Why is Anderson Silva so great?!

8 times out of 10 Henderson will beat Shields. The other 2 times? It'll be because Henderson was weight drained. And I stand by what I said: Fitch, Koscheck, Shields, and Condit are not incredible fighters.

Well, they fought one time, and Shields won. It doesn't really matter who wins on Fantasy Island.

If you're so sure Anderson's wins are better than GSP's, please feel free to list his top ten wins and then GSP's so we can compare.

So is it safe to say the real GOAT is out of GSP or Jones? Which one would you pick?

I think it's safe to say GOAT is a silly argument that can never be won, just like P4P, but if I had a gun to my head I'd pick Anderson, just from having watched him fight.

The man is supernatural.

Jones is years away from consideration; lots of guys have looked invincible for a year or two.

Well, they fought one time, and Shields won. It doesn't really matter who wins on Fantasy Island.

If you're so sure Anderson's wins are better than GSP's, please feel free to list his top ten wins and then GSP's so we can compare.

Again, it's not about beating excellent opposition, it's about beating incredible opposition. In stuning fashion too. Anderson has beat the following incredible fighters: Forrest at 205(embarrassed him), Vitor Belfort(embarrassed him), Rich Franklinx2(beat the crap out of him and finished him both times), Dan Henderson(finished him).

GSP has beat the following incredible fighters: BJ Pennx2(whose best weight is lightweight, close fight the first time, beat the crap out of him the second time), and Matt Hughesx2(finished both times)

I think it's safe to say GOAT is a silly argument that can never be won, just like P4P, but if I had a gun to my head I'd pick Anderson, just from having watched him fight.

The man is supernatural.

Jones is years away from consideration; lots of guys have looked invincible for a year or two.

Noone has done what Jones did in the time he did it in. I hate Jones but his greatness can't be denied. Neither can his affectation.

The man is supernatural.

Exactly my point. Anyone can get hot for a couple of years. It was supposed to be the Machida era. JDS was supposed to be unstoppable before this weekend. There has been ONE champion who has been constant all these years in the UFC. No flukes. No slip ups. Even the night when everything went wrong he still won.

There are so many ways you can lose the title. I don't care how bad people pretend Anderson's competition is he defended it everytime. Rampage lost to forrest. GSP lost to serra. BJ lost to Edgar twice. JJ doesn't even have half the title defenses Anderson has yet and people are throwing the word GOAT around.

And I say this as the person who made this http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/so-7-years-now-when-jon-jones-goat-1109674/

That was during the Hamill fight.

Exactly my point. Anyone can get hot for a couple of years. It was supposed to be the Machida era. JDS was supposed to be unstoppable before this weekend. There has been ONE champion who has been constant all these years in the UFC. No flukes. No slip ups. Even the night when everything went wrong he still won.

There are so many ways you can lose the title. I don't care how bad people pretend Anderson's competition is he defended it everytime. Rampage lost to forrest. GSP lost to serra. BJ lost to Edgar twice. JJ doesn't even have half the title defenses Anderson has yet and people are throwing the word GOAT around.

And I say this as the person who made this http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/so-7-years-now-when-jon-jones-goat-1109674/

That was during the Hamill fight.

Not on the level Jones has done, in the amount of time he's done it in. The Machida era was what, one fight? He didn't even truly defend his belt, Shogun was robbed. Then Shogun exposed him the next fight.

If he was really great he would be dominating people for 5 rounds. Unfortunately most of his wins are by KO so they are all flukes.

Fuck you Sherdog!

Happy New Year! :eek: :icon_lol: :cool:

Not on the level Jones has done, in the amount of time he's done it in. The Machida era was what, one fight? He didn't even truly defend his belt, Shogun was robbed. Then Shogun exposed him the next fight.
His title reign

Machida-Rashad-rampage-Vitor(???)-(Chael?)

Cmon the first 3 are great but you don't get the goat by beating 3 people and then fighting 2 people from a lower weight class coming off losses.

He needs to defend his title more before he is even in the GOAT discussion. I predict he probably will be the goat but people pretend if Jon Jones retires tomorrow he is goat.

thats not the way it works. he is having a nice run is all.

If he was really great he would be dominating people for 5 rounds. Unfortunately most of his wins are by KO so they are all flukes.

Fuck you Sherdog!

Happy New Year! :eek: :icon_lol: :cool:

Hahaha best post of 2013 so far!

His title reign

Machida-Rashad-rampage-Vitor(???)-(Chael?)

Cmon the first 3 are great but you don't get the goat by beating 3 people and then fighting 2 people from a lower weight class coming off losses.

He needs to defend his title more before he is even in the GOAT discussion. I predict he probably will be the goat but people pretend if Jon Jones retires tomorrow he is goat.

thats not the way it works. he is having a nice run is all.

I agree, he needs more time. But I think it is inevitable. He's not just having a nice run. Bisping has nice runs. Jones cuts through the LHW division like a hot knife through butter. If it was just a nice run, he will lose in the near future. I don't think Jones is going to lose in the next 3 years as long as doesn't go up to fight the HW champ.

Because he never loses, the great fighters he's beaten and the ways he beat them. You put anybody else who could be a champion in that division and win equally impressively against guys that Silva has already beaten but they won't even come close against Silva. That's why.

for the ppl mentioning jones like he's better than anderson silva, here's something for you to think about...

jones needed 4 rounds to to finish a vitor belfort while anderson did a fatality on him in 3min30s.
he also finished roided stephan bonnar while inside the matrix in 4.40s. while jones wasnt able to in 3 rounds.

ppl give 2 much credit to the lhw division (because of name value). everyone besides jones, alexander gustafson and maybe rashad evans are past their prime and heading into retirement.

Why is Anderson Silva so great?!: 1- incredible confidence in his ability
2- GOAT reflexes
3- Granite jaw
4- Michael jackson footwork skills
5- long arms an legs
5- good ground game

I also would like to add this:

Chael is one of my favorite fighters. But I believe Jones can go on a BJ Penn offseason diet and workout plan and defeat him. Have you seen that movie "The Great White Hype"? I think it'll look something like that.

I read somewhere that Andersone said the most important thing is to have fun in there.

He has a good attitude. He enjoys what he does. He's a happy man.

for the ppl mentioning jones like he's better than anderson silva, here's something for you to think about...

jones needed 4 rounds to to finish a vitor belfort while anderson did a fatality on him in 3min30s.
he also finished roided stephan bonnar while inside the matrix in 4.40s. while jones wasnt able to in 3 rounds.

ppl give 2 much credit to the lhw division (because of name value). everyone besides jones, alexander gustafson and maybe rashad evans are past their prime and heading into retirement.

This is what ive been trying to say for a long time. The LHW div is an aging group of fighters that are small LHWs/MWs that are almost out of their prime or out of it.
LHW just isnt the shark tank it once was 4 years ago.
Imo jones is a young huge LHW that is dominating a weak and aging division.

Again, it's not about beating excellent opposition, it's about beating incredible opposition. In stuning fashion too. Anderson has beat the following incredible fighters: Forrest at 205(embarrassed him), Vitor Belfort(embarrassed him), Rich Franklinx2(beat the crap out of him and finished him both times), Dan Henderson(finished him).

GSP has beat the following incredible fighters: BJ Pennx2(whose best weight is lightweight, close fight the first time, beat the crap out of him the second time), and Matt Hughesx2(finished both times)

You're wrong.

Shields, Fitch and Condit are better than Forrest, Rich or Victor; it isn't close. Just look at what these guys have done in their own divisions. I'm not saying they (F, R & V) aren't great fighters because they are, but they didn't carry the insane momentum into their fights that S, F & C did. Those guys were dominating in their own division for years.

Hughes is a better win than anyone Anderson has ever beaten; he was so good people are STILL arguing he could be the Welterweight GOAT.

This has been argued a thousand time, but it's the one area where GSP is clearly ahead. His strength of schedule is second to none.

Back