Why were old boxing gyms so cheap and modern MMA gyms so expensive?

I've never been to a MMA gym, but I have been to some BJJ classes before and I couldn't believe how expensive it was, I didn't bother going back, not because I didn't like the art, I just can't afford it.. its a lot of money when you add it up over months. And it was no state of the art gym either, it was very bland and not huge.

Because MMA Gyms utilize more coaches and this "old school boxing gym" bullshit in the OP is a joke. Modern real estate is a fucking ripoff. Boxing gyms arent cheap either.
not really true. one of my martial arts gym only had the owner teaching and it was still $125 per month.

Where I trained (Glory MMA, Krause, Cummins, Reyno, Elliott, etc.), it was $100-200 per month. It is pretty expensive. But you learn a LOT.

Multiple coachs
Bjj foundations of making money (bjj has and always will be a racket)
Price of matts and equipment
Rent

To get affordable insurance, MMA gyms have to classify themselves as a karate gym or something recreational like that where hard sparring and fighting doesn't happen. If they classify themselves as "fighting gym" their insurance jumps up like 100x. So that has to be a huge, not often thought of reason why MMA gyms are the way they are. Boxing gym culture evolved before the modern lawsuit culture and everyone needs insurance culture. I have to think that most hole in the wall ghetto boxing gyms are 1 ambulance chaser away from closing down and converting to the 1/3 pro team 2/3 cardio class model.

If the boxing gyms are 1/3 pro in your words, wouldn't their insurance still be sky high or are they doing it quietly on the side?

A sad consequence of this is that old boxing gyms use to provide a place to go for kids who had nothing and were probably headed for trouble, and now at 200 a month probably not so much.
Gyms have youth classes to add profitability. And they are less expensive where I used to go.. it cost me $30 a week 3 classes. And they have 3 trial classes for $20. Pretty inexpensive. Right now I pay $30 a week to go to a regular gym just for the equipment.
2581CD64-98F9-4151-A2DC-8DC91C8A184B.jpeg

Last edited:
A lot of boxing gyms are in poor communities, recreation centers and/or part of police programs. And most coaches who don't have an elite prospect or pro are volunteers or barely get paid.

Low property cost combined with minimal coaching fees = a cheap place to train.

Considering the my boxing experience at a rec center gym was mostly positive, I actually recommend to almost anybody who wants to train. Only downside (for some people) is the hard sparring that occurs since these gyms are mostly centered around an amateur boxing team

Gyms have youth classes to add profitability. And they are less expensive where I used to go.. it cost me $30 a week 3 classes. And they have 3 trial classes for $20. Pretty inexpensive. Right now I pay $30 a week to go to a regular gym just for the equipment.
View attachment 709639
Lol at that being cheap, maybe for your area.

In the Netherlands I pay 35 (euros) for my (kick)boxing gym, a fitness gym with all the equipment you’d ever need is 17 euros per month. BJJ is like 40-50 euros a month.

Cuz MMA is for rich kids who think Brock Lesnar is a real fighter.

Jk

BJJ has always been a privileged thing. Poor kids in Brazil don't typically do BJJ, it's for the rich kids. That holds true in the US as well, unless you want a contract for $200+/month, you're not doing BJJ in most major cities.

Boxing has always been a poor man's sport. The vast majority of good fighters in boxing come from the ghetto. Fighters who come from money and "good families" are extremely rare in boxing. In MMA it's pretty common to see rich kids fighting on TV and for belts.

There’s many factors for that

mma is not just one discipline but bunch of them. In a mma gym you’re most likely gonna have a boxing, Muay Thai, kick boxing, wrestling n bjj coaches

in boxing gym you really only need a boxing coach

Which brings me to the 2nd point,

bjj is usually what hikes up the price. Bjj academies by themselves cost a fortune compared to other martial arts like karate, tkd, judo...

In a way bjj/mma is still riding on the success of the early ufc as the “best base” for fighting n is not considered like a real sport. It’s not in the olympics n it’s not nerfed down n kid friendly like other ma.

It’s still more of a hipster thing similar to CrossFit where ppl are willing to pay a fortune just for bragging rights.

Boxing is still more ‘working class’ than mma, in the UK at least.

There’s definitely a different vibe between legit boxing gyms and MMA gyms in my experience. MMA gyms are friendly, open environments where most of the better fighters have long since ditched their ego. Boxing gyms are just all round rougher places to be. There’s a lot of machismo, the coaches don’t give a fuck about you unless you’re there to fight, and the sparring is effectively a fight with larger gloves.

Many years ago, when I was doing boxing everyday, I went to the same gym for several years. Its was a humble place: one old ring, a couple of bags and a couple of punchingballs. We were doctors, one lawyer, a journalist, a butcher, several kids from university, a taxi driver, with a former pro as a coach, another coach, a very very closed group. We would punch each other every day but we would go to war to protect each other, they are still my friends to this day. Then one day I went to a wrestling gym. Two coaches, a nice group. When I went to a jiu jitsu gym, I despised the environment: a lot of pills being negotiated near the showers, assholes with experience humiliating (sometimes even hurting) the new ones, but it was a small operation: one chief coach and two or three instructores, and not much else.
Last year I visited a gym: fitness instructors, boxing coach and instructors, jiujtsu coach and instructors, wrestling coach, one karate coach, a permanent nurse on site, all sort of machinery, weights, stationary bikes, supplements sold on the side through an endorsement contract, with special clinics on weekends for special sills (TDD, kicks, etc). All bullshit.
Of course a new mma gym will be much more expensive...

Is that a cause though, or a consequence? You may ask why boxing gyms did not develop the same way, to be full time, etc.

Someone here said 'white collar' lol, well, the best way to get a suit into a combat gym is introduce them to jiu jitsu, the gentle art lol, the one where you can roll and not get punched in the face, you know, pretend fighting ;), its difficult to get people to commit to a boxing gym, the training is very hard, and wrestling is even worse, but jiu jitsu, at any age, from any background, its easy to get started from there imo, most MMA gyms have a majority of their classes geared towards jiu jitsu, gi or no gi, with wrestling being two or three times a week,....not the other way around, which it should be if you really wanted to get into awesome shape, but if you ran an MMA school with mostly wrestling classes, white collars would cry and wouldn't show up lol.

Where I trained (Glory MMA, Krause, Cummins, Reyno, Elliott, etc.), it was $100-200 per month. It is pretty expensive. But you learn a LOT.

Well there you go, you have to spend money to get somewhere, what a bizarre concept lol. Not everyone has a Dad that is a Roy Jones or a Floyd Mayweather Senior, where their children are taught how to fight from babies, you just have to go to a gym, you have to start somewhere, which usually costs money lol, who would of thought.
And as someone mentioned here, its a sacrifice, if you really want it, those trips to Europe have to be cancelled lol, put your money where you really want it to go,...training is an investment just like anything else, its not going to be for free.

Why were old boxing gyms so cheap and modern MMA gyms so expensive?

Simply a lot more things to train in mma than just footwork & hand speed in boxing...

i first started training in a gym with mats on the floor, and maybe some heavy bags (don't remember if they did). and still paid i think $120 a month. just for muay thai. bjj + muay thai was well over $200. it was a hole in the wall gym. so, it's not because the equipment and real estate is so expensive. the boxing gym i went to was community funded. dirt cheap.

Back