflexes and durability to even be able to contend with him in the 147-154 lb weight classes. Which in those days was basically just Benitez and Ray Leonard. Honestly not sure if he was beatable in the 154 lb weight class, even by Leonard, because his endurance wasn't affected by the weight-cut.

He wouldn't have even needed the right hand to be a great fighter:

Last edited:
I don't think Wilder ever had that level of physical ability.

Hearns had literally everything, good reflexes, blazing handspeed, enormous power, and he was incredibly coordinated and compact with everything. Wilder has power, and decent speed I suppose, but I don't think he's that coordinated or athletic overall. Always came off as a bit awkward to me. A little slow to react to things and a little bit lost on what to do.

Hearns was like the grim reaper in that ring. He could come in and out, throw a combination to the body and head before the other guy could really even react to what was going on. You had to have top-level reflexes and durability to even be able to contend with him in the 147-154 lb weight classes. Which in those days was basically just Benitez and Ray Leonard. Honestly not sure if he was beatable in the 154 lb weight class.

Honestly he wouldn't have even needed the right hand to be a great fighter:

It's more for the other thread but it really illustrates why Wilder doesn't rank highly as an ATG. Maybe if he had started young he would have the type of accomplishments Hearns does. Except for his size I'd compare him more to Tommy Burns who had a haymarker right hand in his era but a limited skillset.

It's more for the other thread but it really illustrates why Wilder doesn't rank highly as an ATG. Maybe if he had started young he would have the type of accomplishments Hearns does. Except for his size I'd compare him more to Tommy Burns who had a haymarker right hand in his era but a limited skillset.

For me, I compare him to Cleveland Williams. Great knockout record, very impressive looking fighter physically, enormous power obviously, but when he went against the best, he just couldn't get the better of him. When you dig deeper into their records you realize that there's unfortunately not a whole lot of depth there, apart from those losing fights against the top fighter of their era, so it's hard to rate them anywhere close to being an all-time great.

Maybe if that guy didn't exist, in Wilder's case Fury, in Williams's case Sonny Liston, he would have been. But it just wasn't meant to be for either guy. Wilder also never got that fight against Joshua, just like Williams never got the fight against Floyd Patterson, which may have been career-defining. In Wilder's case he was probably more responsible for that than Williams who was blatantly ducked.

For me, I compare him to Cleveland Williams. Great knockout record, very impressive looking fighter physically, enormous power obviously, but when he went against the best, he just couldn't get the better of him. When you dig deeper into their records you realize that there's unfortunately not a whole lot of depth there, apart from those losing fights against the top fighter of their era, so it's hard to rate them anywhere close to being an all-time great.

Maybe if that guy didn't exist, in Wilder's case Fury, in Williams's case Sonny Liston, he would have been. But it just wasn't meant to be for either guy. Wilder also never got that fight against Joshua, just like Williams never got the fight against Floyd Patterson, which may have been career-defining. In Wilder's case he was probably more responsible for that than Williams who was blatantly ducked.
Wilder did become champ but in this day and age of fractured titles Williams might have too.

Wilder did become champ but in this day and age of fractured titles Williams might have too.

I don't really count Wilder as a champion, certainly not when comparing him to historical fighters. Who did he beat for the belt, Bermane Stiverne? It's like if Cleveland Williams had beaten Roy Harris to become a "champion" in the 1950's-60's.

I don't really count Wilder as a champion, certainly not when comparing him to historical fighters. Who did he beat for the belt, Bermane Stiverne? It's like if Cleveland Williams had beaten Roy Harris to become a "champion" in the 1950's-60's.
Tommy Burns was sort of in the same boat having beaten Marvin Hart for the title after James Jeffries retired. He then defended against no hopers until finally facing Jack Johnson and getting outclassed. Fury didn't retire but had that long layoff that caused the title to be splintered and new champions to be recognized.

Back