Why is Sherdog okay with tapping to submissions but not tapping to strikes?

Not at high levels. It certainly isn't in high level judo, its not enough to make someone quit in high level wrestling, and I'd be surprised if it was in high level MMA. What makes high level competitors tap is the knowledge that they're being unavoidably damaged.

Now if you can show me examples of high level competitors tapping to things with no damage component - pressure points, that sort of thing, then I'll agree you're correct. But all I've seen is people tapping to things which are damaging them.
maia.gif

tapping to pain. not sure what "pressure points" can effectively be applied in an mma match.

and not sure how you differentiate the thought process behind tapping to a limb attack. you can't attribute it to only a well thought out risk assessment on how long recovery will be.

Probably because Sherdog is mostly insecure young men who mistakenly view admitting defeat as embarrassment. The only shame in losing to a superior opponent is not learning anything from it.

It's ridiculous. Shogun and GSP tried to tap to strikes that alone should make it okay.

Doesn't matter to me. They're both submission. You can get hit and tap standing up if you can't continue and I wouldn't complain.

tapping to strikes is the most embarrassing way to lose a fight.

the other fighter basically owns your soul for the remainder of your career.

/thread

Your mom giving birth to you must the most embarassing thing is her life.

People tap to strikes when they're losing consciousness. Same for chokes. The only case in which people tap to pain is for locks, when they feel the ligaments and tendons stretching. And even in that case they're tapping not because of pain, but because of the risk of being out of action for half a year.

If pain was enough to make someone tap, then all those pressure holds from traditional martial arts (which are legal in MMA) would be used all the time. Everyone would be doing aikido and kung-fu. No one at the UFC level in MMA cares about pain. Going unconscious from a choke or strikes, or broken limbs is another matter.
You're right...I forgot about armbars, kneebars, toeholds and heel hooks. Any small joint locks like finger bending are still illegal.

Then it should be "Stop. The pain is too much and it's not *worth* defending."

The only difference between the two is based on context.

You don't tap in street fights and yes both can lead to disfigurements but that's not my point. The ref is there to protect you in an MMA bout, it's common sense to tap to a submission in the cage especially after seeing a Mir or Palhares fight. Tapping to strikes on the other hand is just not being able to improve your position and not relying on the competency of the ref. If you get put in a submission in a street fight then that's a completely different ball game, whoever you're fighting isn't gonna stop breaking your limb because you've tapped, when they let go is completely at their discretion.
I don't see how getting beaten badly while trapped in a dominant position and not being able to escape is really much different from being trapped in a submission and not being able to escape. Either way the outcome is most likely you losing the fight. People have had their limbs bent every which way and managed to escape, so we can't act like being caught in a tight sub = a guaranteed finish, or that someone getting bludgeoned repeatedly and tapping is just being lazy and not doing everything they can to improve position. At least when you're in a submission you're not getting your brain rattled to the point where your equilibrium is all out of whack. In either situation you're not really in a good place to improve your position. I think you're majorly underestimating what it's like to be badly rocked and not having much opportunity to do anything without taking more damage.

Keyboard warriors doing what keyboard warriors do, acting tough from behind their computer.

GOATs don’t tap to strikes. It’s as simple as that.

I don't see how getting beaten badly while trapped in a dominant position and not being able to escape is really much different from being trapped in a submission and not being able to escape. Either way the outcome is most likely you losing the fight. People have had their limbs bent every which way and managed to escape, so we can't act like being caught in a tight sub = a guaranteed finish, or that someone getting bludgeoned repeatedly and tapping is just being lazy and not doing everything they can to improve position. At least when you're in a submission you're not getting your brain rattled to the point where your equilibrium is all out of whack. In either situation you're not really in a good place to improve your position. I think you're majorly underestimating what it's like to be badly rocked and not having much opportunity to do anything without taking more damage.
You can't really improve your position when a submission is locked in , so tapping is just acknowledging that your opponent got the better of you. If you don't tap in that situation and your arm is broken ala Mir/Big Nog, Mir/Sylvia, Saku/Renzo etc then it's just a sign of poor sportsmanship on your part and you're probably deserving of a broken limb. Tapping to strikes differs though, if you're trapped in a crucifix I can understand or in a similar predicament to Barnett when he lost his vision and didn't want to be punted full force by Cro cop but tapping the way GSP did to Serra was just an easy out for a guy that severely underestimated his opponent. That kind of tapping to strikes I strongly disagree with, kudos to you if that's how you want to go out but I don't agree with it.

For me personally, I just think it has no real life correlation. You can't be getting your ass handed to you in a street fight and be like "yup, I've had enough" and tap so they'll stop hitting you. A submission is different because it can lead to disfigurement and no one wants that. In the end though it's the fighters choice, it's their body, their career and therefore ultimately their decision.
Strikes can lead to disfigurement and CTE.

Strikes can lead to disfigurement and CTE.
Yes and fighters know this beforehand. Tapping to a joint lock is sensible because if you're locked into a submission and they break your limb your out of action for 8-12 months, if you're in a position to tap to strikes you're also in a situation where you could improve your position or worse case scenario where the ref will save you. I just think it's a bit of a front runner mentality if you're willing to kick someone's ass but will tap out before they have a chance to kick your ass.

You can't really improve your position when a submission is locked in , so tapping is just acknowledging that your opponent got the better of you. If you don't tap in that situation and your arm is broken ala Mir/Big Nog, Mir/Sylvia, Saku/Renzo etc then it's just a sign of poor sportsmanship on your part and you're probably deserving of a broken limb. Tapping to strikes differs though, if you're trapped in a crucifix I can understand or in a similar predicament to Barnett when he lost his vision and didn't want to be punted full force by Cro cop but tapping the way GSP did to Serra was just an easy out for a guy that severely underestimated his opponent. That kind of tapping to strikes I strongly disagree with, kudos to you if that's how you want to go out but I don't agree with it.
depends how hard the strikes are. when they start breaking bones in your face like jones elbows do people start tapping. that a bit like saying boxers are pussies when they can't handle the pain of a liver shot. they only way a liver shot incapacitates you is by pain, and i can guarantee elbows to the face can achieve the same level of pain.

Yes and fighters know this beforehand. Tapping to a joint lock is sensible because if you're locked into a submission and they break your limb your out of action for 8-12 months, if you're in a position to tap to strikes you're also in a situation where you could improve your position or worse case scenario where the ref will save you. I just think it's a bit of a front runner mentality if you're willing to kick someone's ass but will tap out before they have a chance to kick your ass.
Fighters know beforehand that they can get choked out too. If you're in a position where you can get your nose broken beyond repair a la Rory Macdonald, or where you're just in bottom position with your face getting pounded to dust, and you have no way of getting out, it's better to tap and save your brain health. Might be those last two strikes before the ref steps in that do the permanent damage.

I haven't seen anyone tap to strikes where he wasn't in bottom position and unable to get out. Ever been concussed?

depends how hard the strikes are. when they start breaking bones in your face like jones elbows do people start tapping. that a bit like saying boxers are pussies when they can't handle the pain of a liver shot. they only way a liver shot incapacitates you is by pain, and i can guarantee elbows to the face can achieve the same level of pain.
Body shots that break ribs or leave you incapacitated are both understandable to me, if you tap out from those it's because you won't be in a position to defend yourself properly. This wasn't the case in say GSP/Serra though, GSP underestimated a guy and was getting his ass kicked so he chose to tap rather than fight back, those are the scenarios I have a problem with. Try for a sweep, try to hit a switch, lunge for a leg, do something if you're in a position to do something.

Back