Why were old boxing gyms so cheap and modern MMA gyms so expensive?

$150-220 for a decent BJJ gym in So Cal. It's really criminal...I work in the medical profession and at best I can do like two sessions a week. I dont go to become great but rather because BJJ makes me happy. It's like a natural drug.

I went to a lot of boxing gyms back in the day and they ranged from $25-80 month maximum.

HOwever....$150-220 adds up after a few months. You better tell me you're trying to go pro for that rate even if you have $

My job doesn’t even pay well and I make it work. People spend 150 a month easy on bullshit food and drinks. Make a couple sacrifices and stop expecting these trainers to run a good gym for scraps.

I wonder why modern MMA gyms were able to follow this path of development, for better or worse, but old boxing gyms weren’t?

Because generally, middle-upper class people from the burbs were not interested in training boxing, but are interested in programs offered by an MMA gym.

I don’t know why serious boxing gyms couldn’t put on lucrative boxercise classes for dads/moms and weekend warriors.

Another thread got me thinking about this question. Seems kind of a stinky situation. You want at least one sport where the entrance price is how much blood and guts you have, not how much money.

Most of the boxing gyms I've been to cost $120-150 if you want to do classes. This was usually targeted at getting the majority of folks (who like boxing in theory but don't want to actually get punched in the face) to carry a lot of the gyms fees. If you didn't want the classes, and just wanted access to the bags/rings/gym, the cost was usually lower (around $50 a month). Most of the people who were or were aiming to be pros only paid for the gym time. The coaches helped them, and they could spar other seasoned fighters to learn more. I would say the majority of people at the gyms I went to were just there for the cardio workout and maybe some *very* light sparring. I haven't tried any MMA gyms since I favor boxing but I would imagine the same applies. It also varies by neighborhood as some folks have pointed out. Gyms in lower income areas tend to be cheaper....but you're gonna fight if you go there.

A sad consequence of this is that old boxing gyms use to provide a place to go for kids who had nothing and were probably headed for trouble, and now at 200 a month probably not so much.

I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. Yes, the majority of MMA gym students are full-paying members - after all, this is how the lights stay on. But, there are exceptions to this rule in most gyms. For example, at my old gym I am pretty certain there are at least 2 students who do not pay - there is a college kid who runs the receptionist desk on Saturdays and another who runs around with a vacuum and mop after night classes finishes. I think disadvantaged kids can still get a leg up if they can show they have a good attitude and am willing to help out the gym in whatever way they can.

That and many gyms will often also offer a twice a week or thrice a week deal. These are usually $10-15 cheaper each week than unlimited. Sometimes, these deals might not be advertised straight up (as, let's be honest, the average hobbyist only shows up 2-3 times/week) but most gyms will prefer an extra $30 a week when the other alternative is an extra $0 a week.

This might sound harsh but I think a lot of the "oh MMA is too expensive!" people just don't have their priorities straight. A couple of my friends are like that but then you look at the clothes they wear, their holiday to *insert European country* and the fact they never even tried to talk to any gym owner - its really more of an excuse than anything else

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. Yes, the majority of MMA gym students are full-paying members - after all, this is how the lights stay on. But, there are exceptions to this rule in most gyms. For example, at my old gym I am pretty certain there are at least 2 students who do not pay - there is a college kid who runs the receptionist desk on Saturdays and another who runs around with a vacuum and mop after night classes finishes. I think disadvantaged kids can still get a leg up if they can show they have a good attitude and am willing to help out the gym in whatever way they can.

That and many gyms will often also offer a twice a week or thrice a week deal. These are usually $10-15 cheaper each week than unlimited. Sometimes, these deals might not be advertised straight up (as, let's be honest, the average hobbyist only shows up 2-4 times/week) but most gyms will prefer an extra $30 a week when the other alternative is an extra $0 a week.

I feel (and this is just a feeling, I realize this might actually be answered objectively with data) that this has become more the exception to the rule than what use to be the rule itself.

Another thread got me thinking about this question. Seems kind of a stinky situation. You want at least one sport where the entrance price is how much blood and guts you have, not how much money.
What, no "you sound poor gif" yet?!
Lemme help out:
<{poor?}>
But on topic, I remember the good ol days when I paid 10$ a month to train under a former Olympic Judo coach and 9th Dan... shoulda milked it longer than I did.

MMA is popular, that's why it's expensive. Demand / Supply.

living costs and operating expenses were lower then.

Is that a cause though, or a consequence? You may ask why boxing gyms did not develop the same way, to be full time, etc.

Ground grappling is much easier on the body for casuals than boxing (or throwing grappling like wrestling or judo). The people paying a hundred dollars or more per month tend to have jobs that pay well (or parents with such jobs), and jobs like that aren't particularly forgiving about missing work because of injuries.

Also, you can train ground grappling all your life (a real plus), and most people are more financially secure (and able to pay higher fees) as they get into their 30's and older.

It's £60 a month for unlimited classes in Edinburgh, Scotland.

That's first class tutition in several Martial Arts.

Really Good Boxing gym is £40 a month for 6 sessions a week.

All you would have to do is walk into Johnny Tacos gym and then walk into a mma gym to see the difference. Plus, in mma gyms, theres not a dozen guys wanting to see who can break your nose first.

The truth is bjj and mma gyms are so expensive that going to the boxing gym and traditional martial arts are bang for the buck bargain,

Add to the fact that most mma gyms like the UFC gym are nothing but some kind of McDojo.

All you would have to do is walk into Johnny Tacos gym and then walk into a mma gym to see the difference. Plus, in mma gyms, theres not a dozen guys wanting to see who can break your nose first.
Slightly off topic but how is Johnny Toccos? Please PM me or reply as I have always been curious (given one of the striking forum mods works there)

Because they were old, and rent was cheaper back then. They also tended to be in shitty neighborhoods which also contributed to having lower costs.

My first discipline is boxing, I paid $16 a month for my membership at Knights of Columbus boxing gym, $12 for the actual membership and $4 for my locker. Damn I miss the 80’s and 90’s, everything was simpler, everyone was more respectful and civil to one another...smh

Back