Why is it ok in MMA to turn around and run while in boxing it gets booed?

also for those bringing up condit,if you study nick diaz's past fights (the Cyborg fight in particular) his defense to leg kicks is poor,and his footwork is non existent. If there is an easy to beat someone without taking damage yourself,go for it. the fight wasnt the knockout drag out war we expected it to be but blame diaz for having such a huge gaping obvious hole in his game

Exactly, it's not Condit's fault Nick has a gaping hole. How could Carlos resist exploiting it over and over again?

Last edited:
Exactly, it's not Condit's fault Nick has a gaping hole. How could Carlos resist taking exploiting it over and over again?

:icon_lol:

had to know that was comin

Gus should get taken down to appease your subjective fight ethics?

If Jones ever turned and sprinted from an opponent like that he'd be flamed. (see: below)
Gus did it, and it's cool because he 'just wanted to bang'..

(I don't see a problem with a quick jog and reset, just pointing out the obvious double standard)

EDIT: Thanks for pointing it out that it has happened, and he was flamed for it. I forgot about the Rampage fight.

You see, now why didn't you ACTUALLY watch some of Jones' fights before you said this? I've only seen the Rampage vs Jones once and I can easily remember the eye poking and Jones running away like an 11 year old school girl. I mean Gus ran but Jones was Usain Bolt world record worthy.

Somehow his fans always forget this though and end up embarrassing themselves...

lol @ Gus "running." He was avoiding Jones' takedown by moving away from the cage. Just like Condit didn't want to let Diaz trap him against the cage and would throw a few punches and move out. It's very difficult to outright run away from your opponent in a locked cage. Unless you're completely disengaging and running away at every sign of offense from your opponent.

also for those bringing up condit,if you study nick diaz's past fights (the Cyborg fight in particular) his defense to leg kicks is poor,and his footwork is non existent. If there is an easy to beat someone without taking damage yourself,go for it. the fight wasnt the knockout drag out war we expected it to be but blame diaz for having such a huge gaping obvious hole in his game

I don't know if this was directed at me, but I only brought up Condit as an example because he got bashed on here for that fight. I have no problem with how Condit fought Diaz. I have no problem with Gus "running" to escape Jones TD. I have no problem with Jones "running" to avoid that one exchange with Rampage. None of those were anything like Starnes against Quarry, for example.

I don't know if this was directed at me, but I only brought up Condit as an example because he got bashed on here for that fight. I have no problem with how Condit fought Diaz. I have no problem with Gus "running" to escape Jones TD. I have no problem with Jones "running" to avoid that one exchange with Rampage. None of those were anything like Starnes against Quarry, for example.

i was making a general statement to people pissed off about condits tactics

It's funny you say that, because the other day, I was thinking about how limited your output may be in Boxing, but no one is complaining about fighting safe. There are many conservative boxers that people can appreciate, while MMA fans bash them for being "boring". Imagine someone who fights like Floyd in MMA, with anywhere near the level of boxing skills (and all the other skills of course), but never finished. He'd be scrutinized and booed to death.

i was making a general statement to people pissed off about condits tactics

General Statement.

tumblr_lua4lo1z1u1r66ge7o1_500.gif

Agreed that it looks bad, but this is a fight not a pugilist bout. That being said, bring on the wec sized cages plz.

Realistically though, if you choose to run in MMA to avoid your opponent, you are putting yourself at risk for burning out a lot of energy and forcing yourself to gas later on, so it isn't something that is done often unless the fighter is put in a bad position and has no choice but to move quickly or be taken down or KO'd.

its most frowned upon in knockdown... you can lose half points for it especially if you go off mat

You see, now why didn't you ACTUALLY watch some of Jones' fights before you said this? I've only seen the Rampage vs Jones once and I can easily remember the eye poking and Jones running away like an 11 year old school girl. I mean Gus ran but Jones was Usain Bolt world record worthy.

Somehow his fans always forget this though and end up embarrassing themselves...

Why would I have to rewatch Jones' fights to make a blanket statement about people hating on everything he does, and praising others when they do the same? Oh yeah, because obvious haters such as your self are willing to pick at absolutely anything to try to put people down. Too bad for you, what I said was true; if Jon did what Gus did he'd be flamed, and Gus will be defended.

Guess what you're doing right now..

both of those things.. :redface:

Thanks so much for doing nothing but prove my point, btw. It's like you were trying to make yourself look like a fool with that post.. Cheers. :cool:

Because MMA has takedowns, elbow, knees, etc and is not boxing.

It's booed in boxing because the guy isn't using it to break free from a clinch or takedown. It's frowned upon in wrestling because they're supposed to be grappling, and aren't going to strike in case they stay up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back