Why Isn't Poirier Exploding In Popularity?

because Abu Dhabi PD took away the dolley before Conor could throw it at Dustin's airport shuttle. is normal.

I'm just genuinely intrested in how everyone that beats Conor becomes a star, despite not having a persona that can carry that stardom, they don't have more of a personality than Dustin, not less either, but Dustin doesn't really become a star from this, despite KNOCKING Conor out. What more does a guy from Lousiana have to do to get some recognition. I feel like Americans are really bad at backing their own for some reason. Especially in combat sports.
Go watch khabibs post fight call outs of Conor, his weigh in alhamdulilah war cry and his infamous post fight brawl. Americans/westerners ate that shit up. Khabib did a lot to sell that fight + his undefeated aura of invincibility = mega star

Go watch khabibs post fight call outs of Conor, his weigh in alhamdulilah war cry and his infamous post fight brawl. Americans/westerners ain’t that shit up. Khabib did a lot to sell that fight + his undefeated aura of invincibility = mega star
I disagree. Khabib never really won over the American or Western crowd and he sits in the same boat with Diaz when it comes to personality not always equaling stardom. It's more about who backs them, for Diaz it's the large latino community in US plus Mexico, for Khabib it's his large backing of predominantly Muslims. For Conor it was his intriguing personality and it was early on the Irish fan base but it expanded to mostly western youngsters that could relate to him. Working with a shitty or regular job, in most people's eyes (plumber) and going after your dreams etc and make it big time, like a damn movie.

For Dustin that same backing is not there. Like someone else mentioned earlier, Dustin sits in the same boat as Stipe. They are two very regular laid back American guys (Stipe also got some push from the Croatian fans but not enough to really make a dent).

Khabib is a star for 2 reasons.

1. He's the first Muslim champ
2. He beat Conor

3. He's undefeated. (His record is the last thing people (Casuals) care about and that's the truth.

Diaz it's
1. He beat Conor when Conor was on top of the world kinda.
2. He got a large backing from the Latino community that are very into combat sports generally.

3. He's Nick Diaz brother.

I disagree. Khabib never really won over the American or Western crowd and he sits is in the same boat with Diaz when it comes to personality not always equaling stardom. It's more about who backs them, for Diaz it's the large latino community in US plus Mexico, for Khabib it's his large backing of predominantly Muslims. For Conor it was his intriguing personality and it was early on the Irish fan base but it expanded to mostly western youngsters that could relate to him. Working with a shitty or regular job, in most people's eyes (plumber) and going after your dreams etc and make it big time, like a damn movie.

For Dustin that same backing is not there. Like someone else mentioned earlier, Dustin sits in the same boat as Stipe. They are two very regular laid back American guys (Stipe also got some push from the Croatian fans but not enough to really make a dent).

2. He beat Conor

3. He's undefeated. (His record is the last thing people (Casuals) care about and that's the truth.

Diaz it's
2. He got a large backing from the Latino community that are very into combat sports generally.

Idk mane, every casual fight fan that I run into knows khabib and think he’s unbeatable

I think it has something to do with how he took the win. I mean listen to his interviews, it's like it's just another day at work, and that nothing special happened. This is a career defining moment, he just knocked out Conor McGregor. I feel like people wanted to see him celebrate more, but Dustin seems to be a really laid back guy. If he would do something like Diaz or Khabib he might have gained a bit of a following. The problem is, Dustin is just a regular American white guy from Louisiana so people can't really live vicariously through him in the same way, like the Mexican's did with Diaz, the Irish with Conor or what people that share the same religion as Khabib did with him. I think that is the reason.

Yeah his wife actually gave the best sound bite for the press.

Dustin isn't really interested in the marketing side of fighting while Conor was all about that.

Idk mane, every casual fight fan that I run into knows khabib and think he’s unbeatable
But why/how do they know about Khabib? What actually made him famous? His record or who he beat, what he represents?

Same goes with Diaz.

I'm not taking anything away from Khabib or Diaz, but I think I'm spot on with this one. Stipe can go on and beat Ngannou and then Jones afterwards and he won't be a big name after that. What he represents is a regular blue collar American that doesn't have a larger than life persona, didn't beat the biggest star in combat sports at the time or a religious backing. Same goes with Dustin, in that even tho he beat Conor, there is nothing else there is for people to back him, despite the good he's doing behind the scenes, people want something very specific to latch onto.

I disagree. Khabib never really won over the American or Western crowd and he sits in the same boat with Diaz when it comes to personality not always equaling stardom. It's more about who backs them, for Diaz it's the large latino community in US plus Mexico, for Khabib it's his large backing of predominantly Muslims. For Conor it was his intriguing personality and it was early on the Irish fan base but it expanded to mostly western youngsters that could relate to him. Working with a shitty or regular job, in most people's eyes (plumber) and going after your dreams etc and make it big time, like a damn movie.

2. He beat Conor

Diaz it's

I think Khabib's biggest issue is although very dominant his fights were usually pretty boring. Wrestlers often get a bad wrap for that style. IMO casual fans don't enjoy that as much as the big KO's and just striking in general. I think skill submission artists also get a love because can quite exciting watching them work.

If Khabib had a run of spectacular KO's along the way that would have grown his star but really you know what you were going to get with Khabib. He did try to stand a bit towards the end but at the end of the day he never looked great on his feet.

Its because conor is not a megastar anymore. His popularity dunked since khabib mauled him.

damn bro, stipe? Dustin is way bigger of a star than stipe lol. Even before this win.

Remember when people thought khabib became famous because of conor lmao

damn bro, stipe? Dustin is way bigger of a star than stipe lol. Even before this win.
Way bigger of a star? I dont know about that, what proof is there behind that statement? other than that he shared the octagon with Khabib and lost and gained some followers, in the exact same fashion as Gaethje pretty much.

My point is more that there really is nothing for people to latch onto when it comes to Stipe or Dustin. There is no hardcore nationalistic fans that go out of there way to support them, no heavy religious backing, and no intriguing personality. Dustin could go on and beat Chandler and Oliveira and he would not get recognized by the general public in any way. Of course MMA fans will know who he is, but other than that, Dustin is pretty much a no name.

I can't imagine people who are not intrested in MMA will say, "wanna come over and watch the UFC tonight? Dustin Poirier is fighting...."

Way bigger of a star? I dont know about that, what proof is there behind that statement? other than that he shared the octagon with Khabib and lost and gained some followers, in the exact same fashion as Gaethje pretty much.

My point is more that there really is nothing for people to latch onto when it comes to Stipe or Dustin. There is no hardcore nationalistic fans that go out of there way to support them, no heavy religious backing, and no intriguing personality. Dustin could go on and beat Chandler and Oliveira and he would not get recognized by the general public in any way. Of course MMA fans will know who he is, but other than that, Dustin is pretty much a no name.

I can't imagine people who are not intrested in MMA will say, "wanna come over and watch the UFC tonight? Dustin Poirier is fighting...."
He's in the UFC's most popular divison. Losing to Khabib is more popular than stipe winning against his highest profile matches against DC. He's been in multiple FOTY.

I get agree with your central point, but I wouldn't put him in there with stipe lol. I think especially after beating conor, I think there are some good match ups for him that can get him a good pay day and more limited exposure. He can fight nate and beat nate , that will sell well. I think he's a star now, but he's not a super star. But he can't afford to lose, once he loses, those fans that he gain for beating conor won't stay around.

In my opinion, Dustin should be a huge star by now.

There are lots of reasons why he's not, and one of them is that he's never really had the whole UFC machine behind him. Think about all the other fighters out there who haven't had half his skill and yet got massive amounts of attention. The man just knocked out the biggest star in UFC history. I mean, come on...if now's not the time for some shine, I'm not sure when is.

Nate beat Conor and his popularity skyrocketed, but Nate understands that a big part of the fight game is show business. Nate might not have had any fancy media training, but he understands the value of being funny in front of the cameras, for example.

I wish Dustin had a decent PR team behind him, because now's the time to elevate his profile in every way. It wouldn't just be his legacy that would benefit, either -- just look at all the people that he helps and the causes that he supports. Giving him his due could literally make the world a better place.

His post fight interview has half a million more views than Conor's, that's a good early sign for not even being 48 hrs after the fight.

Back