Opinion Why isn't there a class in highschool or middle school for handling money?

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seriously. It's something everyone has to deal with and it's completely ignored by the education system. It's also one of the biggest factors of if you will be poor or not. Unfortunately a lot of parents have zero knowledge of how to handle money and paying bills etc, but for some reason we leave it up to them. I'm pretty sure we could find a class to replace to help people not be dumbasses with money.

it's called 'life skills', and if you end up there ur probably not going to college

Seriously. It's something everyone has to deal with and it's completely ignored by the education system. It's also one of the biggest factors of if you will be poor or not. Unfortunately a lot of parents have zero knowledge of how to handle money and paying bills etc, but for some reason we leave it up to them. I'm pretty sure we could find a class to replace to help people not be dumbasses with money.

I would say most high schools have an economic class but it’s only one semester and briefly touches on how to manage money and balance a checkbook.

It's not that hard to spend less than what you make. If you can't figure this out then you deserve to be poor.

It would help some but honestly you would need a yearly class on it or most will just forget everything.

Not a bad idea. I'd be curious to see what an itinerary for such a class would look like.

Financial literacy is part of the curriculum in my state.

I took economics in highschool. Easily the best teacher I ever had . Taught us everything from ten key to balancing your check book to investment strategy. Granted this was 25 years ago, but California public schooo system nonetheless

It's called math. In your state, I believe it's been replaced by creationism.

Last edited:
We had one as an elective at my HS. It was called consumer math. But like all other subjects, it was more about copying shit out of book than learning anything. Handling their money is something that anyone with basic arithmetic should be able to do. Many can't, but should be able to.

Related to this: I honestly don't think anyone has ever learned a second language in the foreign language class of an American public high school in the last 50 years. Because the entire focus is on copying shit from a book and how to conjugate verbs correctly and not being taught how to speak the language. Kids can take Spanish/French/Italian/German for four years every semester and be lucky to be understood by a cashier when they order something. With math, they spend more time on absurd advanced math no one would ever use unless they became a math teacher rather than focus on useful mathematics.

Last edited:
It's called math. In your state, I believe it's been replaced by creationism.

Spoken like someone that believes crap they read in some newspaper article and doesn't know how PC the American public education system has been for decades. You hear about some creationist story in one district in one state and imagine that's the standard.

Last edited:
Because if there was, you wouldn’t bury yourself in student debt for college.

Because that would actually help people. You know that's not what this is all about.

It's not that hard to spend less than what you make. If you can't figure this out then you deserve to be poor.
Very very very good advice from Revulva. This is why Revulva can eat out at Chilis once a month folks. Listen to the master.

Basic math skills?

Now, having a class on how to like properly do taxes and shit I could see.

Spoken like someone that believes crap they read in newspaper and doesn't know how PC the American public education system has been for decades. You hear about some creationist story in one district in one state and imagine that's the standard.
He's pretty ignorant but don't let that get you down. He'll never achieve his goal as being President of the War Room so he's extra bitter.

We had one when I went to school didnt take it serious now that got me and da fellas relearning and chasing dat cheedah brudda

Back