Why PRIDE is the greatest thing in MMA history.

Heh. You didn't like the rivalry between Bethe and Ronda? Some people just can't be satisfied.

It was fine. Dominant champ vs confident underdog. It's a bit played out, imo, but people are eating it up at an accelerating rate. Gotta keep.striking while the iron is hot. I like to think what would happen if Ronda put Tate over...

There have been GREAT fights in both organizations, all out wars.
Pride FC had better presentation, better atmosphere, and a better rule set--almost perfect, just wish there had been elbows. Every Pride FC event was a spectacle, an show that was a festival where violence was celebrated.

I miss PRIDE FC a lot.

Do they have to ? Current top UFC fighters wrecks Pride legends in their primes.

1. You are just assuming that.

2. Without Pride, modern MMA knowledge would have to learn on it's own.

3. Making fire easily today, doesn't make you superior to the guy who tamed fire. You can't hold a candle to that guy.

4. Everything we know about fighting we owe to the people who helped develope the knowledge and put it all together.

5. Don't take credit for society advancement.

Last edited:
Stefan Leko was the #1 kickboxer when he fought Ogawa?

Ok dude you lost all credibility right there. Lol

And as far as Leko being an MMA laughing stock, it was a joke then just as much as now.

Even Cro-Cop went on the record encouraging Stefan to quit being an MMA hobbyist.

So no... That fight was not some "historic clash of disciplines." Lol

Your nostalgia is writing revisionist history.

Rise to the top in 2003 - exit from K-1, MMA debut with Pride

After a six-fight win streak in 2003 (5-0 in K-1) that included wins over multiple time K-1 champion Peter Aerts, heavyweight kickboxing champion Mike Bernardo, and K-1 World Grand Prix finalist Francisco Filho, the now top-ranked Leko was a favourite leading into the K-1 World Grand Prix 2003. With previous champion Ernesto Hoost out, Leko was considered a favourite leading in. However, he would leave K-1 prior to the finals, after contract negotiations broke down. Former Leko opponent Remy Bonjasky, whom Leko had beaten the previous year, would win the Grand Prix tournament.

You are a f*cking revisionist.

I wrote down facts. Now STFU and leave the conversation to the adults.

I love Pride. Pride Wanderlei is the whole reason I started watching MMA in the first place. But, you can't tell me it wasn't full of freakshows, fixed fights, and unchecked steroid abuse.

It's better now than it's ever been, and if you don't think so, that genuinely sucks. No shit talking. I wish you could enjoy today's sport as much as I do.

I wish you knew what I'm talking about.

I guess you didn't feel the enthusiasm for Pride events at the time they happened.

I remember going crazy before events. I could hardly wait. I watch them now and still remember how I felt. It's not the same, but it's great.

I had so many questions and uncertainties.

Now, I don't give a sh*t about most fights, let alone whole events.

I read play by play of the fights I'm interrested in and watch replays of HW fights and maybe some other fights. I keep my Fight Channel running to support combat sports, but I rarely actually watch fights.

The magic is gone.

It's like NBA dunk contest.

I barely care about it anymore. I've seen it all.

Well, enjoy your roided up, freakshow Bushido DVDs from 2005.

Btw, the 1930's Scarface was way better, bro.

That analogy is from the days when they waited 50 years and a plethora of technological advancements in all facets of the media to do remakes.

You've changed the equation.

You've tapped.

Yeah I probably only think the original Star Wars trilogy was amazing because of nostalgia. I'm sure the the prequel movies were much better, newer with better special effects and all that but I'm probably just blinded by nostalgia and can't see it.

Nostalgia isn't blindness. It is appreciation of the special and unrepeatable feelings that a certain thing gave you.

Mma has become its own martial art.style vs style is no longer viable.

In terms of an Org I preferred PRIDE back when they had the GP's and NYE Cards. They just felt 'special' but in terms of talent overall (especially now) I'd say that the UFC is far and away the better Org.

PS: LOL at Leko being the No.1 PFP Kickboxer at that time... Not even close!

Don't ever misqoute me for saying P4P.

It was understood, that Leko was the best kickboxer in 2003. Deal with it.

You don't understand what I wrote. Read it again until you understand it.

A hint:

When Anderson front kick KOed Vitor it was epic, when someone does it today, it's a copy and is never going to be as impressive.

Do you understand?

When the first guy tamed fire it was epic, when you create it today, using matches it's not epic at all:)

Try and understand.

Yeah I know I plan to stop watching mma because I seen KOs and subs so nothing will impress me any more its just copies..

And BTW UFC is older than Pride so its just the copy to you I guess and not really impressive..

CLyLHzrVAAAlPWY.jpg:large

Those who watched will NEVER forget!

Today, this fight would be ridiculed for bad technique, back then it was appreciated for being the brawl of all brawls.

I got crazy when I saw this.

OP is predictable and wrong, as usual.

Nothing new to see here, only wannabe MMA elite snobs who think they are cool.

Nobody tell this guy to preach, he would do it in his underwear and say that you've got the problem, not him.

Point out the things I'm wrong about or STFU.

Seriously, who makes their Sherdog avatar a picture of themselves in their underwear from 2008,
then tries to play it off cool like you are just trying to show off for the weight lifting guys?

Edit, lol he changed it.

Who obsseses over a fellow sherdog poster?

I only know you as the annoying Xena Avatar, always bitching about me without using any smart arguments.

You sound like a little b*tch.

Seriously, who makes their Sherdog avatar a picture of themselves in their underwear from 2008,
then tries to play it off cool like you are just trying to show off for the weight lifting guys?

Edit, lol he changed it.

It's one of those things where someone is telling you how awesome their life is, how hot their gf is and all these people who respect them for their wisdom yet there's a hint of hysteria and loneliness you just can't shake. Then when you try to excuse yourself they're like "Bro you just got here! Let me tell you about my military days..."

Today, this fight would be ridiculed for bad technique, back then it was appreciated for being the brawl of all brawls.

I got crazy when I saw this.

That it would be...but i would chose to watch a replay of this over watching any....lets say frankie edger fight. Hell I'd watch most of Don Frye's fights over most fighters today.

Today in this day in age it's all about being an athlete first and a fighter second with very few exceptions. Back then it was all about fighting first and just so happen to be an athlete. All these super fights we want to see today we can't get because they just won't do it. I mean we are complaining about Ronda Cyborg difference of 5-10 lbs yet we fucking got Wandy and Mark Hunt fight on 8 days notice and 80 lb weight difference for crying out loud. (which back then was a damn super fight would watch it again today to.....rematch? lol)

ufc is temporary... PRIDE is forever!!!

Had Zuffa been the organization to be in financial trouble and tap out, there's a good chance there IS NO MMA today.

Zuffa > FEG

Not even close.

FEG only promoted Pride/Dream/K1 events (look where that got them), and did not focus on growing the sport. It was an organization that was in it because it was a "fad," rather than being a legit sport that deserved to be any and everywhere. It took its shot at making money in MMA (twice) and failed both times...all while allowing the sport to flat out die in its own backyard.

I'm personally glad FEG crawled away and died (MMA-wise). Fedor/CC or Hendo/Wand or Shogun/Little Nog were bad ass fights I'll always remember, but Jones/Gus or Weidman/Anderson or Lawler/Rory or Werdum/Cain (and so on) are fine (fully legit) alternatives.

Plus...look at the health of the sport now, compared to then.

Again, Zuffa > FEG and it's not close.

Pride died because Japanese found out about their Jacuzza ties and terminated the TV deals.

American's don't care about UFC's Fertitta ties. or else UFC would follow suit.

Back