Why Isn't Poirier Exploding In Popularity?

Because conducting yourself with class doesn’t appeal to most casual MMA fans. You need to talk trash for you to become popular.

the most fun thing Dustin did was give Conor a bottle of hotsauce

Don't you think it's a little childish of you to literally make everything about the guy in your profile picture?
Not if its valid, No.

If it stings you to talk about it, just hit ignore on the profile. Considering that its accurate. I don't see what someone would have an issue with it. He never lost, he had a religion backing, a country backing. He also beat conor when conor was at the height of the MMA world.

If Eddie beat Conor in 2016, Eddie doesn't become as popular as say someone like Nate. What's the issue with saying that?

Holly Holm gets more of a rub for beating Ronda than Nunes does. Shit like that isn't unprecedented.

He has a very boring personality.

the mma bubble burst a while ago, now it's settling back into its niche

Would have gotten more views if he followed up with more punches, then towered over Conor while screaming in his face.

Khabib's personality is not that of a star, neither is Diaz. If you listen to interviews no casuals became fans of them because of their personality. It's just that they can relate to him, religion/country, same with Diaz and the latino crowd he gathered. For Dustin, there is no crowd like that. American's dont get behind their own in the same way, despite being a country and having a culture of sucking famous people off, and trying to live vicariously through them. But for American's it's more important to have a personality than your accomplishments, hence why Dustin won't get the American casuals behind him.
You're right. I didn't consider the latino demographic for nate. I had the viewscope of he was the first to beat him in the ufc, but everything you said is 100% right. America values larger than life personalities.

I have to wonder if Poirier was in canada and more in tune with say his french heritage, I think maybe he would have been big in canada and parts of europe .

Not if its valid, No.

If it stings you to talk about it, just hit ignore on the profile. Considering that its accurate. I don't see what someone would have an issue with it. He never lost, he had a religion backing, a country backing. He also beat conor when conor was at the height of the MMA world.

If Eddie beat Conor in 2016, Eddie doesn't become as popular as say someone like Nate. What's the issue with saying that?
No, it doesn't sting me at all and I'd like to point out that this thread is about Dustin Poirier. Proving my point exactly LMAO.

Great fighter, handsome man, but very little personality. Casual fans don't give a damn about great fighters alone. They want the drama to go along with it. DP jist isn't that kind of guy. Which is fine with me 'cause i tune in for fights alone.

Probably cuz most casuals missed the fight from the shit
, offficial, PPV streaming technical difficulties
Also cuz Conor already has his ass beat a couple times

Dude mma is not that popular. Conor just had all these idiot casuals into the sport. I can’t wait for mma to go back to normal and only have educated die hard fans following again. These casuals are stupid as hell. Them and wmma ruined the sport.

No, it doesn't sting me at all and I'd like to point out that this thread is about Dustin Poirier. Proving my point exactly LMAO.
Fair enough man. We'll just agree to disagree. I only bring up khabib because he exploded in popularity and contrast that with why dustin isn't despite beating mma's bigger star.

But we'll leave it at that.

I think he deserves the same level of stardom. I think he's the best role model for the sport and for the UFC. Dustin is incredible and he deserves the love.

I don't follow these sort of trends. Are those bad numbers? It's only been a day.

Yeah thats my thought too.
OMG!?!?! 30Hs and he is STILL not famous!!!

well TS if it helps, he is a super star in my heart.

Fair enough man. We'll just agree to disagree. I only bring up khabib because he exploded in popularity and contrast that with why dustin isn't despite beating mma's bigger star.

But we'll leave it at that.

I think he deserves the same level of stardom. I think he's the best role model for the sport and for the UFC. Dustin is incredible and he deserves the love.
Khabib exploded in popularity because he is Muslim and Muslims are starved for global athletes. Who is the next biggest Mo Salah? Islam is the biggest religion in the world being Muslim alone made Khabib a star after beating Mcgregor.

You're right. I didn't consider the latino demographic for nate. I had the viewscope of he was the first to beat him in the ufc, but everything you said is 100% right. America values larger than life personalities.

I have to wonder if Poirier was in canada and more in tune with say his french heritage, I think maybe he would have been big in canada and parts of europe .
I think it has something to do with that American's dont represent their country or people in the same way that others do, they represent themselves. Even if Dustin were Canadian I don't know if it would have changed because Canadian's are pretty similar in that way. Let's say if he would be French, representing France, I think he would gain more popularity and would get a lot of support from the French "as their own". That really doesn't exist in America because in most sports, Americans compete against other Americans. I mean NFL is Americans vs Americans. In the rest of the world football/soccer is big and there is more competition between the countries. It's enough to just represent the country. While in America you need to have a personality that people can "look up to" in a way. Dustin is just very regular in that regard. He doesn't have a larger than life presence.

Dustin's doing great. He's getting paid and can call the shots now. Not everybody wants to chase clout and become some bullshit loudmouth celebrity icon. Dustin's a wholesome dude and family man.

1. It's way too early to determine how much of a bump Dustin will get. At the very least, he will certainly gain some measure of popularity.

2. Dustin could have done himself a favor by giving an interesting soundbite. He didn't have to go full Chael Sonnen. And he didn't have to jump out of the cage like Khabib. But a simple "I'm not suprised MOFOs" ala Nate goes a long way for tv and internet highlight packages.

3. Conor doesn't have the same luster he used to. Getting smashed by Khabib definitely took some of his shine.

Dustin's doing great. He's getting paid and can call the shots now. Not everybody wants to chase clout and become some bullshit loudmouth celebrity icon. Dustin's a wholesome dude and family man.
I'm not talking about whether he want's to become famous or not. Because Diaz and Khabib did not want to become famous either, they both hate it. But it was still "forced" on to them due to their wins vs Conor.

And also, does he really call the shots from this? Can he just go out there and create his own belt "BMF" or something like that? Take big fights in other division and make it a PPV without a real belt on the line?

Will Dustin vs Chandler/Oliveira do 500k PPV buys? I don't think so and that is my point.

Last edited:
whats crazy is zabit, poirier, and masvidal all have the same amount of followers

I'm not talking about whether he want's to become famous or not. Because Diaz and Khabib did not want to become famous either, they both hate it. But it was still "forced" on to them due to their wins vs Conor.

And also, does he really call the shots from this. Can he just go out there and create his own belt "BMF" or something like that. Take big fights in other division and make it a PPV without a real belt on the line?

Will Dustin vs Chandler/Oliveira do 500k PPV buys? I don't think so and that is my point.
Oh in that case I agree with what's been said. Nate and Khabib are hugely appealing "characters" whether they want to be or not. Dustin is more like Stipe: Just a humble average dude who wants to be the best and get paid his worth. And yeah being American means you don't become a national hero like Blachowicz, Chito, KZ etc. You need to be a peacock to get attention in America

Back