Why is wrestling considered by some to be the best base for mma

Slams aren't allowed in high school/ certain other types of wrestling. Slams are actually penalized. A slam is not inherent to wrestling, it is inherent to anyone strong enough to do it and who wants to mess someone up. Gnp is not a wrestling move either, smart one. 'Dominant position' never ko'd someone. Wrestled for three years in hs btw so I'm not a subject expert but I know enough to know its not as effective for ending fights as the striking arts are
Why are you talking about highschool wrestling and its rules Lol? You asked "why is wrestling the best base for MMA", its because you can completely neutralize the best strikers in the world or even bjj fighters, not to mention you can adapt slams and gnp extremely easily as a wrestler in mma, not to mention in a street fight you think a wrestler isn't going to slam or gnp someone because its "against the rules in highschool wrestliing"?

It's not about if a the thing looks sexy or not. It's about if the thing works. Jiu jitsu match can look like two men are making a some sweet sweet love, but nevertheless if you don't know how to grapple it would be devastating to fight them. They would choke you out, break your limbs.

And I think it's a troll posting some BS. Only a total noob would ask a question at UFC forum.

It WAS the best, but now things are changing as TDD improves. Conor has such an advantage because he started as a boxer and his hands are just light years beyond anyone else in MMA, he is able to stuff the TDD and thus he wins the fight. They used to say an elite boxer would own in MMA but they had to be able to stop the TD, but that is easier said than done. Wonderboy and Whitaker are also examples of elite strikers that learned to stuff the TD.

Because the UFC created all of it's rules to tap into the collegiate wrestling demographic which nobody on earth hat yet tapped into for financial gain. They couldn't beat the PRIDE model so they did something new and much less entertaining.

pretty funny to see someone called 'Khabib Fan' make this post

grapplers ruled PRIDE too

Not to be rude, but it's extremely obvious you've never trained or even been in a high-level physical altercation.

I have no idea why in 2017, when MMA schools are plentiful (as well as schools of nearly all the individual arts that make up MMA), why people continue to theorize nonsense and avoid putting their ideas to the test, even in a limited way through training as a hobby.

Teaches you or provides you a solid base for:

1. Weight cutting
2. Athleticism (strength building, cardio)
3. Takedowns & Takedown defense
4. Positioning and ground control
5. Fundamentals of leverage, grips, and balance.

Mma is essentially fighting. The goal is to incapacitate another person as quickly and hopefully as spectacularly as possible. Bearing in mind that in fighting, in life, or in tournament, or in general, one may possibly have to fight multiple opponents on the same night or multiple opponents in an unfair fight. So how on earth is a discipline which is so boring that the Olympics flirted with cutting it out, so boring that there isn't even a professional version of it for amateurs to Segue in to (that's why hs/ college wrestlers go into mma) considered the best base.
If a boxer unleashes his/ her most damaging move on a person, that person is getting concussed, blacked out, stitches, a broken orbital, or a broken nose, broken rib, etc. all from a single move (punch). If a wrestler unleashes his/ her most damaging move, then CONGRATS, you have your shoulder blades pressed to the ground and you got pinned. Or taken down. Or back points. Or reversed. Wow that sounds damaging and scary. A freaking football tackle has more grounds to be mma worthy than wrestling moves.

Wrestling is not meant for damage. It requires a soft mat to compete in. Striking can be done on any surface. It is meant solely for damage. I get that wrestling is helpful, but how anyone can put it above boxing for fighting purposes is just ignorant and toolish.

If you had to fight an attacker w a weapon and you used wrestling, your probably getting shanked in the back while you attempt your takedown ( but at least you scored two points LOL). If you used striking and movement, the art of hit and don't get hit, you stand a much better chance of not getting hurt while doing your best to disarm the assailant.

This is why when someone goes to watch a boxing match, it's called "watchin The fights" or "going to see a prizefight". When wrestlers compete, it's called a meet. One of these things is better for fighting for several reasons.
Yeah have to disagree.
Boxed alittle in past.

It's all about body control I think.
You throw and miss and get taken down with no experience you probably aren't getting up.
And depending on the dude

1. Weight cutting
This absolutely nails it.

Some of the posters here are missing the point of the thread. I'm aware that wrestlers make good fighters. I'm aware that it's a common background of elite fighters. What I have an issue with is people claiming that restyling is a superior base compared to the striking arts for fighting, when wrestling cannot stand on its own to finish fights meanwhile boxing/ kickboxing/ juijitsu all stand alone to incapacitate an opponent.
BREAKING NEWS:
Tech falling or pinning an opponent is not finishing a fight by damage.

Wrestling as a sport in and of itself does not end fights. Any fool can slam someone, it's not as though a slam( the ONE MOVE in the discipline of wrestling which some of you are clinging to as justification that it is the preeminent base for combat sports despite the fact that wrestling ISNT EVEN A COMBAT SPORT BECAUSE DAMAGE ISNT ALLOWED IN WRESTLING. So spare me with the mention of slams as being superior to ko punches as means to end a fight. A boxer does not have to know any other sport to be considered a fighter. No wrestler by virtue of solely wrestling, can claim to be a fighter. NEXT

Mma is essentially fighting. The goal is to incapacitate another person as quickly and hopefully as spectacularly as possible. Bearing in mind that in fighting, in life, or in tournament, or in general, one may possibly have to fight multiple opponents on the same night or multiple opponents in an unfair fight. So how on earth is a discipline which is so boring that the Olympics flirted with cutting it out, so boring that there isn't even a professional version of it for amateurs to Segue in to (that's why hs/ college wrestlers go into mma) considered the best base.
If a boxer unleashes his/ her most damaging move on a person, that person is getting concussed, blacked out, stitches, a broken orbital, or a broken nose, broken rib, etc. all from a single move (punch). If a wrestler unleashes his/ her most damaging move, then CONGRATS, you have your shoulder blades pressed to the ground and you got pinned. Or taken down. Or back points. Or reversed. Wow that sounds damaging and scary. A freaking football tackle has more grounds to be mma worthy than wrestling moves.

Wrestling is not meant for damage. It requires a soft mat to compete in. Striking can be done on any surface. It is meant solely for damage. I get that wrestling is helpful, but how anyone can put it above boxing for fighting purposes is just ignorant and toolish.

If you had to fight an attacker w a weapon and you used wrestling, your probably getting shanked in the back while you attempt your takedown ( but at least you scored two points LOL). If you used striking and movement, the art of hit and don't get hit, you stand a much better chance of not getting hurt while doing your best to disarm the assailant.

This is why when someone goes to watch a boxing match, it's called "watchin The fights" or "going to see a prizefight". When wrestlers compete, it's called a meet. One of these things is better for fighting for several reasons.
1. Throwing a proper punch without gloves leads to broken hands and basically disarmament

2. Concrete makes wrestling 10x more effective

3. Why is it the best base? Because wrestlers decide where the fight takes place. A great boxer can't do shit if he's on his back and a great BJJ guy is worthless if he can't get the fight to the ground.

Last edited:
I've heard the sound of someone getting slammed into concrete outside a club. You're a stupid idiot TS and should go test out how boring wrestling is on your next night out.

1. Weight cutting

Yep. I've learned that the training necessary to become a skilled wrestler is what makes them so dangerous. I always wanted to become good at wrestling. But my joints just couldn't take and I was constantly injured. Just don't have the frame for it I suppose. That is why they have my respect.

Wrestling is not meant for damage? have you seen people getting slammed on concrete?

Dumb thread, it's considered the best base for MMA because it is the best base for MMA.
MMA isn't a street fight and the judging favours wrestlers.

Lol at people still mentioning slams as the basis to trash my post. Once again slams are not an art of wrestling people who have never fought/trained in the art of wrestling know how to slam and do slam people all the time in altercations. I'm still waiting to hear how a sport which doesn't allow damage is the best base for fighting sports

And when there's a weapon involved please tell me more about how you want your body locked onto your assailant, giving him the opportunity to shank you. Please tell me how evasive striking isn't the best method. LOL THERES A REASONTHE HIGHEST PAID ATHLETE IN THE WORLD FOR THREE YEARS IN A ROW IS A BOXER and yet there isn't a single Greco, freestyle, or other wrestler that competes in wrestling as a professional, any where near that list. LOL

LOL THERES A REASONTHE HIGHEST PAID ATHLETE IN THE WORLD FOR THREE YEARS IN A ROW IS A BOXER
Yes, the reason is that boxing is more popular because it's easier to appreciate impressive striking than grappling.

- ufc's scoring system
- you can compete at very young age
- in wrestling scene they know lot about weight cut

Wrestling is not that great in street fight, you dont know if there are more than one guy or if he is armed. If you have to strike, do it fast and move. If you get too close you harm your ability to see what is happening around you and its hard to move around. If you do not have team with you, you should move because you are easy target if you are down with somebody. There is a reason why armies fight with weapons, not with takedowns & gnp.

Lol at people still mentioning slams as the basis to trash my post. Once again slams are not an art of wrestling people who have never fought/trained in the art of wrestling know how to slam and do slam people all the time in altercations. I'm still waiting to hear how a sport which doesn't allow damage is the best base for fighting sports

Because it's optimal for rendering damage from other arts completely moot, or at least extremely ineffective, and also immediately putting yourself in an advantageous position to do damage.

You are either trolling or trying to be too clever.

Back