Why is everyone so hung up on Frank Mir?

None of that matters. You said "Barnett is more skilled than anyone Mir beat." Mir has a victory over Cro Cop while Barnett lost to him 3 times. That is a fact. Which means what you said is incorrect at the end of the day, because Barnett is not more skilled than Cro Cop.

The ironic part is that Frank Mir is actually far more skilled than anyone Barnett has beat. Who is the most skilled person Barnett beat you ask? Big Nog.

Are you dense? Cro-Cop wasn't the same fighter and wasn't as skilled against Mir was he was against Barnett. Please, utilize your brain.

Fight mileage and numerous intangibles filter into being a good fighter. Careers are static, not stagnant. Things do change.

Those are opinions. I'm stating facts.

Is this fight finally official then? Last i heard it was just Cormier who wanted to fight Mir for his first fight in the UFC.

Also:

frank-mir-headphones.gif

Mir > Nog > CroCop >>>>>>>>>> Barnett

I do not want to see Mir vs DC, I want to see Mir vs Barnett.

Barnett hasn't had a relevant victory in years. To discredit Mir then praise Barnett shows your deluded bias.

Barnett has been fighting way better competition in his overall career and to be fair, he did beat tough guys in Sergei and Rogers (who you could say were good matchups for him).

I really like Mir, if nothing else than his brilliant camera work, he interviews and analyses really well, better than most.
As a fighter I really like him, I like the way he's evolved his game to try to keep up with the newer fighters in the UFC, bring in better standup/striking etc.
But after the JDS fight, I think it's looking like the road is coming to an end. I can see Mir suffering more loses than wins and maybe he should start to look as more work in the outside of the cage rather than inside.
Cain, Cormier, Overeem are all guys I think would beat Mir, JDS has already beat Mir, so it's going to be hard for him to get near the title anytime soon anyway. A UFC legend, but all good things have to come to an end eventually.

If you say facts are opinions, then state your fact is a fact, then nobody will take you seriously.

Mir has beaten Cro Cop and Barnett lost to him 3 times. How is this an opinion?

While saying so and so time was during a fighters prime and during so and so time is when they were out of their prime, how is this not an opinion?

Please, I'd love to know.

Mir has beaten Cro Cop and Barnett lost to him 3 times. How is this an opinion?

While saying so and so time was during a fighters prime and during so and so time is when they were out of their prime, how is this not an opinion?

Please, I'd love to know.

It's an opinion that Cro-Cop beat Barnett in his prime and lost to Mir out of it?

:icon_lol:

Mir has way more experience, and is a big strong guy. Granted, Cormier has a better wrestling pedigree, but look at how well that worked out for Lesnar in their first fight.

A co-worker and I were talking about Mir, Jones and Cormier earlier. We were of differing opinions to say the least. He was excited about Cormier coming to the UFC HW division and tearing sh*t up.

I don't see Cormier and Velasquez getting too excited about facing each other. Cormier wants Mir and then Jones, and I suggested to my co-worker that facing Mir before Jones could do more harm than good.

He comes over, loses to Mir... DW will be a lot harder pressed to just give Cormier a LHW title shot at Jones. At 230lbs, I think Cormier could make LHW with little difficulty, and would be a big, strong LHW come fight night. I don't think DW would hesitate to offer Cormier an immediate shot at Jones, and taking the fight with Mir first is a risk that could backfire.

I understand Mir is hit or miss at times, but when he's on his game, he's dangerous. There's no doubt that Cormier could put Mir on his back, but if Mir gets a hold of a limb, he'll have no hesitation to break it. I may be in the minority, but I think Cormier will have a lot more difficulty with Mir than he believes, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Mir win.

In my opinion, Cormier has a much easier time beating Jones than Mir.

It's an opinion that Cro-Cop beat Barnett in his prime and lost to Mir out of it?

:icon_lol:

If that's the case, I could make a point that since Mir's bike accident, maybe he hasn't been in his prime since? We would never know, and could never prove it, thus arguing points of primes/past primes is useless when dealing with these sort of hypothetical skill matchups of fighters rather than use the facts that are available.

Mir gets soooooo much undeserved hate on Sherdog it's ridiculous. the mans resume in the HW division extremely good and he has consistently been a top 10 fighter throughout his career, save the injury period and his first fights after it. Mir is a legend and should be treated as such.

If that's the case, I could make a point that since Mir's bike accident, maybe he hasn't been in his prime since? We would never know, and could never prove it, thus arguing points of primes/past primes is useless when dealing with these sort of hypothetical skill matchups of fighters rather than use the facts that are available.

That's possible, but the fact is that Mir's best wins are against over-the-hill competition, far beyond their primes.

A lot of people do not like Mir's attitude but a top talent for sure. He has weaknesses like all fighters but I never count him out. I agree that cormier is a bad stylistic matchup but Mir has pulled out fights that people thought he would lose.

Mir holds wins over 4 for UFC/Pride champions (Sylvia, Lesnar, Cro Cop, Big Nog x 2) he is top 10 all time and would be the toughest fight of Cormier's career IMO.......silly thread.

Back