Why is it ok in MMA to turn around and run while in boxing it gets booed?

Most of the fans are drunk and have no idea what to do if they were in the octagon. If it works and is legal, do it.

if someone is shooting for your legs and you get an opening to break away,i would probably just take it instead of worryin about what sherdoggers think of it

this.

obligatory if it wasn't posted
754439133.gif

I was going to bring up Florian running away from Sherk so hard that he sprinted into the ring post, but this is probably better.

The new rules don't allow you to kick or knee your downed opponent for his failed take-down attempt, so the only option is to create space by "running". Jones could have kept crawling after Gus and there would have been nothing he could legally do about it.

Well it's the same way counter fighting in boxing seen as being technical and a great boxer while in MMA you're called running away and failing to engage.

I should just edit that instead of replying to people, I guess..

The basic point was, if Jones had been the one ''running'', he would have a much higher flame to defender ratio.

(I did overlook the Rampage fight though when I made that post)

Indeed, Jones got flamed more, but that's, IMO, 'cos of how desperate he looked when Gus "ran" from him. Gus didn't look to be running so much as he was getting out of the way of an outclassed opponent who was desperately attempting to fall on him.
Whereas against Rampage, Jones was avoiding an opponent who wanted to engage.

Besides, Jones did finally manage to get Gus down when Gus was at his weakest, and Gus still managed to simply slide out from under him.

ETA: I don't think Jones should have simply stood around and let Rampage blast him at all, but he did look to be the desperate one on both occasions.

I have yet to see anyone "turn and run" in an MMA fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7--faUnamk

There you go.

Turning your back to an opponent for more than an instant is not smart in any combat sport.

Back