Why Isn't Poirier Exploding In Popularity?

CallMeCasual

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
He just beat Conor Mcgregor (in the most impressive fashion) and his octagon interview only have 2M views?

Only about 500k (if that) increase of followers on Instagram?

Why is that?

Because he's considered a paper champ who Khabib mauled in 2 rounds.

I think he deserves more credit though.

He just beat Conor Mcgregor (in the most impressive fashion) and his octagon interview only have 2M views?

Only about 500k (if that) increase of followers on Instagram?

Why is that?

MMA in america is not as huge as basketball, football, baseball, and hockey.

The country wasn't behind dustin. Christianity wasn't behind Dustin. Conor didn't insult america. He didn't insult Dustin's family. Nothing that was related to people on a deep personal level.

Dustin was just a fighter that beat him. Plus, Dustin and conor lost to Khabib. Khabib took Conor's aura away. Part of Dustin's gameplan was the wrestling. We've seen him try to implement parts of Khabib's gameplan in 2 fights now. So yeah.

I don't follow these sort of trends. Are those bad numbers? It's only been a day.

Reactions: Gio
He needs to shit talk a lot more to gain popularity. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and that's the sad state of affairs these days
I think it has something to do with how he took the win. I mean listen to his interviews, it's like it's just another day at work, and that nothing special happened. This is a career defining moment, he just knocked out Conor McGregor. I feel like people wanted to see him celebrate more, but Dustin seems to be a really laid back guy. If he would do something like Diaz or Khabib he might have gained a bit of a following. The problem is, Dustin is just a regular American white guy from Louisiana so people can't really live vicariously through him in the same way, like the Mexican's did with Diaz, the Irish with Conor or what people that share the same religion as Khabib did with him. I think that is the reason.
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana

Conor and others have shown just how impactful having a memorable and polarizing persona can be in a sport like this.

I think it has something to do with how he took the win. I mean listen to his interviews, it's like it's just another day at work, and that nothing special happened. This is a career defining moment, he just knocked out Conor McGregor. I feel like people wanted to see him celebrate more, but Dustin seems to be a really laid back guy. If he would do something like Diaz or Khabib he might have gained a bit of a following. The problem is, Dustin is just a regular American white guy from Louisiana so people can't really live vicariously through him in the same way, like the Mexican's did with Diaz, the Irish with Conor or what people that share the same religion as Khabib did with him. I think that is the reason.
I think its because Conor is 1-1 in his last two fights before fighting dustin. When Khabib fought conor, yeah he got beat by floyd, but in mma, he put a masterclass on eddie and people believe he was elite in MMA. Losing to one of the goats in no boxing didn't affect him much.

If you replace dustin with Khabib in 2018, Dustin probably gets a bigger rub. Not as big as khabib because Khabib has an aura of invincibility . He's never been beat and he's more personable than dustin. But he gets popular.

If Eddie Had beat Conor, the conor who lost to nate but won a close decision against nate, that eddie doesn't become a star either.

why are weirdos so obsessed with other's popularity, just let them live their life, he could care less about it either regardless, he earned his stripes to get where he's at today and if he's not being paid well for it, many other organizations would pay more.
I'm just genuinely intrested in how everyone that beats Conor becomes a star, despite not having a persona that can carry that stardom, they don't have more of a personality than Dustin, not less either, but Dustin doesn't really become a star from this, despite KNOCKING Conor out. What more does a guy from Lousiana have to do to get some recognition. I feel like Americans are really bad at backing their own for some reason. Especially in combat sports.

It's not like Conor has been active for the past 5 years. People especially casuals might have stopped watching the UFC during the years that Conor was inactive. If Conor stayed active and stayed that big and popular for the past 2-3 years, this fight could have been really big world wide news like when Weidman beat Silva

MMA in america is not as huge as basketball, football, baseball, and hockey.

The country wasn't behind dustin. Christianity wasn't behind Dustin. Conor didn't insult america. He didn't insult Dustin's family. Nothing that was related to people on a deep personal level.

Dustin was just a fighter that beat him. Plus, Dustin and conor lost to Khabib. Khabib took Conor's aura away. Part of Dustin's gameplan was the wrestling. We've seen him try to implement parts of Khabib's gameplan in 2 fights now. So yeah.
Don't you think it's a little childish of you to literally make everything about the guy in your profile picture?

Pretty solid observation.
Sorry I used my like quota.

Cause he doesn't have the charisma/" it" factor. Doesnt have a nation behind him.

Why is that?

Why didn't Cain Velasquez's popularity explode after destroying Brock Lesnar?

How about mainstream popularity of Fedor after his many numerous victories?

Because popularity has more to do with personality, being larger-than-life infront of the cameras. Cain, Dustin, and Fedor are more chill and humble to attract the attention of the masses.

That said, there's some exceptions to this like GSP and Khabib, who's popularity is related to them being their nationality... who's nations truly value their athletes, and Khabib's muslim faith.

I could go into why that's the not the case in America, but lets just say there's many awesome athletes in America that haven't caught mainstream attention because of their lack of larger-than-life personality.

I think its because Conor is 1-1 in his last two fights before fighting dustin. When Khabib fought conor, yeah he got beat by floyd, but in mma, he put a masterclass on eddie and people believe he was elite in MMA. Losing to one of the goats in no boxing didn't affect him much.

If you replace dustin with Khabib in 2018, Dustin probably gets a bigger rub. Not as big as khabib because Khabib has an aura of invincibility . He's never been beat and he's more personable than dustin. But he gets popular.

If Eddie Had beat Conor, the conor who lost to nate but won a close decision against nate, that eddie doesn't become a star either.
Khabib's personality is not that of a star, neither is Diaz. If you listen to interviews no casuals became fans of them because of their personality. It's just that they can relate to him, religion/country, same with Diaz and the latino crowd he gathered. For Dustin, there is no crowd like that. American's dont get behind their own in the same way, despite being a country and having a culture of sucking famous people off, and trying to live vicariously through them. But for American's it's more important to have a personality than your accomplishments, hence why Dustin won't get the American casuals behind him.

Back