why isnt the muay thai pushkick/teep used

Let me have a look on YouTube and I will find you one, regarding

If I have to dig through YouTube to find some I will.

You don't push your weight forward it should stay on your back foot. The push should come from your leg and then extended via your hip in a driving motion, very much like a good knee, it's driven via the hip. If they try to push forward it's the back foot that is already posted with most of your weight that helps stop them pushing you on your arse, there are weight classes in Muay Thai for a reason, 220lb guy just walks through the 130lb guys teep.

When I used to pad hold for people that fought I would use a slight turning motion so they would teep the belly pad and there foot would slid off to the side. I would either punish them by a tap to there head with what ever I was holding (focus pad or Thai pad) or they would have to drive their teeping foot down between my arm and body to land into a clinch.

They soon learned not to over extend their teep, if you need to bridge the gap, hop and teep.

Landing forward from a teep puts you straight into KO land from elbow or right cross.

This is the way I was shown, if you was shown another way and it works for you then I am not against it. I am here to learn and advacate that if it works for you and you are successful with it then carry on using it.

It's all good man. Don't bother. If you do post something we will be in a "what color is this dress" moment deciding if its a teep or a snap kick. ;)

It's all good man. Don't bother. If you do post something we will be in a "what color is this dress" moment deciding if its a teep or a snap kick. ;)

it was blue and black, but I saw it as white and gold :(

It's white and gold!!!! What's wrong with you people!!!!!<45>

A teep is more of a thrust than a snap, just like a good piercing knee.......driven by the hip.......but a teep has so many forms.

Last edited:

Every sane person knows it's white and gold but I digress.

Snap kicks don't seem to have the thrust a teep does. Could be wrong but snap kicks seem to angle upward more like uppercuts.

I often get confused about the snap vs the teep. At a muay thai gym i was starting out at I tried pushing the kick and the coach was " no! kick" and I did my standard karate front kick and he was like " good good!" I tend to only kick up when I go to the head.

Yall see that Australian beat Romero in the last UFC almost entirely with the teep (and toughness)? Very refreshing, his corner kept calling for it once he did the fight changed.

I often get confused about the snap vs the teep. At a muay thai gym i was starting out at I tried pushing the kick and the coach was " no! kick" and I did my standard karate front kick and he was like " good good!" I tend to only kick up when I go to the head.

The teep isn't really a push though...it's like a spear thrust at your torso (or wherever you target it).

Could just be bad examples I've chosen but I don't feel like the Karate front kick has the same hip thrust/extension that the teep uses:

mae-geri.jpg

Muay-Thai-Fun-Kickboxing-Fitness-Self-Defense-Hockessin-Wilmington-Newark-DE.jpg

There's another kick that uses the sole of the foot, instead of the ball, to push someone back but that's probably used from closer range and not exactly a teep in the traditional sense.

Maybe that helps... From an older post i've made:

Front kick, Teep, and push kick are 3 different things...
Simply put:

The front kick, you see it mostly in Karate and Taekwon-Do, you raise your knee and snap your foot upwards. You hit with the ball of the foot in an upward movement . (think uppercut)

The teep is mostly use in Muay Thai. You raise your knee, but you use your hips to extend your foot forward. You hit with the ball of the foot in a straight/direct movement. (think straight punches)

For the push kick, the contact is made while the leg is still chambered. You push your opponent while you straightened your leg. Most of the sole of the foot is in contact. (think shove)

Of course, when you fight those lines tent to blur and you may mix voluntarily or not those 3 techniques.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Can you show me a video from a Muay Thai fight of someone throwing a teep, missing completely, and not being off balanced forward?

I don't understand how you push with your foot, without leaning into it with your weight, and without being pushed back.

Technique 1 as demonstrated by his greatness. He clearly says not to lean back preferably, and spends a ton of time emphasizing the rootedness of his base leg. This concept can be expanded to include all strikes. Think less of the striking limbs, and more what the base legs and hips are doing. Eg ( think your left leg for a right round house, Right leg for LRH, left leg for R knee, etc). If you do decide to lean back, do it for tactical reasons like swaying from incoming strikes than as a counter balance. So for instance in Saenchai's picture, look how rooted and straight his posting leg is. That is where the counter balance for the teep is. Its similar to people thinking you have to lean back on knees. No you don't, you should be driving up very strong on the base leg though.

Technique 1 as demonstrated by his greatness. He clearly says not to lean back preferably, and spends a ton of time emphasizing the rootedness of his base leg. This concept can be expanded to include all strikes. Think less of the striking limbs, and more what the base legs and hips are doing. Eg ( think your left leg for a right round house, Right leg for LRH, left leg for R knee, etc). If you do decide to lean back, do it for tactical reasons like swaying from incoming strikes than as a counter balance. So for instance in Saenchai's picture, look how rooted and straight his posting leg is. That is where the counter balance for the teep is. Its similar to people thinking you have to lean back on knees. No you don't, you should be driving up very strong on the base leg though.

Went to a seminar with him back in April and this was one of the key things I picked up...straight base leg.

holy thread resurrection. I was like "why is sinister talking about Muay Thai here?", then I looked at the date lol.

The teep is one of my favorite techniques when I'm sparring kickboxing, but especially when I'm sparring MT. It's so great for setups, stopping momentum, controlling distance/pacing, and for countering.

That being said I almost never use it in MMA sparring anymore. I think it mostly has to do with the difference in stances. In MT it's very easy to land due to the upright and mostly square stances of fighters. In MMA it's a lot harder to land accurately and less effective when it does land due to the lower, wider, and occasionally a tad more sideways stance that many MMA fighters these days. I prefer leg kicks for stopping forward momentum and countering in MMA vs similar situations where I'd use a teep in MT.

I've also had great success with a modified sticking teep to the ribs/liver. It starts off and looks very similar to a teep but it has more of an upward trajectory when it makes contact compared to the forward trajectory of a teep. The purpose of the kick is to wind the opponent and inflict damage on the body. Watch Conor McGregor fight vs Chad Mendes if you want a great example of that kick being utilized.

Big chance of getting taken down. Simple.

Well, part of that is due to the fact that almost all MMA fighters have shitty teeps, compared to what else is out there. You get someone like Saenchai in MMA throwing teeps...how often you think he gets his leg caught/parried by an MMA fighter?

MMA still has a ways to go in terms of MT technique. You still see guys blocking knees with the forearm block, etc. Was a while back but Rich didn't even know how to swim out of the double collar tie when Anderson grabbed ahold of him. For a more recent example, look at how far Cormier got with bad defense to kicks/knees (granted, he didn't face any heavy kickers aside from maybe Rumble).

Well, part of that is due to the fact that almost all MMA fighters have shitty teeps, compared to what else is out there. You get someone like Saenchai in MMA throwing teeps...how often you think he gets his leg caught/parried by an MMA fighter?

MMA still has a ways to go in terms of MT technique. You still see guys blocking knees with the forearm block, etc. Was a while back but Rich didn't even know how to swim out of the double collar tie when Anderson grabbed ahold of him. For a more recent example, look at how far Cormier got with bad defense to kicks/knees (granted, he didn't face any heavy kickers aside from maybe Rumble).
True, the teeps of MMA fighters are not on the level of Muay Thai fighters, but I think that's just due to the fact that the teep just isn't that effective in MMA.
If you look at the best MT fighters in MMA, they don't even use the teep.

And with regards to Cormier, I think that he goes to show how the threat of a takedown can really make people hesitant with kicks. Jon Jones is the only man to match him wrestling wise, he is the only man who has been able to beat him, and both times the confidence to throw kicks was a huge factor.

Its just the nature of MMA, with it being so multi-faceted there's only so much time people can put in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back