Why is Trump mocked for the Space Force?

Didn’t Obama propose exploration to mars? I remember people making a bunch of jokes about it too, like spoofing the chapelle show black bush skit(where he talks about going to mars). People saying Obama wouldn’t be made fun of are so full of shit lol. Also I haven’t heard anything about space force in years.. why is this even relevant.

ODS is real, lol. This thread is not about Obama yet you 2 somehow made it out to be about him. You guys need help.
Are you serious?
He asked, specifically about Obama
Go get Hooked on phonics Before you talk about who needs help

I also happen to think creating a space force was going to happen at some point. I remember not being at all surprised or upset, or felt that it was useless. In a way, it's probably a good thing for the U.S to be among the first to invest in order to maintain military superiority. So I'm not going to fault him for this, and I don't think there are that many who do. I could be wrong on that.

That said, he's hurt himself in many other ways as I mentioned above.

I'm sure, there's no shortage of things to criticize the President on. But Space Force is the beginning of a great thing. Eventually, humankind will have to find and inhabit other celestial bodies for purposes of discovery, harvesting fossil fuels, finding new places to live, etc. It's very exciting. I find space exploration fascinating and I really hope I live to see Europa being explored. That's the most likeliest place we will find life in our galaxy outside of Earth.

I'm pretty left leaning and I'm of two minds about it.

I know it's dumb to invest in a second government branch to deal with space when we have NASA, and I know it's dumb to militarize space.

I also have to acknowledge that our broken ass government will not spend money on science unless it's "military" spending, and military budgets are all but bottomless. I expect the Space Force will accomplish as much in 10 years of deep funding as NASA has in the last 20. If we declare war on a mineral rich planet in another solar system we'll achieve interstellar travel in 20 years. It's a sick and stupid, and somehow a helpful manipulation of the ways our goverment is broken.

...what did you think that expression meant?

I believe that most people, including myself, did not take that to mean "create a new military branch with an ill-defined space-fighting charter and a cartoonish name."

If Obama had created some silly galactic army unit called Galaxy Squad without any earthly (or space-ly?) idea of what it was to do, but rather as a silly publicity stunt and exercise in childish showmanship, he would have been rightfully mocked. Especially if he combined that move with sharp cuts to funding to actual scientists and experts in space exploration.
This isn’t really accurate though. It’s mission is well defined, it’s continuing the mission it already had when it was US Space Command in the Air Force. By moving it to its own branch, now there will be representation at the Joint Chiefs by people who understand space. This isn’t a newly concocted idea that came about suddenly when Trump took office, it’s been a plan in place for decades, and Space Command was created largely to consolidate the resources into one place to make the jump to a new branch. Not only did President Obama facilitate the creation of Space Force, but President Bush and Clinton did as well. It’s been a project for that long. As far as the name, it’s literally just the Air Force, but differentiating it’s new domain.

Highly doubt that it will even last very long considering it was signed via an executive order. Next Democratic POTUS will probably simply disband it or reorganize it.

The militarization of space has been something that has never been politically popular. There was good-reason why NASA was not made a branch of the military.

I think space-force is a good idea, and the time is right.

I'm surprised that the conservatives haven't thrown a hissy-fit over the logo, considering that Star Trek idealized a communist leftist society.

_110638585_untitled-132423423.jpg

I believe that most people, including myself, did not take that to mean "create a new military branch with an ill-defined space-fighting charter and a cartoonish name."

Why do you think Space force is cartoonish? Seems like it's directly derived from Air Force. Do you find Air Force to be a cartoonish name? What do you think would be a less cartoonish name? Space Navy?

Because it's being presented as another military branch. We don't need to spend money on space warfare, spend that money on NASA instead.

I feel like it's just because it's Trump

Correct. Now apply that to pretty much every single complaint against the Trump administration other than when they flame libs on twitter.

Because the only consistent political position held by the modern Left is opposition to Trump.
Same applies to the modern right. Why do people think it only works in one direction?

This.

It's so absurdly retarded.
Him and most in washington are trying to gut NASA and turn it over to their donors, Boeing, Space X etc... while then creating new pork for those contractors thru a Space Force.
and for good reason, Elon > NASA

Announcing the space force was probably my favourite thing that Trump had done.

It’s inevitably necessary, but he could of come up with a name and logo that didn’t immediately make me think an9 year old came up with it.

I’d prefer we treat space as a untied, global endeavor, but we can’t even do that with “feed kids” or “give the sick medical care”, so alas....

Trump could have avoided all the mockery if he had named the new military branch the Spacerines.

Semper Saturnus.

I'm surprised that the conservatives haven't thrown a hissy-fit over the logo, considering that Star Trek idealized a communist leftist society.

_110638585_untitled-132423423.jpg
Star Fleet did communism right. We're not there yet.

I'm looking forward to the new Netflix series BTW. Should be pretty entertaining.

Back