Why is wrestling considered by some to be the best base for mma

That's not what I said, I simply said that if one truly knows how to wrestle, they'd know why wrestling as a base is considered to be the best base for MMA, let alone the mental toughness.

Lol at you thinking wrestling takes more mental toughness than boxing. Lol at you thinking Getting punched repeatedly in the face for 36 minutes by people like George foreman is somehow not as tough as wrestling. ESPN rated boxing the hardest sport in the world for a fucking reason dude, and real obvious one. No amateur wrestler ever got beaten to death (Ray Mancini vs the Korean guy) making the Rules change from 15 Rds to 12rds. Look at wrestlers after a meet then look at boxers faces after a match and you tell me whose hurting more the next day.

Lol how stupid do you have to be to say it takes more mental strength to wrestle than to get your face rearranged by punches or go down from a liver punch.

No, you're wrong. You're quoting me and i used it to exclusively mean safety mats. This is just common sense since personal protective equipment is never considered environmental.
Yes it is, you need to look up what environmental means, it's not just the floor your falling on. It is literally everything that affects you in play. Safety is safety and mats is only one part of the entire equation.
You can wrestle on a hard floor, concrete or you can box and kick bare knuckle.
I guess you don't get what I'm trying to say. Even in wrestling they wear alot of head gear.
What I'm telling you it's all around, the definition of environment encompasses everything.

Lol at you thinking wrestling takes more mental toughness than boxing. Lol at you thinking Getting punched repeatedly in the face for 36 minutes by people like George foreman is somehow not as tough as wrestling. ESPN rated boxing the hardest sport in the world for a fucking reason dude, and real obvious one. No amateur wrestler ever got beaten to death (Ray Mancini vs the Korean guy) making the Rules change from 15 Rds to 12rds. Look at wrestlers after a meet then look at boxers faces after a match and you tell me whose hurting more the next day.

Lol how stupid do you have to be to say it takes more mental strength to wrestle than to get your face rearranged by punches or go down from a liver punch.
First of all, ESPN is bs, they rated cheerleading as a tougher sport than a lot of other sports. Second of all, I said mental toughness, not physical toughness which is what it takes to be able to get punched repeatedly (granted it takes mental toughness to get in the ring). And lastly, wrestling season goes from November through March, with wrestlers having to make weight every weekend if not twice a week and go out and perform. Find me a boxer that's willing to do that, or even so an MMA fighter. Ask former wrestlers that are currently ate active in MMA and a lot of them will tell you that wrestling is tougher.

First of all, ESPN is bs, they rated cheerleading as a tougher sport than a lot of other sports. Second of all, I said mental toughness, not physical toughness which is what it takes to be able to get punched repeatedly (granted it takes mental toughness to get in the ring). And lastly, wrestling season goes from November through March, with wrestlers having to make weight every weekend if not twice a week and go out and perform. Find me a boxer that's willing to do that, or even so an MMA fighter. Ask former wrestlers that are currently ate active in MMA and a lot of them will tell you that wrestling is tougher.

LOL WEAK. I have wrestled. I have cut weight weekly. Done it. Not fun. But I have also been in boxing gyms in NEWARK FUCKINGNJ as a white guy no less, and trained there. LOL at you even remotely comparing wrestling, to getting punched and dropped by punches on a weekly basis, in addition to cutting weight which is a part of boxing too, genius.

Boxing requires more toughness on a mental and physical level and it's not close. What the fuck are you talking about, give it up dude. Step into a boxing gym for once. You'll see what I mean.

LOL WEAK. I have wrestled. I have cut weight weekly. Done it. Not fun. But I have also been in boxing gyms in NEWARK FUCKINGNJ as a white guy no less, and trained there. LOL at you even remotely comparing wrestling, to getting punched and dropped by punches on a weekly basis, in addition to cutting weight which is a part of boxing too, genius.

Boxing requires more toughness on a mental and physical level and it's not close. What the fuck are you talking about, give it up dude. Step into a boxing gym for once. You'll see what I mean.
Try boxing in a Mexican gym in LA for seven years, I'm only speaking because I've been on both sides of the coin. And cutting weight in amateur boxing cannot be compared to wrestling, let alone the amount of times a wrestler competes and has to make weight. I'm not taking anything away from boxing, it's really tough to be a boxer. Just my opinion on both of the sports. Nonetheless wrestling is superior as a base in MMA than any other sport and it shows based on the account of the many champions current and Former that the sport has produced.

Try boxing in a Mexican gym in LA for seven years, I'm only speaking because I've been on both sides of the coin. And cutting weight in amateur boxing cannot be compared to wrestling, let alone the amount of times a wrestler competes and has to make weight. I'm not taking anything away from boxing, it's really tough to be a boxer. Just my opinion on both of the sports. Nonetheless wrestling is superior as a base in MMA than any other sport and it shows based on the account of the many champions current and Former that the sport has produced.

All things considered both sports produce tough men. But bro, how many wrestlers have brain damage, Parkinson's, slurred speech, have gone comatose from strikes to the head, have DIED IN THE HOSPITAL POST FIGHT, etc. boxing is FAR more dangerous to ones facial features and health. It's not even close. Mental toughness? Wrestlers have to worry about taking a loss instead of in boxing where a boxer has to worry about GETTING BEAT THE FUCK UP, which is often what a loss means.

And for mma, the biggest star in the history of the sport, who transcended the sport entirely, is a boxer,
And the ANTITHESIS of a wrestler. And the second biggest star in the history of the sport, who also transcended the sport is a judoka with some boxing.

Many good champions have strong wrestling. Ben askren and gaetche are my two favorite fighters. But wrestlers/ fighters with a wrestling style will always be regarded as less spectacular than strikers, gsp as the one exception. But his legacy is tarnished as being boring directly because of his wrestling. Chuck, Anderson, Conor will always be regarded as exciting, directly because of their striking style.

You sound like you have been dropped way too many times.

Probably should have used wrestling to avoid that brain damage.

I've messed with pure wrestlers a few times when rolling no-gi and it was not fun. Experienced wrestlers understand the mechanics of the body and how weight and center of gravity affect an opponents ability to attack/defend/counter from a particular position. It was really amazing to have a few experiences where literally moving my head position just slightly put that much more pressure on my opponent when they're trying to counter a movement. Ju-jitsu benefits from the same knowledge, but I don't see as much focus on that aspect vs. executing the technique a particular way to try and get to a particular result.

Couple that kind of body knowledge with explosive power, strength, and conditioning...you end up with probably the best fundamental base for any fighter to start a combat sports career.

All things considered both sports produce tough men. But bro, how many wrestlers have brain damage, Parkinson's, slurred speech, have gone comatose from strikes to the head, have DIED IN THE HOSPITAL POST FIGHT, etc. boxing is FAR more dangerous to ones facial features and health. It's not even close. Mental toughness? Wrestlers have to worry about taking a loss instead of in boxing where a boxer has to worry about GETTING BEAT THE FUCK UP, which is often what a loss means.

And for mma, the biggest star in the history of the sport, who transcended the sport entirely, is a boxer,
And the ANTITHESIS of a wrestler. And the second biggest star in the history of the sport, who also transcended the sport is a judoka with some boxing.

Many good champions have strong wrestling. Ben askren and gaetche are my two favorite fighters. But wrestlers/ fighters with a wrestling style will always be regarded as less spectacular than strikers, gsp as the one exception. But his legacy is tarnished as being boring directly because of his wrestling. Chuck, Anderson, Conor will always be regarded as exciting, directly because of their striking style.
We weren't talking about stars, or excitement, we are talking about the best fighters. MM, Garbrandt, Stipe, Woodley, DC, all wrestlers.

We weren't talking about stars, or excitement, we are talking about the best fighters. MM, Garbrandt, Stipe, Woodley, DC, all wrestlers.[/QUOTE

If you ignore the title reigns of fedor, Anderson, aldo and Holloway. And stipe and garbrandt may have wrestled but boxing is their base (golden gloves) and the style they use when they fight.

A wrestler could legit kill someone in a street fight. Clearly you've never wrestled before, but let me tell you, getting slammed hurts like hell, not to mention getting in a position to land GnP is scary as hell.

It is one of the best bases to have in mma due to the damage you can inflict from dominant positions and being able to neutralize your opponent. Seriously, go in a gym and let a solid wrestler go 100% on you and see how long you last.
A football player can legit kill someone in the street. A plumber can legit kill someone in the street. A pre-school teacher can legit kill someone in the street.

The fuck are you going on about?

It's not the best base because the damage you can inflict from dominant positions, it's the best base because you can dictate wherever the fight goes and control your opponent in various different positions. Wrestling in MMA isn't always about a TD then ground and pound. If you can't take me down and I have better stand up, you're fucked ala Chuck Liddell.

For the unified rules (or US rules), it is the best base for MMA. Since you can win a round by just laying on top of your opponent, even if the guy on bottom is more active or actually landing more strikes, there's also the option of wall n' stall that a lot of judges seem to take in consideration when scoring a round. IMO PRIDE always got it right, but that's a topic for a different discussion.

As for an street fight, I've always thought a mix of boxing/judo can be the best combination. The longer you can stay on your feet, the better.

Look at it this way
Top level - Olympic - NCAA level wrestlers who have had no previous stand up martial art training - can within a few years - still stand up and trade shots with champion karate and tkd fighters
Wonder boy Thompson couldn't ko Woodley for instance
But the reverse isn't so true
A stand-up fighter with a few years of wrestling experience would struggle to keep the fight standing
Now we get into today - where every fighter has a mix of stand up and ground
So the wrestlers can punch and the punchers can wrestle
All I can say is - look at the number 1 guy in each division in the UFC - I would say without looking maybe 7 or 8 out of 10 champions would be from a wrestling background

5 out of 8 male champions and numerous contenders have a wrestling background.

For the women it's different because fewer women wrestle, yet even then several top 10 fighters at least at BW have a wrestling background - McMann, Zingano, retired Tate, Davis and others who don't have a wrestling background still have observably good wrestling eg. Pena, Nunes (despite being known as a striker), Carmouche.

The proof is in the pudding, Gay Hugging is REAL fighting.
Never thought about it.
Basically every male champ except for Holloway has a wrestling background

giphy.gif

Well I have an experience related to this topic. My coach is a BJJ purple belt and has a great wrestling game, but he is not much of a stand up fighter. The first time we sparred under MMA rules I thought Im gonna land some solid strikes, keep him out of range and Im good to go since I have longer arms and counter punching was my bread and butter at the time.

Well this plan worked for an entire 30 seconds (approx.) until the first double leg td was executed. From that point I was literally fucked. One of my arms was always pinned down, he was able to put pressure on me from every position, not giving a single chance of escape while landing some light GnP until he got the sub.

And this was some light sparring with light GnP and I got exhausted af still. Imagine the same with full on force. Well... you can imagine the end results.

This sparring changed my entire attitude towards the importance of wrestling/bjj vs any stand up art.

Back