Why is it that personal trainers stay in shape into old age, but ex-fighters don't?

Mr. Coe is a MT guy

The reason for each person is going to be totally different, i would guess that in most cases where athletes gain alot of weight after they retire is because they are just tired of the brutal training that they have been doing for most of their lives so they cut back on it.

Also alot of these fighters are big guys, and cut down alot of weight to fight so when you see them they look the smallest they are going to be. When i met Joe Stevenson the guy was about 190 - 195, and i bet when he retires and trains less or at all he'll easily break 2 bills. If he tops out at say 215 that doesn't mean he gained 60lbs since he retired it's more like 20lbs which isn't much when people age.

I think for the most part when a fighter retires they don't feel the need to train for anything. The motivation of a fighter is different than that of a person just looking to stay in shape, they train to excel at their given sport. Take that sport away and what do they have to train for?

No you quit training cause you couldn't hack it wether you realize it or not you can say what you want about it tearing up your body but that's not true there was some external reasoning wether you admit it or not.

Unless you can back the facts up please don't state them

This really pisses me off right here.

Ban this stupid fuck please.

What.

Training in Thailand all of my trainers had 200+ fights, none of them hobbled around or showed any sign of being ruined from their careers.

Abuse of running screws up your knees?

"In 2006, Dr. Fries presented research that compared rates of OA-related disabilities between 539 runners and 423 nonrunners over a 21-year period. At the follow-up exam, researchers found that the nonrunners were worse for wear--their increase in disabilities was twice that of the runners.

The runners in Dr. Fries's study averaged about 60 minutes of running five days a week. But even higher-mileage runners don't seem to risk bad knees. A 2006 study conducted at Germany's University of Heidelberg looked at the incidence of OA among elite marathon runners. After comparing 20 former elite German marathoners with a control group of nonrunners of the same age, gender, and body mass index, the researchers found that the marathoners did not have a higher risk of OA of the knee."

Oh wow, a study...

I can show you a study that says that drinking whole milk leads to weight loss.

Yes, running long distance damages your knees. If you say otherwise, you're a fucking idiot and you don't know shit.

As for Thais getting over 200 fights: Thanks for the news, I didn't know that. I live under a rock and don't get out much. How many Thai boys grow up fighting competitively, get 200+ fights, then are retired by age 25?

Answer: A lot of them.

Each person is different, but you have to understand that certain conditioning tools are necessary and beneficial to sustain you in combat sports, but the process is not beneficial to your body in the long run.

You've apparently not trained full time for a few years in a row, or else you'd probably agree with me.

Please tell me how checking kicks with your shins is healthy for your leg. I'll be waiting for your answer, so go ahead and explain that one.

I'm wondering if Ramon Dekkers agrees with you?

Lets see personal trainers need to stay in shape to get more people to come to their sessions. Fighters get people to come to their session based on their record. It doesn't matter how fat or in shape a fighter is as long as he knows how to fight.

End of thread. Trainers' physiques are billboards for their livelihoods. Fighters prove what they can do on the mat or in the ring.

This really pisses me off right here.

Ban this stupid fuck please.

stfu and back up what you say, give some examples, some studies something instead of whining like a bitch.

Ken Shamrock is still fighting, Randy Coutore is still kicking my BJJ instructor's been doing jitz around 15-20 years and is healthy my friends a brown belt and been training MMA consistently for 10 years and is in great shape.

I'm not saying MMA is easy but it is a sport and any sport is hard on your body but if you take care of it (vitamins, eating right, sleep, stretching, joint support) your fine.

Don't say you quit cause it was hard on your body you quit for other reasons prbably couldn't hang..... can't call for a ban in real life you vag.

stfu and back up what you say, give some examples, some studies something instead of whining like a bitch.

Ken Shamrock is still fighting, Randy Coutore is still kicking my BJJ instructor's been doing jitz around 15-20 years and is healthy my friends a brown belt and been training MMA consistently for 10 years and is in great shape.

I'm not saying MMA is easy but it is a sport and any sport is hard on your body but if you take care of it (vitamins, eating right, sleep, stretching, joint support) your fine.

Don't say you quit cause it was hard on your body you quit for other reasons prbably couldn't hang..... can't call for a ban in real life you vag.

Yeah,but we're talking retired ex fighters here. Those guys haven't retired.

I don't see why we have all the confusion here. Most ex fighters stop training, hence the deterioration of their physical state. Those who keep training as they age, retain their fitness.

I don't see why we have all the confusion here. Most ex fighters stop training, hence the deterioration of their physical state. Those who keep training as they age, retain their fitness.

Yeah not sure why that isn't obvious to everyone....

Most of the responses just need to be compiled into a blanket response.

"Ex-Fighters"(as referred to by the OP) have burnt out, left due to injury, retired and had nothing to prove, or never watched what they ate to begin with.

The athletic conditioning for combat sports is miles different from what the average gym rat puts themselves through. They get punched, kicked, kneed, elbowed, hyper-extended, manipulated, rotated, and discombobulated. The amount of punishment the body takes during training is intense and insane by most rational standards.

Eventually, these people begin to associate their workouts with pain and suffering. It's a psychological aversion that might develop. When they are 'done' with fight-training, they're done period. Fighters who took it to the next level did not 'go for a light jog just to get the heart-rate up', so they're generally not vegan hippie health-food junkies to begin with.

A "Healthy Diet" for a fighter is probably 4000+ calories per training day. When you decide that you don't want to train so hard anymore, but you would still be interested in all of the food, different things happen.

TL;DR - FIGHTING is why Fighter's stay in shape. Most Fighter's don't care for their 'physique' once FIGHTING is done.

Fighters don't usually stay in shape even during their prime, only when they have to train for fights. Personal trainers stay in shape 24/7 because that's their job....

Idiot

What about ****bolism? I've heard fluctuation in weight can royally screw up ones ability to properly burn fat. But like everyone else said, the major reason is because most pro athletes do a life time of training in 20 years every day of their lives and when they retire they retire. I'm sure some still work out and this doesn't apply to everyone but i can see why one wouldnt really wanna jump on a treadmill everyday after doing intense exercises every day for their entire lives.

What about ****bolism? I've heard fluctuation in weight can royally screw up ones ability to properly burn fat. But like everyone else said, the major reason is because most pro athletes do a life time of training in 20 years every day of their lives and when they retire they retire. I'm sure some still work out and this doesn't apply to everyone but i can see why one wouldnt really wanna jump on a treadmill everyday after doing intense exercises every day for their entire lives.

Have you ever been to a health club in the middle of the day, and noticed the personal trainers and people who work there at that time? You see a lot of them who are in their 40's and 50's, and they are still in incredible shape.

And then when you go to these boxing gyms or martial arts studios, the teachers/coaches who used to be actual fighters are all fat and out of shape. The only exercise they get anymoe is holding pads or whatever.

Why is that? Is it because the ex-fighter's bodies are so beaten up from years of fighting in their youth, and they can't workout anymore? Is it because they got burnt out from having to lose so much weight for weigh-ins all the time? Is it because they can't get that adreniline from fighting anymore, so any exercise that's less intense is just boring to them now?

Here's another thought: I notice that almost ALL of the contempory fighters that I know (that currently compete) drink beer, smoke, eat junk food. They just rely on the workouts and their fast ****bolisms to get them in fighting shape. When they are older and don't fight anymore, they're going to look like all those teachers and coaches who are fat and out of shape now.

Why do so many fighters smoke and drink, though? Are other professional athletes from other sports like that? What is it about fighting that makes stuff like that so acceptable? I for one eat really healthy and don't smoke or drink, because I know it will ruin my performance in the gym the next day.

Id say its this
Personal trainers and bodybuilders whant to look good and stay in shape.

While fighters get in shape becauase they love to fight.I bet most of them arnt bothered about there health, they just keep healthy so they can last rounds and win fights.

Also I bet allot of fighters love drinking as well I know a few amatures who still get drunk and party.ricky hatton also enjoys drinking.

What about old Kung Fu sifus? Do they stay in shape? I've probably just seen too many movies, but I always think of these old masters who may be old, but they stay lean and healthy, and their technique is sharper than ever. Is it really like that in China, or are all those Kung Fu masters fat and burnt out on training, too?

Winner:
Sonny via Common fucking Sense in the third round.

To the question at hand it's a personal choice not a matter of ex fighter and pt's it's like saying gas is up due to the orange crop being large, you can't compare the two and you are making a BROAD generalization.

Either a person makes a commitment to life long fitness or they don't. Most trainers I know are in good shape as well. It's person to person not field of work to field of work.

Back