Why is everyone overlooking yoel romero?

He's a dangerous matchup for Souza. Giving him any more credit than that in the division is overrating him.

He'd never beat Weidman, Machida, or Rockhold. Not on his life.

Just because someone is thinking it's Jacare's fight in this one, doesn't mean we're overlooking Romero. It's just not his time yet and he'll get back to a title eliminator soon enough.

Liking one guy over another isn't always because we dislike the other. Sometimes it's just one guy's time to shine.

Because Dana doesn't want you to know who he is. He just wants you to know Anderson will get a title shot if he beats 170lb Nick Diaz and the rest of the 185 division are a bunch of nobodies he can't make a nickel out of. What a great promoter.

cause he gases and jacarce is coming for the belt

no one wants to look at the bacon strips in his pants

Don't mind people here, the same ones who need any, if just slightly resembling a rumor, to hate someone or dislike someone.

Yoel will most likely dominate Jacare and get the decision or knockout at the end.

People like to say that he was taken down by Brunson, and while it is true, he never had any respect for people's wrestling in the first place. He actually respected it after that, himself said he implemented his wrestling ability AFTER Brunson's fight. His last two performances were a huge testament of that. Also, don't disregard or flinch at the people who say he has a bad chin; he has one of the biggest neck muscles to keep it in place: got rocked numerous time with knockout shots by Kennedy and still held up, and he ate shin kick at the back of the head by Brunson like it was nothing. Gassing is another thing that gets thrown around, yet all his opponents were also gassed struggling with the beast Yoel is, but, in the end, they couldn't keep up with him and got knocked out.

I really like him because of his unique movement and ability, his attitude and his constant adversity from, let's be honest, not even close to smart mma fans.

You may find posts about his shorts and his stool. It might be his corner at fault for keeping the stool up, but it was not his. I bet he didn't understand what was going on, then John stepped in screaming about the vasaline. Again, don't expect people to care, they will better fling their hormone driven hypocrisy than take a moment of unbiased consideration.

He's a bit long in the tooth and relatively inexperienced. His chin is a bit suspect and his MMA wrestling isn't as good as you would expect given his credentials. His ground game is also a big question mark. And also, Jacare is just really fucking good. He took down and tapped Matt Lindland who won a silver medal in wrestling at the Olympics.

Don't mind people here, the same ones who need any, if just slightly resembling a rumor, to hate someone or dislike someone.

Yoel will most likely dominate Jacare and get the decision or knockout at the end.

People like to say that he was taken down by Brunson, and while it is true, he never had any respect for people's wrestling in the first place. He actually respected it after that, himself said he implemented his wrestling ability AFTER Brunson's fight. His last two performances were a huge testament of that. Also, don't disregard or flinch at the people who say he has a bad chin; he has one of the biggest neck muscles to keep it in place: got rocked numerous time with knockout shots by Kennedy and still held up, and he ate shin kick at the back of the head by Brunson like it was nothing. Gassing is another thing that gets thrown around, yet all his opponents were also gassed struggling with the beast Yoel is, but, in the end, they couldn't keep up with him and got knocked out.

I really like him because of his unique movement and ability, his attitude and his constant adversity from, let's be honest, not even close to smart mma fans.

You may find posts about his shorts and his stool. It might be his corner at fault for keeping the stool up, but it was not his. I bet he didn't understand what was going on, then John stepped in screaming about the vasaline. Again, don't expect people to care, they will better fling their hormone driven hypocrisy than take a moment of unbiased consideration.

wow, that is the best response I have read all night. You gave a nice in-depth analysis on why Yoel is a true contender. Thanks man

and he ate shin kick at the back of the head by Brunson like it was nothing.
That was a misleading angle/commentary. The kick actually landed on his back/shoulder, not his head. That's why he ate it like it was nothing. Because obviously a kick to the back/shoulder's not going to rock you.

YoelRomero1.gif

Look closely at where the kick actually lands people. If it was to the head, it's probably a KO.

Yoel is no contender here. The guy has one fight against anyone in the top 10 of the middleweight division where he looked marginal until a Tim Boetsch like comeback got him out of hot water. Let's not act like he's a world beater because he pulled off the upset when the chips were down. Could he win the fight with Jacare? Sure. He's got the skillset to pose problems. But let's not act like he's Mousasi or Lombard just yet.

Edit: lol at the guy claiming a "large neck muscle" is going to keep anyone from being knocked out in this sport. How'd that work out for Mike Tyson, Alistair Overeem, Mike Bernardo, Bob Sapp, Houston Alexander, etc etc etc. Having a "big neck" doesn't keep you from getting knocked out, what keeps you from getting knocked out is proper technique, good defense, and proper fight IQ(IE how you react when you get rocked in the first place).

Last edited:
I think most people acknowledge that romero is one of the best athletes in the middleweight division. However, he seems to still be adjusting to mma, as seen by his somewhat lackluster mma wrestling. He still has time to challenge for the title but i think jacare is too experience and will capitalize on yoel's biggest question mark (ground game).

I hate it when people use the excuse that a certain fighter will allow himself to be taken down because he does not fear his opponent's wrestling. Too bad that sometimes a single takedown can be the key difference in winning (or not winning) a particular round or fight altogether. I don't buy that argument at all. It's just a not-so-clever way to try to disguise a glaring fault.

Romero only weathered the storm of Kennedy because he was saved by the bell. Kennedy is not exactly a world beater in the striking department either.

Yoel is no contender here. The guy has one fight against anyone in the top 10 of the middleweight division where he looked marginal until a Tim Boetsch like comeback got him out of hot water. Let's not act like he's a world beater because he pulled off the upset when the chips were down. Could he win the fight with Jacare? Sure. He's got the skillset to pose problems. But let's not act like he's Mousasi or Lombard just yet.

Yes, let's not act like he's equal to the guy he's ranked higher than at MW.

Yes, let's not act like he's equal to the guy he's ranked higher than at MW.

Yeah because Mousasi didn't spend four and a half years outside the division or anything... He was only off beating heavyweights and winning a major title at 205lbs, no biggie. A long hiatus and tough stylistic matchups upon returning will do that ranking wise.

Tough fight to call. Jacare struggled with Carmont and Yoel is better than Carmont in every way.

I hate it when people use the excuse that a certain fighter will allow himself to be taken down because he does not fear his opponent's wrestling. Too bad that sometimes a single takedown can be the key difference in winning (or not winning) a particular round or fight altogether. I don't buy that argument at all. It's just a not-so-clever way to try to disguise a glaring fault.

Romero only weathered the storm of Kennedy because he was saved by the bell. Kennedy is not exactly a world beater in the striking department either.

This. Also, it's entirely contrary to the entire mindset of a guy who has devoted himself to wrestling. Getting taken down in his native sport is not something he'd just "allow" to happen for a lack of respect, especially since it means as much, and probably more in the sport he's ingrained into his instincts over the last twenty years or so. If he was able to stuff the takedowns he would have stuffed the takedowns.

Back