Why is Anderson Silva so great?!

Noone has done what Jones did in the time he did it in. I hate Jones but his greatness can't be denied. Neither can his affectation.

In time, you may be right. All I'm saying is that this is MMA, and it's far too early to say.

MMA fans are so impatient; they're like mayflies.

to beat Silva you must completely disrespect him and believe it before the fight[/QUOTE said:
Having a spiked bat may help as well, but even then you better not miss that first swing or else you're fucked

Funny how everyone forgets how worldbeaters like Takase and Chonan made Anderson tap. Chonan can be written off as a hail mary fluke (although Anderson wasn't exactly winning before then either), but Takase textbook owned him.

Funny how everyone forgets how Dan Henderson dominated him in the first round.

Funny how everyone forgets how Lutter easily mounted him and made him look helpless (although he gassed soon after like he always does).

Funny how Maia outstruck him in the last 2 rounds of their fight. You know, the guy Marquardt took out in 20 seconds flat. Anderson hit Maia a few hundred times and couldn't even come remotely close to a finish. Maia won that fight under PRIDE rules.

Funny how terrified Anderson was to get anyone near worldbeater Leites on the ground.

Funny how Chael Sonnen made Anderson look like a little child for 5.5 of their 7 rounds together. You know, the guy who couldn't even make it out of the first round against Maia.

Anderson Silva will never be great as long as he hides several weight classes below his natural weight and keeps on ducking JJ (or any top ranked HWs).

JJ has never looked anywhere near as bad as Anderson has, and it would still be a stretch to call JJ great (although another few wins and he's there).

fear. okami looked beastly- but while in the A.silva fight, he looked like a cat in headlights

Last edited:
on paper Anderson looks better. but if you think about it, Jones has already defeated 5 former UFC champions, while anderson has only defeated 2

edit: actually anderson defeated 3. forgot about belfort. so yeah theyre pretty close in accomplishment

Anderson has held the belt for so long that there aren't a lot of former champions for him to beat up on.

Funny how Maia outstruck him in the last 2 rounds of their fight. You know, the guy Marquardt took out in 20 seconds flat. Anderson hit Maia a few hundred times and couldn't even come remotely close to a finish. Maia won that fight under PRIDE rules.

bahahahahahah i stopped reading after this? you are serious?

You're wrong.

Shields, Fitch and Condit are better than Forrest, Rich or Victor; it isn't close. Just look at what these guys have done in their own divisions. I'm not saying they (F, R & V) aren't great fighters because they are, but they didn't carry the insane momentum into their fights that S, F & C did. Those guys were dominating in their own division for years.

Hughes is a better win than anyone Anderson has ever beaten; he was so good people are STILL arguing he could be the Welterweight GOAT.

This has been argued a thousand time, but it's the one area where GSP is clearly ahead. His strength of schedule is second to none.

I actually took you seriously at first but I don't anymore. And the only reason Jones might not surpass Anderson in 1 or 2 yrs is because he's cleaned out the most stacked division in MMA, which is more than I can say for Anderson, who fought in a much weaker division.

I actually don't think Silva is unbelievably fast compared to his opponents.
He moves in sync with his opponent like nobody else in MMA. He sees the strike coming even as his opponent makes initial preparation movements and moves accordingly; and after his opponent has thrown, Silva's counter is well on it's way to connecting.
Silva also tends to flow quite slowly and in a relaxed way, but when he explodes, he shocks his opponent by suddenly moving 10x as fast. Fedor used to explode like that and surprise his opponents too, but Fedor wasn't as technical as Silva (although Fedor was technically sound too).

No, I mean GSP has beaten more incredible fighters than has Anderson.

Don't forget, Henderson is Anderson's best win, and GSP beat a guy who beat him. There are several instances where a GSP opponent fought an Anderson opponent, and in almost every single one, the GSP opponent won; I think it's six out of seven.

MMAth at its worst

Has Anderson beaten anyone whose legacy is even remotely as good as Hughes? The only one who comes even close is Henderson, but I don't think he's that close.

Henderson is the most decorated fighter in mma history. He has more top 10 wins than Hughes. Henderson has more 'incredible' wins than Hughes. He is on par with Hughes.

Fitch is an insanely good fighter and a fantastic win. So is Shields. So is Condit.

And so is Nate, so is Okami, so is Chael...

You dismiss Koscheck, and yet he's as good as Sonnen (he actually has sub defense to go with his elite wrestling).

Koscheck is a very good win for GSP but Sonnen is on another level. Koscheck has not dominated anyone on the level of Paulo Filho, Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami, Michael Bisping, and Anderson Silva. Koscheck is a very good fighter but Sonnen is elite.

I think Anderson is the best fighter in the world, but honestly, if he'd had to fight as many of the kind of fighters GSP has faced, I think he'd have lost some of those fights. People complain GSP has fought a lot of wrestlers, but they've been really, really good wrestlers, and those guys are hard to beat.

I would give the slight edge to GSP in strength of competition but Anderson dominates his at such a high degree that it more than makes up for it.

If he was really great he would be dominating people for 5 rounds. Unfortunately most of his wins are by KO so they are all flukes.

Fuck you Sherdog!

Happy New Year! :eek: :icon_lol: :cool:

100% this, winning by shot clock violation is much better

Last edited:
Funny how everyone forgets how worldbeaters like Takase and Chonan made Anderson tap. Chonan can be written off as a hail mary fluke (although Anderson wasn't exactly winning before then either), but Takase textbook owned him.

Funny how everyone forgets how Lutter easily mounted him and made him look helpless (although he gassed soon after like he always does).

Funny how terrified Anderson was to get anyone near worldbeater Leites on the ground.

Funny how Chael Sonnen made Anderson look like a little child for 5.5 of their 7 rounds together. You know, the guy who couldn't even make it out of the first round against Maia.

Anderson Silva will never be great as long as he hides several weight classes below his natural weight and keeps on ducking JJ (or any top ranked HWs).

JJ has never looked anywhere near as bad as Anderson has, and it would still be a stretch to call JJ great (although another few wins and he's there).

It just seems like your getting really frustrated with this discussion and exaggerating everything now to your benefit. LOL holy jeebus.

lol. I edited my post. the only reason I say theyre close in accomplishments is because of how much Jones accomplished in such a short time. anderson is still ahead, now that i think of it

i don't see how shogun or rampage were goign to beat ones with the game plan they brought to the table. the rashad and machida wins were legit though and i hate jones. most of the guys jones beat were on a downward spiral anyways and him having the same reach as 7'0 stephan struve doesn't help. i think we he moves to hw we will see something change, especially when he faces THE REEM.

Dude. You are hitting crack pipe territory now. Slow down.

He is a very elusive fighter..............................literally. Pick you opponents, one dimensional skilled guys and KO the hell out of them for GOAT status. He is more of a company champ than a fighting champ IMO. If he wants to challenge the GOAT status then he should let the fans vote for all 10 fights all wrestlers.
Top 10 remaining fights for Spider
JBJ
Weidman
Cormier
Cain
GSP
rematch them all and in that order. :)

Last edited:
MMAth at its worst

Henderson is the most decorated fighter in mma history. He has more top 10 wins than Hughes. Henderson has more 'incredible' wins than Hughes. He is on par with Hughes.

And so is Nate, so is Okami, so is Chael...

Koscheck is a very good win for GSP but Sonnen is on another level. Koscheck has not dominated anyone on the level of Paulo Filho, Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami, Michael Bisping, and Anderson Silva. Koscheck is a very good fighter but Sonnen is elite.

I would give the slight edge to GSP in strength of competition but Anderson dominates his at such a high degree that it more than makes up for it.

Well, considering how biased an Anderson fan you are, the fact you give GSP the edge in competition speaks volumes... If you say he has the edge, then obviously he has quite a huge edge. But... This has been common knowledge for a long time now.

If Koscheck were a MW he'd look elite, too. He'd beat Sonnen, if they were the same size. Better wrestling, heavier hands, actually dangerous on the ground, and he has submission defense. Not the smartest fighter in the world (trying to out strike Alves was a pretty huge mistake), but then again, neither is Sonnen.

I actually took you seriously at first but I don't anymore. And the only reason Jones might not surpass Anderson in 1 or 2 yrs is because he's cleaned out the most stacked division in MMA, which is more than I can say for Anderson, who fought in a much weaker division.

You should take me seriously; you might learn some things.

snksas.jpg

He is a very elusive fighter..............................literally. Pick you opponents, one dimensional skilled guys and KO the hell out of them for GOAT status. He is more of a company champ than a fighting champ IMO. If he wants to challenge the GOAT status then he should let the fans vote for all 10 fights all wrestlers.
Top 10 remaining fights for Spider
JBJ
Weidman
Cormier
Cain
GSP
rematch them all and in that order. :)

lol. this is a joke post right, it's very hard to sense sarcasm, especially on these forums.

When you haven't had an elite matchup in years its not hard to achieve "greatness". The best fighter with the worst resume ever.

Back