Why is Alex Chambers +1025 against Paige?

No question about Paige should be favored but very possible she loses a decision. Unreal odds.....

Paige is not losing a decision here. If she does lose it will most likely be by submission similar to the way Curran lost to Chambers.

Paige's advantages in aggression and athleticism over Chambers is not going to allow her to lose a decision. She'll be the one forcing the action the whole time.

i think make sense put money on Chambers.

Come on, WMMA is not even properly stablished yet, anything can happen

Actually that's why "anything" is less likely to happen. WMMA is not properly established and the pool of talent is still quite shallow. That means that unlike in the men's divisions, the disparities in athleticism and overall talent tend to be much wider. In this case Paige is clearly the superior athlete, and that alone should carry her.

I dont know why you felt need to explain that to TS. TS cant wonder why arent people betting more on Chambers?

Lol, thats exactly what he said. You are the jackass, my friend.

Lmao I must've only saw his first paragraph and not the last line. Statement retracted.

1. Chambers is old AF
2. Chambers is not athletic at all
3. Chambers is a small SW
4. Chambers striking (Offense and defense) is not good at all
5. Chambers only chance is getting a sub but PVZ is competant enough on the ground to stay out of trouble

I Don't want to crap all over my countrymen (or women) . Alex has a lot of heart, I was there when she fought Curran and everyone went mental when Alex locked in the arm. Seems like a cool girl and I wish her the best but PVZ wins this ITD

I can't see a way for PVZ to win this TBH

Chambers has better striking and KO power. PVZ has no power and her striking is a wmma-hater's stereotype made real. So PVZ better not stand and trade.

Chamber has slick subs with fast victories over top ranked fighters. PVZ is very subbable and has no sub game herself. So PVZ better not grapple on the ground.

The only path to victory for PVZ is wall and stall. Which happens to be her speciality... but it won't be enough.

My advice: Sell your house and put it all on Chambers. Then you can buy 10 houses!
Or just 2-3 really big houses. Or something.
Remember to thank me afterwards.

PVZ is pretty reckless with her top game and a savvy BJJ player like Chambers could catch her. I just don't know enough about Chambers to know exactly how good her BJJ is. Chambers training with ATT is a good sign though.

I think there is value betting on Chambers at those odds.

People are betting heavy on Paige because 1) People have no clue who Chambers is 2) she has every physical advantage in this match up 3) Chambers hasn't looked good inside the ufc

This is all true, but for people who bet: take these odds! Chambers subbing PVZ is a definite and real possibility, regardless of how many rounds she loses to Paige's pressure offense.

Jarl

Because the bookies want to make money and everyone is gonna bet on PVZ no matter what the odds are. Plus if they fought 15 times I still think PVZ wins all 15 of them....so ya.

PVZ is -1500

That being said some might definiltely say there is value on Alex b/c PVZ is still young and could slip up and get caught in a sub, but I wouldn't bet a lot on it.

Um, that is not how bookies work at all. Bookies want even money so they make the vig. Bookies who take a position are bookies that go out of business.

Um, that is not how bookies work at all. Bookies want even money so they make the vig. Bookies who take a position are bookies that go out of business.

If Paige is -1500 they don't want the same amount of money bet on Paige that is bet on Chambers. What they want is to pay out the same, or roughly.

Therefore at those odds they want somewhere between 10 and 15x more money bet on Paige so that they'll pay out about the same total amount no matter who wins.

I'm not sure what in the person you responded to's post made you believe he didn't understand that.

Last edited:
Actually that's why "anything" is less likely to happen. WMMA is not properly established and the pool of talent is still quite shallow. That means that unlike in the men's divisions, the disparities in athleticism and overall talent tend to be much wider. In this case Paige is clearly the superior athlete, and that alone should carry her.

All that could have gone for Kaitlin Curran as well and she got caught being sloppy on top. PVZ is still green and can be a little sloppy

All that could have gone for Kaitlin Curran as well and she got caught being sloppy on top. PVZ is still green and can be a little sloppy

And I would agree that's Chambers' chance to win this fight but generally speaking when you have to rely on getting a submission to win that means your chances are pretty poor to start with.

TS was talking about Chambers having a good chance to beat Paige by decision and that's just not how these fighters profile against each other. I didn't expect Paige to be this much of a favorite but it doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

I have really enjoyed watching PVZ fight. But this is not a high challenge fight for a #7 ranked fighter. I don't blame PVZ. She stated that she wasn't ready for a high ranked fighter yet and she does still need more experience. But the UFC should hold back on the high ranking until she is ready for the big show. At least Sherdog is doing it right by not giving her any mention on rankings.

Alex was getting worked by Kailin Curran PVZ does exactly what Curran does, but better

I have really enjoyed watching PVZ fight. But this is not a high challenge fight for a #7 ranked fighter. I don't blame PVZ. She stated that she wasn't ready for a high ranked fighter yet and she does still need more experience. But the UFC should hold back on the high ranking until she is ready for the big show. At least Sherdog is doing it right by not giving her any mention on rankings.

if she wants lesser ranked fighters and more experience she needs to go back to invicta. Ufc is "suppose" to be the big show.

if she wants lesser ranked fighters and more experience she needs to go back to invicta. Ufc is "suppose" to be the big show.

No. It's far far more likely at this point that the UFC would want to accommodate her wishes to fight lesser fighters for a while than it is that they would allow her to go back to Invicta so her approach is actually quite reasonable.

IDK, there is no reason someone who is amateur at best, is -1000 against any one. I hope Paige wins, and wins the next one too, just so Joanna can destroy her andend the hype.

I have to disagree on your comparison to the men's division. Your argument stands if we are talking about FW (145), LW (155), and WW (170), but I think Straw Weight for the women easily has more competition and is less shallow than HW, MW, and Fly weight for the men. And the level of competition will be even higher for the Straw Weights as time goes on. HW, LHW, and MW for the men also have a large number of much older fighters in the Top 15 and very few new young prospects that are showing promise.

Straw Weight Ages
---------------------------
Joanna Jedrzejczyk 28
Claudia Gadelha 26
Carla Esparza 27
Rose Namajunas 23
Jessica Penne 32
Tecia Torres 26
Randa Markos 30
Paige VanZant 21
Joanne Calderwood 29
Maryna Moroz 23
Valerie Letourneau 32
Michelle Waterson 29
Jessica Aguilar 33

Highly touted Straw Weights not in UFC yet
-------------------------------
Livia Renata Souza 24
Alexa Grasso 22

Last edited:
People linemakers need a # that entices people to bet on Chambers. And since anybody that knows Chambers is pretty damn sure she can't win since she's over 35 and a natural atomweight...... so casual gamblers going against the hot girl is over 10/1.

Not really. Look at the men's MW and HW division. We have 40+ year old men fighting and they are anything but the big show. They are more like the slow show. Unless you just want to see a KO, the HW division only has a few fighters left that are even using a variety of martial arts in their wins/loses.

The UFC Straw Weight women are becoming a force in MMA and as long as PVZ continues to win, let her continue to develop her skills. Having said that, she doesn't deserve main card appearances, bonus pay, or big pay checks unless she is fighting high ranked opponents.

Last edited:
Back