Why were old boxing gyms so cheap and modern MMA gyms so expensive?

Another thread got me thinking about this question. Seems kind of a stinky situation. You want at least one sport where the entrance price is how much blood and guts you have, not how much money.

I could be wrong but most fighters in either sport start off in shitty YMCA type gyms and work their way up. Sometimes you get guys who really connect with their trainer and stay with them (longer than they should in most cases)

i think there are several ways to answer this:
  • $150-200/month (what most mma gyms cost) isn’t expensive when you take into account you can literally spend 2-3 hours each night there, 6 days a week. There are plenty of hobbies that cost much more.
  • MMA gyms are usually full time, well equipped facilities and have class on every morning, lunch and night. Most boxing gyms are only open at night. Judo coaches may hire a sports hall and only run classes twice a week. There is often a noticeable difference in available gear/equipment when you compare mma gyms vs other places.
  • coaches in MMA gyms get paid - often on a full time basis. Most boxing and judo coaches do it on a volunteer basis or for minimal hourly pay.

Agreed. I paid 100/month for 3 No-Gi classes a week. Very reasonable. Eventually I paid an extra 50 a month and they let me hit the back end and front end of the boxing/stand-up classes that bookended my grappling class. That's 150 a month for 3 grappling classes and 3 stand-up classes a week.

Then the kids came. Man I miss being in that kind of shape and having that kind of time.

The thing that irritates me is not only the fees but also they're so watered down and terrible. Their intensity is not in the same level as competitive boxing/kickboxing gyms and they won't let you spar (pure grappling disciplines is the exception) because their sparring session are "privates" only. Everything in your typical MMA session feels so slow and makes you question is it worth it?

Back when I was at the hole in a wall gym, there was 1 different fighter who took care of the gym during the day while the boss showed up at night and they treated me no difference to your typical amateur boxer, you're being lumped with every other amateurs in the session, there were no "beginners" class or anything like that. We would go through heavy body conditioning and they'd put you straight in sparring at the end. It was fast paced and they had a strict policy about no time wasting and they'd punish you by doing pushups/situps/burpees if you drank without "break" time. It was brutal but definitely helped me mentally.

Anyway, I've progressed much quicker with the "no nonsense" fighters gym in 6 months than with the influx of fancy MMA gyms. Another noticeable difference is the environment, the nice and friendly casuals in MMA gyms won't cope through the same level of intensity in hole in a wall gym 4-5 times a day.

Last edited:
because many rich people arent that smart when it comes to combat sports.

there are some mma gym here (200-300 per month) and the "kickboxing lessons" are super lol ... they showed you how to throw a punch before you leanred any footwork ... loool ... no fundamentals.

most MMA gyms are scam.

Because insecure little manlets will gladly pay to train UFC at their local McDojo to make them feel tougher.

I'd imagine because of the multiple disciplines involved. Boxing is just boxing

They are not expensive, step your life game up

Agreed. I paid 100/month for 3 No-Gi classes a week. Very reasonable. Eventually I paid an extra 50 a month and they let me hit the back end and front end of the boxing/stand-up classes that bookended my grappling class. That's 150 a month for 3 grappling classes and 3 stand-up classes a week.

Then the kids came. Man I miss being in that kind of shape and having that kind of time.
I have a little gym set up in my garage and even I have a hard time finding time to hit the bag and lift after my first was born and probably have my second on the way.

$150-220 for a decent BJJ gym in So Cal. It's really criminal...I work in the medical profession and at best I can do like two sessions a week. I dont go to become great but rather because BJJ makes me happy. It's like a natural drug.

I went to a lot of boxing gyms back in the day and they ranged from $25-80 month maximum.

HOwever....$150-220 adds up after a few months. You better tell me you're trying to go pro for that rate even if you have $

When was back in the day though?
$80 in 2000 is about $120 now
$80 in 1990 is $150

Sure MMA gyms are more expensive than boxing gyms but given inflation they aren't really that much more than boxing gyms

Back