Opinion Why isn't there a class in highschool or middle school for handling money?

It's called math. In your state, I believe it's been replaced in the curriculum by creationism.
This, personal finance is simple. Do not spend more than you earn. Be careful with interest. Invest your savings instead of stuffing them in your bed.
I think basic law would be a lot more useful but in general school classes outside of your national language, 1 foreign language and math are superfluous. If you're good at math physics and chemistry are easy, you can learn history and geography at any level without knowing "the basics" first. You can't do that with math, you can't learn calculus without knowing algebra.

In our district, we offer what's called Financial Algebra. To be blunt though, I don't think anybody who takes that kind of class is going to get much out of it.

The math you need to balance a check book, calculate interest, or file a basic tax return is already covered by the curriculum most students have to take anyway.

It's just reading directions, adding, subtracting, and a bit of using exponents. If somebody can't manage that on his own, I think that's due to being intellectually lazy more so than anything else.
yes but that literally 90% of life.

lol this thread is hilarious. Why are you all so snobby about basic finance? Do you laugh at a 3 year old when they can't tie their shoes? You gotta learn this shit one way or another.

lol this thread is hilarious. Why are you all so snobby about basic finance? Do you laugh at a 3 year old when they can't tie their shoes? You gotta learn this shit one way or another.
If the toddler grows into an adult who insists on Velcro because they don't want to learn how to tie their own shoes? Probably a little bit.

Edit: I am being kind of a douche. I actually wish we'd bring back home economics anyway, and basic finance could easily tie into that course.

Last edited:
Isn't that what parents are for?

I've managed my money to buy cards and gifts and such since I was 3 or 4. Had a (joint) bank account at 6 or 7. Understood sales tax, how credit cards work/don't, interest, and checking for as long as long as I can remember. A little parenting goes a long way.
This guys got it all figured out

civics and nutrition and exercise are classes though.

LOL

What are you smoking?

All classes as they are composed are shit.

Both of my sisters are teachers.

They are both brilliant, but they know the score.

As I recall, GED tests, (which are HORRIDLY simple) are created so that 30% of high school grads fail them... (it's something like that)

Kids in this country are STUPID...in SPITE of having the universe at their fingertips................................

...sadly, schools do NOT use the true power of the internet and technology (on the whole) in ANY way shape or form.

LOL

What are you smoking?

All classes as they are composed are shit.

Both of my sisters are teachers.

They are both brilliant, but they know the score.

As I recall, GED tests, (which are HORRIDLY simple) are created so that 30% of high school grads fail them... (it's something like that)

Kids in this country are STUPID...in SPITE of having the universe at their fingertips................................

...sadly, schools do NOT use the true power of the internet and technology (on the whole) in ANY way shape or form.
GED is for people who didn't complete highschool. You are talking out of your ass

Seriously. It's something everyone has to deal with and it's completely ignored by the education system. It's also one of the biggest factors of if you will be poor or not. Unfortunately a lot of parents have zero knowledge of how to handle money and paying bills etc, but for some reason we leave it up to them. I'm pretty sure we could find a class to replace to help people not be dumbasses with money.

My sons had to take a class like that as Freshmen - balance a checkbook, create a budget, mock stock market, etc.

Because people in power dont want the common folk to know.

He's pretty ignorant but don't let that get you down. He'll never achieve his goal as being President of the War Room so he's extra bitter.

Remember his passive aggressive sticky thread after losing? Was hilarious.

Because that doesn't benefit the globalists. Same reason you don't learn about mortgages and investing. They needs cogs for the system, not financially sound people.

I would say most high schools have an economic class but it’s only one semester and briefly touches on how to manage money and balance a checkbook.
My high school had an Econ class as well as a Career Development class. It still didn't help many in my class. That said, tjhe graduation rate for my class was like 97%. Pretty good by any standards.

Isn't that what parents are for?

I've managed my money to buy cards and gifts and such since I was 3 or 4. Had a (joint) bank account at 6 or 7. Understood sales tax, how credit cards work/don't, interest, and checking for as long as long as I can remember. A little parenting goes a long way.

I can't get my wife to understand. She uses credit cards because of the 'cash back' then pays 20% on the debt. She won't close any credit card because it hurts her credit score. Then racks up 20 grand of CC debt in two years.

It's so retarded. I haven't used a credit car in decades. I simply don't buy this GS if I can't pay cash.

Fuck me. I hate idiots who just consume.

Essentially, a lot of high school has moved from life preparation to college preparation.

So basic home skills and such aren't given much priority in the curriculum. Only 17 states require finance in high school.

On the flip side, they don't make you take it in law school either. We had an elective called "Finance for Lawyers", it was college level finance but so few people came to law school with any background that you needed something to get to basic. How else are you supposed to reasonably calculate the damages on some of these cases if you don't have more than checkbook level finance at your fingertips?

If there was I would straight up Billy Madison that shit.

I'm terrible with money.

They had a money management class in our high school.

Because TPTB want ignorant plebs to run on a hamster wheel until they die so they can extract all their wealth from them and leave them to die destitute. Public schools are merely indoctrination centers meant to mass produce ignorant techno-peasants who will do their bidding and not question anything.

Why do you assume kids would even listen. The kids who are already on their way to a good educaion are going to know about this stuff. The kids that aren't won't pay attention either way.

Back