Why is the HW limit 265?

For HW it isnt needed. The ideal weight at HW tends to be in the 240 range. The cap is basically only there so roy Nelson wont show up at 300 pounds. It's nonsense and should be removed. If you want to fight at HW take on all comers. There's been a few big men in boxing but again most that are champs dont really push past that 265 limit. With grappling weight is more of an advantage but after a long fight not anymore. Anyone who is 206+ can KO anyone.

It prevents freakshow shit.

For example, what if Brian Shaw or Hafthor, Eddie Hall, Mark Henry, a top tier Sumo wrestler, a random freakshow, Shaq, an NFL DL wants to fight?

It isn't going to be a game / fight of skill there, the size will be so astronomically different that the Sumo guy will likely win because he's 330-350 lbs or the Mountain will win because he's 400 lbs and strong as fuck.

What if we get a Chris Jones or a prime Vince Wilfork, they sit at ~310-330 lbs and are elite athletes. With minimal training they could probably be top HWs just due to their size. Some OTs are even bigger.

So at some point it's just frankly retarded. Yes the ideal range right now is ~240 lbs, simply due to Cain/JDS/Stipe having success, but DC and Werdum also have had success and are more so 250s range I think? That range is only ideal because 265 is the cap. If 400lb guys are allowed to compete and actually have some skill and athleticism they would dominate.

And 206+ that's sort of misleading, because you're counting guys who cut to 206 who are actually ~215-230 lbs probably. Of course they are going to be able to knock out 240-250 lb guys. That's not a huge gap. But if you really meant MWs knocking out Brock Lesnar/Carwin/Overeem, maybe...but I'd doubt it way more, and we're talking about weights beyond that significantly.

Size matters

The average weight of an NFL linebacker is 248. All NFL Linebackers are very athletic. Very few starting Linebackers are over 265. If a fighter can not cut to 265 it is doubtful they can compete effectively in a full combat sport. The weight limit protects the athlete and credibility of the HW division.

This being said, I think the limit should be raised to 275 for the few outliers.

cuz, too many fat tired "athletes?" While at the same time, if there were good ones, would it be fair enough with the already huge weight difference from 206 to 265? Kinda goes both ways, until it becomes strictly gay.

If one can't make 265 pounds, one is either fat or so full of steroids that the UFC is no option either way.
(Well, or both).
Struve is 265 and has an average build if he had Ngannous frame, he would be fat or using steroids?

The average weight of an NFL linebacker is 248. All NFL Linebackers are very athletic. Very few starting Linebackers are over 265. If a fighter can not cut to 265 it is doubtful they can compete effectively in a full combat sport. The weight limit protects the athlete and credibility of the HW division.

This being said, I think the limit should be raised to 275 for the few outliers.
Doesnt sound crazy, but then 206 to 275? IDK In the end there just isn't enough heavier dudes who are good enough, so we allow the mix,but stop it at 265 where it stands.

Wrestling has 285/6 cap, so they've thought that MMA needs something similar....

It's pointless in really, in Europe and Japan there's no cap, 300+ dudes fight HWs and LWHs all the time.

This guy would be in charge.
FqsEZ85.jpg
What are the bars for???

It prevents freakshow shit.

For example, what if Brian Shaw or Hafthor, Eddie Hall, Mark Henry, a top tier Sumo wrestler, a random freakshow, Shaq, an NFL DL wants to fight?

It isn't going to be a game / fight of skill there, the size will be so astronomically different that the Sumo guy will likely win because he's 330-350 lbs or the Mountain will win because he's 400 lbs and strong as fuck.

What if we get a Chris Jones or a prime Vince Wilfork, they sit at ~310-330 lbs and are elite athletes. With minimal training they could probably be top HWs just due to their size. Some OTs are even bigger.

So at some point it's just frankly retarded. Yes the ideal range right now is ~240 lbs, simply due to Cain/JDS/Stipe having success, but DC and Werdum also have had success and are more so 250s range I think? That range is only ideal because 265 is the cap. If 400lb guys are allowed to compete and actually have some skill and athleticism they would dominate.

And 206+ that's sort of misleading, because you're counting guys who cut to 206 who are actually ~215-230 lbs probably. Of course they are going to be able to knock out 240-250 lb guys. That's not a huge gap. But if you really meant MWs knocking out Brock Lesnar/Carwin/Overeem, maybe...but I'd doubt it way more, and we're talking about weights beyond that significantly.

Size matters

Of course size matters but if you are fighting at HW guess what that should be anybody. No a sumo wouldn't do well lol watch early UFC's. Some football players could but not linemen made for 5 second bursts

I always wondered. Why no super heavyweight or just an open weight class after LHW? I would love a bulky Struve, but he would not be able to compete. Is there a reason the limit is 265? I mean,where can a huge 300 pound specimen even go to if he wants to compete in mma? I dont mean I want to see Emanuel Yarboroughs btw:)
Because they Gassed very fast pretty simple

they dont want sumo wrestlers dominating everyone because of the "aesthetic"

Of course size matters but if you are fighting at HW guess what that should be anybody. No a sumo wouldn't do well lol watch early UFC's. Some football players could but not linemen made for 5 second bursts

Idk why there is some odd thought process on Sherdog where NFL players can only move for 5 seconds then die.

Tons of HWs have terrible cardio anyway. I don't think every DL/OL would just automatically have bad cardio either. Joe Thomas is a HOF LT for the Browns, one of the best OTs ever, I'm pretty sure he runs triathlons and shit now. He is ripped now actually and lost weight, but was still an elite athlete at 310-320 lbs.

What if someone like prime Shaq wanted to compete in the UFC and actually trained for some years prior? On one hand it's unfair to him that he can't compete and I understand HW should perhaps be "absolute" weight arguably. But it's also unfair to everyone weighing 230-265 lbs and it's just stupid at that point.

There's a line crossed at some point. Otherwise do you want to see Cejudo or Garbrandt go fight GSP or Jon Jones? Because that's basically the gap in size we are talking (relative) between a Shaq / Halfthor and a Stipe, DC, or even Ngannou.

M3_YnGSVda1DFasuPM4LlsiCo7W-3s6PdA9Ce3FKMfA.jpg

An in-shape Shaq with the hobbyist BJJ he has + like 6-12 months of wrestling and striking would completely rape everyone for a decade at HW.

The weigth cut to 165 destroyed Bigfoot. The UFC needs a SHW class.

Back