Why isn't the UFC trying to get more young HWs?

Most of the guys you listed are old and/or have contracts elsewhere. "Trying" really doesn't apply.

Also, they tried with Ishii. Dude was offered a contract before he ever step foot in a cage/ring and he turned it down cause he wanted to fight in Japan. Now he fights old veterans for IGF every few months and winning boring fights. Two losses to Cro Cop probably won't help his cause either.

Look. I asked why they don't try to sign. If you have answers, I appreciate them.

Well, I would guess that Ishii got a better offer in Japan.

The UFC is cheap and you know it. They make a looot of money and do very little to attract good talent. They rather spend millions on hyping some FW contender. Bullsh*t.

The UFC should sign this big guy for HW.
With some MMA training, he might stand a chance.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Don Frye got it right when he spoke about the pussification of modern men.

The UFC knows their market, and most modern MMA fans are happier watching women and little hipster manlets with the occasional NFL reject thrown in for good measure.

Don Frye got it right when he spoke about the pussification of modern men.

The UFC knows their market, and most modern MMA fans are happier watching women and little hipster manlets with the occasional NFL reject thrown in for good measure.

You are god damn right.

Look. I asked why they don't try to sign. If you have answers, I appreciate them.

Well, I would guess that Ishii got a better offer in Japan.

The UFC is cheap and you know it. They make a looot of money and do very little to attract good talent. They rather spend millions on hyping some FW contender. Bullsh*t.

Well, you got your answer. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not right.

And the UFC invest in people they can make their money back off of. Not their fault no one at heavyweight is particularly interesting or can stay healthy for a significant amount of time. Besides, Ishii isn't even a top 25 heavyweight. He's not a draw in his own country. This is the guy that was getting booed in his own country.

Mind you back when the UFC was in talks with him, Ishii reportedly had a 5.8 million dollar deal set up with K-1/Dynamite but didn't sign to go talk to the UFC instead. And this was at a time when the UFC was trying to break into Japan. So yeah, I'm guessing he was offered a significant amount of money.

They don't want to pay them. The sub-50 ranked 55ers they have an excess of will gladly take the 5k.

Well, you got your answer. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not right.

And the UFC invest in people they can make their money back off of. Not their fault no one at heavyweight is particularly interesting or can stay healthy for a significant amount of time. Besides, Ishii isn't even a top 25 heavyweight. He's not a draw in his own country. This is the guy that was getting booed in his own country.

Mind you back when the UFC was in talks with him, Ishii reportedly had a 5.8 million dollar deal set up with K-1/Dynamite but didn't sign to go talk to the UFC instead. And this was at a time when the UFC was trying to break into Japan. So yeah, I'm guessing he was offered a significant amount of money.

Thankyou.

Also remember when they signed South Africa's number 1 Hw In Potts? Lmao dude was a straight out bust and probably turned the UFC off signing anyone from another country that is crushing cans.

Thankyou.

Also remember when they signed South Africa's number 1 Hw In Potts? Lmao dude was a straight out bust and probably turned the UFC off signing anyone from another country that is crushing cans.

The key to rebuilding the division imo is to sign guys from strong combat sport backgrounds and no little MMA experience, like they did with Bilyal Makhov. Guys from backgrounds that don't make money like BJJ, Judo, kickboxing, TKD, wrestling, etc. Hook them up with big camps (they've done this with the TUF Latin American fighter before, so it's possible) and give them 3-4 fights a year against some local jobbers.

In 5 years time I'm not sure there will be a HW division at the rate these fighters are deteriorating.

Age isn't a huge factor at HW and besides half the guys you listed aren't young. As long as they don't take a bunch of shit kickings and injuries they can fight until the ripe old age of 45 and be fine. I think JDS needs to get the talk soon though. he's taking too much punishment.

Here's a little story about how weak the HW division is, not just in the UFC, but worldwide.

So a couple years ago, UFC was in the middle of their big "world fucking domination" push. They were scouting for talent in small promotions in various countries they were thinking about holding shows in.

There's a successful MMA promotion in South Africa called EFC Africa. They are the big show there and often pull crowds of 5k+ in Johannesburg.

The UFC set their sights on the EFC Heavyweight Champion. He wasn't young, but he had a good record and appeared to deserve his shot in the big leagues.

He was 8-1 with all wins via finish and his one loss being avenged by way of a 44 second armbar. He was touted as one of the best HWs on the international scene and was often mentioned in threads just like this. His name? Ruan Potts.

The moral of the story, even when they do sign these HWs that have good records on the international circuits, they don't actually add much depth to the division.

My favorite fighter is a HW, but I think the division might get worse before it gets better.

Back