Wide Diversity Gap Among Top-Grossing Films

There was a 'story' in my city a few years ago that was being brought up by mostly minorities that police cruisers were too heavily concentrated in minority (black as I recall) neighborhoods.

The Chief of Police acknowledged this and said that:

1.) The majority of crime occurred in these neighborhoods.
2.) The majority of 911 calls came from these neighborhoods.

Therefore, they increased the presence to combat the crime and be more responsive. Never heard a peep after that.

Same difference here. Except you're figuring out who your selling to and what sells the best. This isn't affirmative action it's a business.

Wait I thought Hollywood was a far left, hippie, pot smoking anti establishment crap hole.

Wait I thought Hollywood was a far left, hippie, pot smoking anti establishment crap hole.

Yea but they don't let that get in the way of making money.

Liam-Neeson-natasha-richardson-ftr1.jpg

I feel like a minority amongst minorities. I hate that Tyler Perry has basically been chosen as the representative for "black movies".

His movies are shit, but at least he creates positive characters.

The Hispanic community desperately needs a Tyler Perry.

His movies are shit, but at least he creates positive characters.

The Hispanic community desperately needs a Tyler Perry.

I don't think they need Big Juanita's House 3.

I really don't care what White America decides to cast in there films since I'm not an actor/director/producer/etc - that is not to say aspiring actors/directors/producer/etc don't [care]. In fact, I studiously hold American cinema with reverence yet hoped one day a forward thinking director would eventually give a person of Asian descent a conventional lead role - no chop-socky shit.

And I do make note of every East Asian/Middle Eastern/Non-white essentially influence in pop culture understandably just for variety's sake (but was not surprised at all 21 casted white people leads).

I digress. It's the inexplicable perpetuation of "Yellowface" implementation still in this day in age. I won't even start with Middle Eastern people - the truly marginalized in hollywood. Asian people are of no consequence in Hollywood? Fine. Leave them the alone then. Why the cringe inducing stock East Asian accent and apparel for laughs in 2015?

How about the pathetic/nearly in tears Asian guy in Fargo pining for Frances McDormand's character. Talented actress playing a great role in a great movie, but one wouldn't exactly be romantically obsessed with that character generally speaking with looks alone. But a romantically beaten down Asian constituent might.

Can you imagine a role reversal doing Whiteface* in Asian cinema? I would assume an uproar in the World's film circles.

*It's no accident that word does not exist in any lexicon because it's not a practice - at least openly - in pop culture/film medium.

Last edited:
The issue shouldn't so much the percentage at which minorities are represented, but the way they're represented.

true, i was pissed the way the portrayed them in movies like 12 years a slave and roots. total bs

I remember that time when Emma Stone plays an Asian-American in film 'Aloha':
http://www.vulture.com/2015/06/emma-stone-played-an-asian-american-in-aloha.html

She portrays Allison Ng: an aggressively peppy Air Force fighter pilot of Chinese-Hawaiian decent.

Noone, NOONE is going to to believe that doe eyed Emma Stone is even a decimal asian.

Extra bizzarre because if you look up "round eye" in the dictionary you'll see a picture of emma stone.

She was the closest person for the role since there were just no good Asian or Mixed-Asian actresses at all.

3In8dh5.jpg

I really don't care what White America decides to cast in there films since I'm not an actor/director/producer/etc - that is not to say aspiring actors/directors/producer/etc don't [care]. In fact, I studiously hold American cinema with reverence yet hoped one day a forward thinking director would eventually give a person of Asian descent a conventional lead role - no chop-socky shit.

And I do make note of every East Asian/Middle Eastern/Non-white essentially influence in pop culture understandably just for variety's sake (but was not surprised at all 21 casted white people leads).

I digress. It's the inexplicable perpetuation of "Yellowface" implementation still in this day in age. I won't even start with Middle Eastern people - the truly marginalized in hollywood. Asian people are of no consequence in Hollywood? Fine. Leave them the alone then. Why the cringe inducing stock East Asian accent and apparel for laughs in 2015?

How about the pathetic/nearly in tears Asian guy in Fargo pining for Frances McDormand's character. Talented actress playing a great role in a great movie, but one wouldn't exactly be romantically obsessed with that character generally speaking with looks alone. But a romantically beaten down Asian constituent might.

Can you imagine a role reversal doing Whiteface* in Asian cinema? I would assume an uproar in the World's film circles.

*It's no accident that word does not exist in any lexicon because it's not a practice - at least openly - in pop culture/film medium.

Harold and Kumar?

There's not whiteface per se in Asian cinema, but white people are portrayed horribly at least in Chinese cinema. Westerners are almost always either stupid violent brutes or evil manipulative politicians or businessmen who the valiant Chinese have to fight to free their society. Yeah, there's a lot of historical context around that, but let's not pretend that other countries are anywhere near as worried about their entertainment being free of racial bias.

Conducted a research on pointless demographics? Seems like folks have too much free time on their hands.

Back