Why is everyone so hung up on Frank Mir?

2 time UFC hw champion. Wins over 4 former or current UFC champions and the PRIDE grand prix winner. Only man ever to submit Nogueira or Lesner both top grapplers in their fields. Has the most UFC hw wins,fights, and finishes. Is a world class BJJ black belt under Roberto Pires. Had Mir never broken his leg we might be talking about him as the greatest UFC hw of all time and he is still in that discussion. He may have gotten 2 undeserved title fights but both times there was no one better to give the shot to. It's like when people rag on Faber for getting undeserved title fights... what he's going to say no?

You didn't refute any of my points. Nobody's saying that he should be turning down title fights, but a lot of those stats you list are precisely because he constantly getting opportunities. Why does JDS have to literally smoke the entire division before he gets a title fight, but Mir subs Hardonk and noob Lesnar (after Lesnar was beating his ass) and it's "hey look title fight"? Beats Kongo and "hey I get another title fight." And then he always gets lit up in the title fights. Three title fights in a row now Mir has gotten molested. And by 3 different guys nonetheless. Name another fighter that has gotten torched in title fights as much as Mir. Kenny Florian? And look at the ladder Florian had to climb to get back in #1 contender spot.

You didn't refute any of my points. Nobody's saying that he should be turning down title fights, but a lot of those stats you list are precisely because he constantly getting opportunities. Why does JDS have to literally smoke the entire division before he gets a title fight, but Mir subs Hardonk and noob Lesnar (after Lesnar was beating his ass) and it's "hey look title fight"? Beats Kongo and "hey I get another title fight." And then he always gets lit up in the title fights. Three title fights in a row now Mir has gotten molested. And by 3 different guys nonetheless. Name another fighter that has gotten torched in title fights as much as Mir. Kenny Florian? And look at the ladder Florian had to climb to get back in #1 contender spot.

I second this entire post. Great post.

Back