Why is horseradish the only food that burns your nostrils?

Mother Nature makes certain things taste unpleasant because you're not supposed to eat it. The next question is why.

Just saw another article listing many unknown brands of cinnamon that should be thrown away due to way too much lead contamination. First dark chocolate, now cinnamon.

Nice try, but wasabi is a type of horseradish too.

You can eat everything from jalapenos to ghost peppers and no matter how hot it is, it only burns your mouth (and later, your poor innocent anus).

So how the fuck does horseradish burn your nose? And why don't we eat anything else that does this?

Also, JK about your anus. I know it's not innocent
You've clearly never had what I call "mustard nose" from Colmans English Mustard.

I've made homemade horseradish and it's one of the most brutal experiences of my life... Like being subtly bear maced...

There's some vinegary items that are sharped, not sure they "burn" nostril tho...

Nice try, but wasabi is a type of horseradish too.

You can eat everything from jalapenos to ghost peppers and no matter how hot it is, it only burns your mouth (and later, your poor innocent anus).

So how the fuck does horseradish burn your nose? And why don't we eat anything else that does this?

Also, JK about your anus. I know it's not innocent
Wrong. Horseradish, wasabi, cabbage, etc. are from the same group. But, wasabi is not a type of horseradish.

Mustard also exists by the way.

The really spicy Mustard does that too.
Its the same component that is also present in Horseradish.

You will get burns in your nostril if you chew a large amount of raw garlic.

Most spicy food we eat gets its spice from capsaicin, which is in peppers. FOr peppers its a defense against animals. Capsaicin is a stable alkaloid at room temp and hydrophobic, so when its in your mouth it only spreads with saliva.

Horseradish is different. Horseradish, mustard, and wasabi produce 2 agents that are harmless: a chemical called sinigrin, and an enzyme myrosinase. They're separate in the plant but when the plant is damaged (ie chewed) they mix. The result of the mix is mustard oil.

Mustard oil gets in the mucous membranes, which react in the same way they react to capsaicin. But at the same time, it interacts with cells in your mucous membranes differently thats why it acts as in irritant.

Plus mustard oil is volatile at room temp, and evaporate in the heat of your mouth. So when it evaporates in your mouth, it spreads through your membranes. But its also why it dissipates quickly as opposed to eating a hit pepper and it stays with you.

Side note, thats also why mustard gas stings your face and sinuses. So eating horseradish is sort of like a mini dose of mustard gas.
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8 (1).jpg

Franks red hot does it to me. When i marinade wings, even the bowl makes my nostrils burn and eyes tear.

I all seriousness, back in college I dated a girl that lived above a deli. Im going down- town one night and I swear it's reminiscent of Horse radish. I have had worse so I kept going. Turns out the Deli was famous for a horseradish on roast beef and garlic bread hero. This stuff was coming out her wizard sleeve!

Back