Why is Sherdog okay with tapping to submissions but not tapping to strikes?

PrideJitZoo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tap to submissions and there’s no shame but tapping to strikes and you’re on Sherdog’s shit list.

Sherdog does not allow either last time i checked

Well, tapping to submissions can be shameful.

When it’s 85lbs girl like the one who tapped TS.

I'm fine with either.

Just don't tap after you talk a bunch of sh*t and no one will really care.

It's all context.

Shogun seemingly tapped to strikes and was given very, very little minimal flack. Cause everybody loves Shogun (sounds like an E reality series about him and his family after he retires).

Joanna seemingly tapped to strikes and she was the butt of many, many jokes because people didn't like her pre-fight trash talk to Rose.

The same action but one was not worth mentioning and the other was a sign of cowardice and weakness. You can't have it both ways.

Tapping to strikes is not a problem at all in my opinion. To me it just means live to fight another day- who knows better than you when you can't come back from the beating you're taking and you are sustaining too much damage. Sometimes it's the more practical and responsible thing to no when to call it.

The thing is, the people who take absolute beatings and don't quit are rightly praised for their toughness so it ends up sort of backfiring because if someone who is getting wrecked and stays in there is praised, it almost implies that somebody in a similar situation who opts out of the fight should be criticized or derided.

And that's simply not the case.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with either just don't say you didn't tap after you clearly did

I wonder how people would have reacted to that chick Valentina fought the other day tapping to strikes.

tapping to strikes is the most embarrassing way to lose a fight.

the other fighter basically owns your soul for the remainder of your career.

/thread

Because with strikes as long as you are not knocked out cold you still have a chance to move out of the way or block the next strike and retreat or counter attack. Tapping to strikes means you are panicked and giving up. But once a submission is locked in tight there isn't much you can do to get out. Tapping to a choke or armbar .5 seconds after it is applied is giving up just like tapping to strikes. First attempt a counter and when that fails then tap.

A verbal tap to strikes while in crucifix position is different IMO.

For me personally, I just think it has no real life correlation. You can't be getting your ass handed to you in a street fight and be like "yup, I've had enough" and tap so they'll stop hitting you. A submission is different because it can lead to disfigurement and no one wants that. In the end though it's the fighters choice, it's their body, their career and therefore ultimately their decision.

I wonder how people would have reacted to that chick Valentina fought the other day tapping to strikes.

Tapping to strikes in a Mario Yamasaki reffed fight shouldn't count against a fighter.

Can't seem to find it here anymore, but back when Sherdog had its Ask the Fighters forum, somebody asked Enson Inoue why he didn't tap to strikes in his fight against Igor Vovchanchyn, where he "suffered brain swelling, a broken jaw, a burst eardrum and a concussion," from what holds up today as probably the most brutal sustained ground and pound in mixed martial arts history, as well as possibly the worst late stoppage. How did Enson, one of the hardest men in the history of one of the hardest sports, respond? It never occurred to him, and if it had, he probably would have.

A lot of people just can't seem to extract their head out of their ass when he see an opportunity to belittle a fighter they don't like. That's the whole story.

For me personally, I just think it has no real life correlation. You can't be getting your ass handed to you in a street fight and be like "yup, I've had enough" and tap so they'll stop hitting you. A submission is different because it can lead to disfigurement and no one wants that. In the end though it's the fighters choice, it's their body, their career and therefore ultimately their decision.
If someone has you in a submission in a street fight they can just as easily keep it locked in when you tap or say you've had enough; I've seen it happen, so that's not exactly a good example. And being repeatedly punched and kicked in the head can most certainly lead to disfigurement and much worse. If you're getting pounded into oblivion, you're all sorts of discombobulated to the point that you can't do much but continue taking shots while meagerly covering up, and you don't go unconscious, I don't see anything wrong in the slightest with tapping to strikes. Now if you're pulling a Sapp n' tap, and just tapping at the first sign of danger because you have a fight booked for next week and you want to be extra sure you don't get injured, THEN you're being a little biatch and not trying to fight through anything.

If you can tap to strikes, you can be trying to defend the strikes.

Can't seem to find it here anymore, but back when Sherdog had its Ask the Fighters forum, somebody asked Enson Inoue why he didn't tap to strikes in his fight against Igor Vovchanchyn, where he "suffered brain swelling, a broken jaw, a burst eardrum and a concussion," from what holds up today as probably the most brutal sustained ground and pound in mixed martial arts history, as well as possibly the worst late stoppage. How did Enson, one of the hardest men in the history of one of the hardest sports, respond? It never occurred to him, and if it had, he probably would have.

A lot of people just can't seem to extract their head out of their ass when he see an opportunity to belittle a fighter they don't like. That's the whole story.
Was the ref Japanese? IIRC Japanese refs will let Japanese fighters get pounded to hell without stopping it because in Japan fighting spirit is deadly serious. They're a small nation so their safety is (or was) dependent on other countries expecting a dog fight if they try to conquer them.

they are okey, they are not okey when they don't like certain fighters or fighters are in 'goat' discussion, opinions about fighters are often not based on their ability to fight, but on their physical attractiveness, prefight antics, gender etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back